iPhone / iOS Thread

An application "Kill Switch" is on every mobile platform with an app store. Win Mo 6.5 got it with the introduction of Windows Marketplace for Mobile, and iOS has had it since the inception of apps, it's not new. :)

So far, only Microsoft hasn't used their kill switch yet (insert witty joke about there being no decent apps to kill) but Google should have released more details regarding why they used the kill switch instead of pulling an Apple and being vague. Vagueness when it comes to messing with a person's phone contents doesn't inspire confidence in the company's policies.

So far, only Microsoft hasn't used their kill switch yet (insert witty joke about there being no decent apps to kill) but Google should have released more details regarding why they used the kill switch instead of pulling an Apple and being vague. Vagueness when it comes to messing with a person's phone contents doesn't inspire confidence in the company's policies.

No, you just suck at the Internet. It was a misleading bad app created by a security researcher.

Cheers, I was wondering why Google was able to remotely kill apps on iphones.

Still wondering whether to get one. I'm used to using the phone I have now and can do everything with one hand, including take pictures, whereas the touchscreen requires 2 hands most of the time - especially considering you now have to hold the phone in some unnatural position ;).

Another stupid question but facetime is being touted as a big step forward etc but I've been able to video chat for years on my old phone, is that something that hasn't been available outside of Japan?

So I finally got a sim for my iPhone 4 and I can tell you that with the 'grip' it only goes down to 2 bars of signal, exactly like it did when I tried on the 3GS.

EDIT: Managed to provoke it once. No idea. Even when you hold it naturally in your left hand it seems okey.

Last edited:
So far, only Microsoft hasn't used their kill switch yet
I don't remember Apple doing remote wipes on any apps, I have a few discontinued apps on my phone and iTunes.
Cheers, I was wondering why Google was able to remotely kill apps on iphones.

Still wondering whether to get one. I'm used to using the phone I have now and can do everything with one hand, including take pictures, whereas the touchscreen requires 2 hands most of the time - especially considering you now have to hold the phone in some unnatural position ;).

Another stupid question but facetime is being touted as a big step forward etc but I've been able to video chat for years on my old phone, is that something that hasn't been available outside of Japan?

Japan has had more advanced cell phones/networks then the rest of the world for decades at this point. Video calling isn't really new to cell phones but it was never very popular in the western world. Also remember what Apple likes to do, they like to take existing tech, repackage it, sell it as a break through and make it retardedly popular.

EDIT: Managed to provoke it once. No idea. Even when you hold it naturally in your left hand it seems okey.

In the video he does seem to be holding it very tightly and in a fairly awkward position. I'm not bothered by this 'failing' at all.

It sounds to me like it might have been blown a bit out of proportion. There's a lot of other reports saying that they've been unable to replicate the problem, so what excactly is the cause? Specific networks?

I'm not worried about it at all, I don't actully hold it in my left hand when making calls either :b

I'm very much looking forward to getting the phone though.. Replacing my old HTC Touch Diamond is going to be so nice. Useless, old, slow piece of crap.

Another thing is, after I dropped my girlfriends camera into the ocean this week, when we were on vacation, I kept thinking how nice it's going to be to have phone with a decen camera :p

^ Yeah that as well with the camera. My current phone is a Samsung D900. Possibly the worst camera [equipment] I've ever used. Its so extremely slow, 90% of the time there is blur in the photos. And it takes the photo a good 5 seconds after you press the button.

This one drops anywhere from 1-4 bars. The wife already had one call drop out and I've seen signal go from 4 bars no no signal while holding it normally - that was before I heard about the problem, just noticed there was no signal and thought it was strange, changed my grip and it popped up to almost full. $30 for a rubber band is ridiculous.

$30 for a rubber band is ridiculous.

It is expensive, but it's more than just a rubber band. It has it's own volume and power buttons and such so you don't have to stick your finger in a little hole.

Pushing the rubber nipples is easier than trying to poke a small hole.

(They're actually metal, will take pics of mine when it arrives)

No, you just suck at the Internet. It was a misleading bad app created by a security researcher.

Curse me and my sucking at the internet! :p Point taken. :)

Looks like the antenna problem was predicted by a Danish professor 2 weeks before the phone shipped
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/26/iphone-4-antenna-problems-were-predicted-on-june-10-by-danish-pr/
Having said that, I personally do not talk on the phone, I use it as a mobile entertainment device. I watch anime/listen to music/read websites/books on it/IM once in a while but never really talk. The times I do use it as a phone I usually use the speaker or the headphones anyway. So I pretty much don't give a damn :p

Last edited:
It is expensive, but it's more than just a rubber band. It has it's own volume and power buttons and such so you don't have to stick your finger in a little hole.

Ah, forgot about that. Still expensive in my mind, but I'm a cheap bastard.

Having said that, I personally do not talk on the phone, I use it as a mobile entertainment device. I watch anime/listen to music/read websites/books on it/IM once in a while but never really talk. The times I do use it as a phone I usually use the speaker or the headphones anyway. So I pretty much don't give a damn :p

But here you get unlimited data over the phone network so if you're out of wifi range you need signal to do anything net related. Just kind of annoying.

Having said that, we were out today and I tried to demonstrate the problem to my brother in law and I couldn't get the signal to drop so maybe I jumped the gun a bit. Perhaps a software fix can help.

LOL, lefties are getting their panties in a bunch (in the UK of course, where else?): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-accused-of-discrimination-over-iPhone-4.html

I'm right handed and have always held phones in my left hand (I guess cos you dial with your right) and so has everyone else I've known. If anything it favours lefties.

I'm right handed and have always held phones in my left hand (I guess cos you dial with your right) and so has everyone else I've known. If anything it favours lefties.

I hold the phone in my left hand as I use it's screen (tap with the right), but I hold the phone with my right when I'm calling.

Anyway, supposedly the iPhone 4 specific dock doesn't work with a bumper case on it. Great. (I ordered both)