Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

BTW, how are the HD650s treating you. I'm getting a pair this week.

Well, besides the fact that I still don't have a DAC or an AMP they are amazing. I just can't afford anything right now (if I wasn't getting a guitar I would buy an amp/dac instead).

ATM yes due to a different tube being used, but hopefully it'll drop back down soon.

I wish you were able to rename the columns in Microsoft Excel, seems like an oversight.

I think there is a way, but I don't know what it is.

On a much happier note, we got a netbook! HP Mini 110. Got it on refurb for $200 and traded the 1GB dimm for a 2GB one from a friend since he wasn't using the laptop it was in. Win7 runs great, the build quality is great, the screen is great, the keyboard is great, though the only-slightly-less-than-full-size-ness of it is taking a bit of getting used to. I can't get over how tiny the power brick is. Only issue is that I can't seem to find the proper driver for the trackpad; can't the virtual scrollwheel to work. Not a big deal though, as it's for my girlfriend primarily and she never uses virtual scrollwheels, as annoying as that is to me.

I really need to upgrade my Aspire One. 1 GB RAM is a bit sluggish with Windows 7, but I can only go to 1.5 and it's a royal pain to do so (yes, I got that one :rolleyes:)

I think there is a way, but I don't know what it is.

Only way I know is to title in Row 1 and then select that your columns have titles in your function IF it's an option. The only fxn I remember having that option is sort.

I really need to upgrade my Aspire One. 1 GB RAM is a bit sluggish with Windows 7, but I can only go to 1.5 and it's a royal pain to do so (yes, I got that one :rolleyes:)

1gb ram is not sluggish if you very familiar with windows (read: loads of tinkering and tweaks).

Only way I know is to title in Row 1 and then select that your columns have titles in your function IF it's an option. The only fxn I remember having that option is sort.

Yeah, you might be right, but for most cases, just using Row 1 and adjusting the pane works fine.

1gb ram is not sluggish if you very familiar with windows (read: loads of tinkering and tweaks).

We'll see what happens after I do the upgrade (eventually). Low RAM is currently only a hypothesis. I just noticed a performance drop when I switched to 7 (I guess it was to be expected). It's still fine for everyday use.

EDIT: Alright, I'll bite, can you clue me in on some of these "tweaks?" I consider myself a pretty advanced user.

Please don't make me turn off Aero. I like Aero.

Last edited:
Are there any websites/stores in the US that are very good and cheap? My mum is going on a business trip over the pond in a few weeks, so can pick stuff up. We do have the ability to deliver to a US address. I know of Newegg and Amazon, but nothing much else really. Thanks :)

Yeah, you might be right, but for most cases, just using Row 1 and adjusting the pane works fine.
I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who don't know how to use freeze pane! It's one of my favorite features and people are always weirded out when they look at my worksheets set up that way.
Are there any websites/stores in the US that are very good and cheap? My mum is going on a business trip over the pond in a few weeks, so can pick stuff up. We do have the ability to deliver to a US address. I know of Newegg and Amazon, but nothing much else really. Thanks :)
Most brick and mortar stores aren't dreadfully cheap and don't have hardware bits. What are you looking to buy? Best Buy is probably the most common place to shop, but the staff aren't terribly educated and prices are average to expensive.

^With a few exceptions, though. Occasionally BB will have a surprisingly low price for something. I always go to Newegg before anything else, and have always found them to have the best, or close to the best prices for computer hardware. Shipping is always great from them as well. If you want refurb products, eCost.com seems pretty good, and Amazon is always worth checking out.

The only thing with newegg and amazon and such are that he doesn't have a shipping address. Most of those places are understandably loathe to ship to a country that differs from the billing address. Sucks, but you can see why.

I rarely feel utterly ripped off at BB, but I can't remember the last time I bought something simply because it was a really good deal. I don't buy that much techware though. I will say you can sometimes get awesome deals on things like blank CDs, thumb drives, and basic keyboard and such if you catch a Target clearance. Probably not worth a special trip though.

Actually come to think about it, I think the work around with amazon is to buy yourself a gift certificate and then use that to buy your product and have it shipped wherever you want. I don't know if that still works or not.

Last edited:
I got a 20" 1600 x 900 LCD monitor for $100 last year at BB. They can occasionally have deals (I've heard stories of clearance video cards), but as a general rule, same overpriced crap as any other electronics store.

Does anyone here own a BenQ netbook?

They look to be pretty decent value.

Actually come to think about it, I think the work around with amazon is to buy yourself a gift certificate and then use that to buy your product and have it shipped wherever you want. I don't know if that still works or not.

I tried that with a UK gift voucher and a US Kindle; didn't work. Might have to be a US gift voucher.