Food! [The thread that started this section]

Brown sauce!

Wait...which one of use lives in the South/Midwest...?:p

Heh. Well, it's a strange week here that we don't have elk, deer or pronghorn 3-4 times.

Heh. Well, it's a strange week here that we don't have elk, deer or pronghorn 3-4 times.

I've always wanted to try pronghorn....they look so tasty when I drove past some in Yellowstone.:D

I've always wanted to try pronghorn....they look so tasty when I drove past some in Yellowstone.:D

It depends. If you catch them by surprise and make a clean kill to drop them, they're a lot better than if you don't surprise them or your shot isn't quite clean enough and they run off half a mile before dying. The stress and running right before death really toughens up the meat and ever after a week or two aging in the garage they're still pretty tough. A relaxed one will have much more tender meat. Either way though, it's pretty good. :lol:

Yeah, but that's with pretty much any game. That's the case with Whitetail deer, and that's the case with bison. *shrugs*

Pronghorn moreso though, they're leaner and they run at twice the speed of deer. They're a lot more high strung than deer, especially bison.

Last edited:
I did my special fried rice - Bacon, eggs in an omelette, garlic, onion green/spring/scallions (Take your pick - language rather than food), White onion, Mushrooms, Prawns, Sweet corn, peas, carrots, Rice, lots of basmati rice actually, salt & pepper plus Soy Sauce - missed the sweet chilli today usually I put that in too. Do the rice a day early and microwave it up. btw There is not enough Bacon recently - MORE BACON especially smoked.

Last edited:
Dinner from tonight...Weiner schnitzel, sauerkraut, red cabbage, hot German potato salad...not shown, Black forest cake. It was tasty.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cl/clockwerk/2010/03/27/German_dinner.jpg

Uh oh... German clich? food mixed together :lol:

I'm sorry but that looks even nastier, than the stuff you can get at the worst German fast food ("Imbissbude") around the corner here :p

Oh and btw., it's only called "Wiener Schnitzel" (Vienna Schnitzel), when the meat is veal and when it comes without sauce. You can recognize it by its bubbly surface. Here is a pic of a real Wiener Schnitzel. You rarely get that in restaurants, though.

When pork is used instead, it has to be officially named "Schnitzel Wiener Art" (Schnitzel Vienna Style) on menus :D And yes, that is an official regulation by EU law :D

What you have there, looks more like a "J?gerschnitzel" (Hunter's Schnitzel), which means it is served with a brown, creamy mushroom sauce -- only yours has no mushrooms. What kind of sauce is it anyway?

The potato salad looks like the "D?sseldorf style" they make in the Rhineland, with vinegar instead of mayo. Not the most popular and wide-spread recipe, I guess. You mostly will get potato salad with mayo and eggs here.

Final question: Why mixing Sauerkraut with red cabbage? That's a really weird combination. Red cabbage is almost only used with dark meat here (beef, venison, lamb, rabbit, duck), while Sauerkraut is almost only served with fried sausages or Schweinshaxe (knuckle of pork).

Schnitzel is mostly served with cauliflower, broccoli, peas and carrots or green beans here.

I like my schnitzel best with a creamy green pepper sauce, herb butter, fries and bacon-wrapped green beans :woot:

Last edited:
^I assume the owner (old German guy) is just selling what people see as typical German fare.

^I assume the owner (old German guy) is just selling what people see as typical German fare.

Just as German as spaghetti and meatballs is an authenic Italian dish. ;)

I once sent this book to an Australian friend of mine as a Christmas present and she was very enthusiastic about it.

Seems to be the best source for folks who want to try themselves on authentic German cooking.

So I've been pretty stressed and anxious lately, about a lot of different things, family and such. I decided to do what fat girls do best, and bake. I was going to just make some lemon custard (the lemon part of a lemon pie) and eat it just like that since it's my favorite part anyway, but then Redliner and I were chatting in IM and he says "you gotta try my pie crust." It sounded simple and easy, and I had all the ingredients so I figured why not make a real pie.

Well first of all, let me tell you if Redliner gives you a recipe and it calls for butter in a system of measurement you aren't immediately familiar with, go on and convert it first. Holy butter batman! The measurement was in grams and in my visual gustimate 200g of anything isn't that much. I got out my little scale and pat after pat after pat. This crust has enough butter to make Paula Dean blush. Anyway so convert your units folks. You learned to in high school and I'm reminding you now. It's good practice.

Well anyway, we all know butter does make for good eats I hope. Everything is still too hot to eat.

Baked crust
0405101952-00.jpg

Crust filled with lemon custard, extra crust made into cookies
0405102018-00.jpg

I had some egg whites left over in the fridge from the meringue cookies last week and it came out great! A first for me!
100_3821.jpg

Since the crust was thicker than I expected and the custard took more lemon than usual, I had extra custard that I baked in some pyrex bowls, finished pie, finished cookies.
100_3824.jpg

I already feel better, and I haven't eaten a bite.

Hmmm...now to find out how fast I can drive from Oklahoma to what I have gathered is Alabama...:D

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to flydiscovery again.