Who's done a lot of group drives / cruises?

I'm planning another one in the coming weeks and I'm thinking of making it TSD-rally style - everyone is given directions (happy? :p) the day of with various checkpoints outlined along the way. Go at whatever pace you are comfortable at, stop at the checkpoint, wait for everyone else to get there, hang out for a bit, move on to the next one. It won't be timed or anything, obv. This way I won't have to worry about people getting lost, the convoy breaking up, etc, and no one is following anyone so pace shouldn't be an issue (hopefully). I'll encourage people to follow speed limits though so that everyone is more-or-less on the same schedule. Thoughts?

I don't care if you go over the limit as long as everyone agrees on the pace and no one puts any other road users in danger.

Share the route
Designate a lead and sweep - break into paced groups if needed.
Use radios, or if you are going to be in cell phone range, make sure the lead and sweep have phone numbers.

Make sure you have at least basic stuff to deal with a crash, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and some basic tools.

Pretty much everything that has already been mentioned.

Oh! Look! A penis measuring contest!

Who's gonna win, LeVeL or Blind_Io?

You aren't having a discussion. You're both showing off how perfectly you can each organize a drive in the countryside.

Oh! Look! A penis measuring contest!

Who's gonna win, LeVeL or Blind_Io?
To put this to rest my penis is bigger than theirs (combined) we have measured, with lasers....

LeVeL,
Not sure if the rally idea is a good one. It works pretty well for having only one or two points you want to hit but if you end up with a lot of checkpoints and people driving at different paces it will be a pain.

For radios, don't bother with walkie talkies - they suck. I have played with them for the same reasons and connection is very spotty even if you are right next to the car. I suggest CB radios for Lead, Sweep and whoever else can get one.

Do give directions to everyone being concerned about being lost is a problem I for one end up driving very hectic or riding the lead's ass so I don't get separated.

On GPS,
Different models/makes have different ways of providing directions and accuracy. Some will try to reroute around traffic, keep that in mind.

On general conduct rules.
Generally what we would do is hold a meeting before.
In the meeting we would outline all the rules of the cruise. As part of the meeting people were told "If you are not OK with this/want to race/do stupid shit, feel free to pass the convoy and go anywhere you want" You either accept the rules or have no business driving with the group...

Stop the bantering, enjoy the fact that the cruise worked out, and post some pics!

Stop the bantering, enjoy the fact that the cruise worked out, and post some pics!
having trouble getting the pics off my camera (long story), but here are other people's shots:

4473531486_be96fb813a_b.jpg

4473504420_ca9ff68837_b.jpg

4472724933_0258572c62_b.jpg

4472723153_ec5598ea62_b.jpg

4472721081_08e7f3af02_b.jpg

4473506438_1a76827c62_b.jpg

image020.jpg

image001.jpg

image014.jpg

image004.jpg

image007.jpg

image009.jpg

image010.jpg

image015.jpg

image006.jpg

image003.jpg

image002.jpg

image008.jpg

Okay, so, who's got that pool software? I'm going to take the 'goes wrong within 45 minutes' position.

This is a really, really, really stupid idea. If I have to explain why this is a terribly stupid and potentially fatal idea, you have no goddamn business organizing a ride or cruise.

The cruises I go on do the exact same thing, and it works. The person behind looks after the person behind and no one gets lost. Follow the leader and watch your ass.

Besides, you can always print out maps and distrubute at the meet point. That way police won't know where you're going (the police do look around forums in this country... ugh).

Any ideas what else can be done to ensure that no one does anything dumb? (And don't bother suggesting that we just stay at home.)

Ive done a few drives with Fiero clubs over the years. Even with a majority of owners being middle aged or older theres still always a few who like to mash on it a bit more than the others. Solution? Let them drive up front lol. I dont think you can get away from the wreckless even if it was a prius club lol
http://img717.imageshack.**/img717/4791/convoy.jpg
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=104255237

Last edited: