Your Camera Equipment

I use Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-12 and Samsung S760.

I find the latest 18-55mm is vastly superior than my one that came with the 350d. It bokeh'd the hell out of anything! (Yes- i'm at that stage on the chart.)
Didn't the 350D come with a non-IS 18-55mm? So is the "latest" one just the IS one then?

Reaaaallly really tempted by the Canon 7D at the moment.

Everything I read makes me want one even more;

ISO 12,800
1080p/23.97 video
AF in video mode
AF point adjustment can be done across/down instead of scrolling through one by one like on my 400d
Separate focal points remembered for portrait vs landscape shooting
Built in controller for Canon flashes (so I can use my 430ex for off camera shooting, and there is a built in flash that is adjustable that I could use for fill in tricky situations where I forget my other flashes etc!)

I think all of those things would be massively helpful for me, my partner is pregnant so we are going to need something capable of taking videos anyway so why not combine both video and photo. The ISO sensitivity will help with the sports I want to start shooting (hockey etc) where there are night games and it's hard to capture moving subjects clearly even at 200/2.8.

Faster AF would be excellent too as the 400d doesn't handle low light situations very well for focusing.

It's funny, the 7d appears all round to be a better finished camera than the 5d2 but the only downside is that it's a crop factor sensor. That said, for the sporting stuff the extra FOV doesn't worry me, and this way I get to keep using my 10-22mm (and can use that for videos which is just downright cool!)

Just thought I'd link to this sample of an ISO12800 shot from the 7D, curtesy of dpreview.

Yeah. It's got ISO12800. It looks like that.

:p

Does the AF in video mode on the 7D work like the next to useless 5D one, or it's a proper AF like you will find on a camcoder? Never tried video mode on a 7D before...

No, the focusing works like proper focusing in proper cameras. IE, there is none.

Just thought I'd link to this sample of an ISO12800 shot from the 7D, curtesy of dpreview.

Yeah. It's got ISO12800. It looks like that.

:p

Haha thanks for that,

I don't intend to shoot at 12,800 it's more an indication that noise-wise the sensor should be quite usable up to say ISO3200 which is significant when my current 400d can't shoot at ISO800 without unacceptable levels of noise (even ISO400 shows some significant grain/noise)

Does the AF in video mode on the 7D work like the next to useless 5D one, or it's a proper AF like you will find on a camcoder? Never tried video mode on a 7D before...

It works but depending on the subject and lens it may be a bit jittery (follow a subject with AF servo and your current camera) also with some lenses the internal mic in the camera picks up the sound of the focus motor.

Haha thanks for that,

I don't intend to shoot at 12,800 it's more an indication that noise-wise the sensor should be quite usable up to say ISO3200 which is significant when my current 400d can't shoot at ISO800 without unacceptable levels of noise (even ISO400 shows some significant grain/noise)

Yeah, it's usually a good mark of high ISO IQ to look at what ISO levels are available. If a camera has ISO12800, it's a good indication it's useless at that speed, but quite usable at lower speeds. But it's important to keep in mind that the studio results of DPR are really a best case scenario, with the motive properly and evenly lighted with perfect WB.

Anyone who's done some low light shooting know that's err.. a little unrealistic. In real life, you'll get worse IQ at high ISO. There is obviosly a case to be argued that the higher pixel count of the 7D makes the impact of each noise pixel less visible at relative printing (or viewing) sizes, and even if you find noise in your image, it's rarely that big of a problem unless it's nasty color noise or catastrophic banding. And tbh., I wouldn't be sad to use noise reduction software with the humongous files the 7D provides, you'll have to print fucking big to notice a real lack of sharpness. Even so, I think Canon had their head up their David Cameron when they thought putting 18mp on an APS-C sensor, it's just silly resolution. And you'll have to be very skilled to even get the most out of those pixels, most lenses aren't sharp enough, and in many cases the pixel density means stopping down to the better apertures will lead to diffraction.

There's been a lot of horror stories about the 7D producing soft files. Not having tried it, I can't tell any way, but I'm willing to bet a pint of bitter that it's due to soft lenses, diffraction and bad focusing.

Warning: Tinsy bit of Olympus fanboyism to follow:

I think it's funny that the pixel density of cameras like the 7D baffles a lot of the Canon EF-S lenses. Olympus had dealt with that pixel density (give or take) for ages, even with kit lenses, with no reported problem.

Weird.. :p

I guess if I get a 7d i'm going to be fairly lucky in terms of Lens resolution as I have a 50mm f/1.4 and 200mm f/2.8L which are two of the best lenses for IQ. The "soft" images sound like they could well be a misunderstanding of the way the focus points work - spot focus on say part of a face with no detail (i.e. a cheek) will be hit and miss for focus, there are a series of (quite long) videos on B&H regarding "how to use" for the 7D and there is another method that has a primary spot and then a group around where if it cannot find detail to focus on in the primary spot then it will look at the other spots around that one and pick the nearest object with detail. The other thing is of course that at 18mp any focus issues with lenses will be obvious - in that respect the MicroAdjustment feature available on the 7D will be really handy for correcting lenses.

As you said Nomix; using something like noiseninja on such a huge file will not sacrifice much sharpness when used for standard size prints or especially if used purely for digital/internet use.

The only lens I'm a little worried about is my EF-S 10-22 as it's got quite bad CA wide open and I'm hoping I won't get too much diffraction when stopped down otherwise it will be practically useless, i'm wondering if I shouldn't perhaps send it to Canon to see if it can be adjusted in any way to stop the CA when wide open.

And then there's people who complain about softness on a 7D while using something like the 18-135 wide open at 135mm. Yeah.

It does demand good glass, no doubt there.

It's still not brilliant, even with good glass. A classmate of mine has one, with good glass, but it comes nowhere near his 1Ds Mk II. Yes, Mk II.

The 1Ds mkII has less resolution with a larger sensor. Would be strange if it wasn't. But the 7D has a slightly better potential for resolution, given a sharp enough lens and a proper capture.

No, the sensor just can't cope. The ISO is the same. 1Ds mkII @ 1600 looks better than the 7D at 100. It's hard to believe, but I've seen the raws. :S

we demand proofs.. if its true i will buy mkII in an instant..