Best console racing sim?

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
What do you guys think is the best console racing sim? Lets try to keep it to games that have been release (i'm looking at you GT5 :lol:)

I always thought that Enthusia had the best physics engine. Even in the realm of Forza 3 and NFS Shift (for what it's worth) it still looks good. Here is a sample for what I'm on about for those who never played this gem:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqkR_s4ky_o&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Notice how the viper transitions in the corners. It just looks like how a real car would behave. Often times when you watch FM3 replays, the cars look really 'darty' because the steering input is not realistic. Pay close attention to 5:38-5:51. The suspension modeling is dead on accurate. I think its the closest a console game has gotten to LFS levels of simulation.

Enthusia was also the ONLY game I've ever come across that replicated an actual automatic transmission. And it did so rather convincingly:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWmw_dkE3c[/YOUTUBE]

I remember that it would shift low if you weren't going full throttle (like a proper auto should)

Sure the career mode was very weak and car modification was pretty slim, but it sure was fun to drive in that game, and isn't that the point? The game also had a mountain road (better than Fujimo IMO) set at night and desert racing (!!!)

I miss my PS2 :(

My favorite has always been the first Gran Turismo since it was my first Racing game that i purchased and was completely blown away by the graphics in the game.
Problem here is that everyone is going to have their own favorite racing sim. One persons classic is another person's turkey. I mean there's even a chance that someone might claim Need For Speed: Shift as being the best of all time. Which would then be followed up by the men in white turning up to cart them off to the funny farm and a cell with padded wallpaper.

I still have my PS2 and many (original, not burnt) games.

Enthusia of which is one, Enthusia physics + Forza mods = :drool:

I personally like Forza.

^What he said!

I still wouldn't call it a real simulator though. Simbin games are... odd. They're good but, odd.

But this is from a man who thinks iRacing, LFS and NetKar Pro are the only "real" simulators. :p

Race Pro
Forza 3
GT4 (Haven't played enough GT5 to pass a fair judgment)

I still wouldn't call it a real simulator though. Simbin games are... odd. They're good but, odd.

But this is from a man who thinks iRacing, LFS and NetKar Pro are the only "real" simulators. :p

I feel the same about simbin. There is just something artificial about it. LFS feels just about right.

It's aged a bit now but I can't deny that I have spent way too many hours with GT4.

It's aged a bit now but I can't deny that I have spent way too many hours with GT4.

Agreed. With all the time i've spent on gt4, gt3, bf2 and ace combat 2 im suprised i found any time to breathe when i was younger.

I feel the same about simbin. There is just something artificial about it. LFS feels just about right.

I think it's mostly to do with the way suspension is modeled in Race Pro. The tires feel pretty good, the feedback is pretty good, but the way the weight moves around and the way bumps feel is just off. The tracks are kind of low detail, too - the crest of corkscrew at Laguna, for instance, is incredibly bumpy and easy to get air on.

I think Forza might be more technically proficient - more variables, more calculations, but I think the values that they put into the simulation make it unrealistic. I'd bet if they had proper slip angle curves, reduced the grip to appropriate levels, softened up the suspension so that the cars dive and roll more and got rid of that darn steering aid during drifts it would feel pretty close to LFS.

I think it's mostly to do with the way suspension is modeled in Race Pro. The tires feel pretty good, the feedback is pretty good, but the way the weight moves around and the way bumps feel is just off. The tracks are kind of low detail, too - the crest of corkscrew at Laguna, for instance, is incredibly bumpy and easy to get air on.

I think Forza might be more technically proficient - more variables, more calculations, but I think the values that they put into the simulation make it unrealistic. I'd bet if they had proper slip angle curves, reduced the grip to appropriate levels, softened up the suspension so that the cars dive and roll more and got rid of that darn steering aid during drifts it would feel pretty close to LFS.

You should play enthusia. It feels almost identical to FM except but with the changes you just noted.

I don?t understand how Enthusia is never remembered when people talk about Console Sim Racers ... I guess it was forgotten because it was launched at almost the same time as GT4 and was a lot harder to play...

I would kill for Enthusia 2 for the X360...

( And It had something no game had back then , off road racing where you would get stuck :lol: )

starfox07 said:
I remember that it would shift low if you weren't going full throttle (like a proper auto should)

Midnight Club also does that :lol:

Last edited: