Codemasters' Formula One 2010

Just got mine yesterday!

The good:
-The track rubbers in. Get out of the racing line, you pick up rubber. Get out of the track, you pick up rubble
-There actually is a dry line forming in the rain when the rain stops!
-You can adjust fuel/engine maps, Front wing, pit stop strategy on the fly while racing and you can see the driver do it on the wheel
-You get to choose only between lotus/HRT and virgin at the start. With the difficulty at intermediate, i could finish in the top ten but barely in the top 5. I was able to win in the rain though. Fairly realistic stuff. The ferraris/mclarens/redbulls outdrag me in the straights as well. As I get used to the game, il be ramping up the difficulty.
-the graphics! OMG. Must play in HD. Especially in the rain!
-You can choose to go through all 3 practice sessions, all 3 qualifying sessions and choose how long your race will be

The Bad:
Game freezes occassionally
People models are horrible
best played with a wheel. Joypad is not as precise.
Safety car?!
the game is too strict with cutting corners. I overshot the corner and they call it cutting? I even lost a place!

I'm really liking this game. The Intermediate difficulty seems a bit too easy, since I can run on Williams ~3s/lap faster than top teams. I love that it requires you to really study the tracks and get that line just perfect, while the conditions and traction are constantly changing, requiring you to adapt, which isn't easy.

Apparently, it has been released in the UK. I'd love to try it, but Steam is being a bitch and not logging in.

EDIT: Steam decided to co-operate. Since i pre ordered and pre loaded the game, i'm not entitled to play it yet even though i could buy it on the Steam store now and play it :(

Last edited:
I pre-ordered this on Steam a few days ago and it's been kind of frustrating that I have to wait until the 25th to unlock it, when other Aussie's have been able to purchase it in the shops since yesterday. I've heard the game has a few issues but I'm sure it is nothing a few patches won't fix!

I bought it (pre ordered I guess) from Steam the other night and downloaded it to my PC. This morning I was able to activate it and launch the game, so I'm not sure what issue you have there...

It's...weird at the moment. I dont feel as if I have full control of the car. I have all the aids off and it's still very forgiving but not very precise in the same way GP4 or GTR Evo is. I'm finding I can't just point it at the apex and expect it to get there like in those games, it just sort of lurches around and I might hit the apex or I'll cut the corner too much or miss it completely. Still gotta play with the settings. There's no real sense of speed which makes judging steering and throttle inputs difficult at best. Dunno if I can change the frame rate in the settings or not.

The gears are laggy as well, especially on the downshifts, where the sound doesnt match the speed at which I'm downchanging. This is improved by turning off Rapture but still not brilliant. Changing up is annoying because the engine seems to surge and plateau and I find I'm overrevving because of it.

The AI is fun enough to race against. I tried it on Legendary and they were too quick for me, so I scaled it back to intermediate which is much easier and about where I am at the moment until I get my braking and steering sorted properly. They'll challenge you, they'll try and overtake if you stuff it up and they'll race each other which is great as no racing game in my experience has ever been able to achieve this properly. GP4 came close but this is better again.

It's pretty good so far, I'll keep playing around with it later tonight :)

Last edited:
Cant access it. I'm using a Logitech MOMO which is admittedly a few years old and the option to change those settings is greyed out for some reason. If anyone knows anything about that I'd like to hear from them :p

It's a common problem especially the dead zone. The slow shifting is supposedly the game engine unable to shift faster (pathetic if you ask me).

My shifting is fine. No better feeling than setting the front wing on +, slamming on the brakes, and downshifting 6 times in less than 2 seconds.

My main problem with the game is the AI. It's jerky like the drivers all have Parkinson's. They even stray off the racing line and are faster than me, racing on Lotuses (and me in my HRT). I can only really overtake by being very aggressive on the hard braking points like turn 1 and 4 in Kuala Lumpur...

All in all I think the game is great fun and quite a challenge. On a long weekend you have all 3 practices which are only enough to learn the circuit (for me) then qualy and race... that takes a whole day for each race which to me seems like a realistic simulation of all the work that goes into a grand prix for a pilot.

My shifting is fine. No better feeling than setting the front wing on +, slamming on the brakes, and downshifting 6 times in less than 2 seconds.

My main problem with the game is the AI. It's jerky like the drivers all have Parkinson's. They even stray off the racing line and are faster than me, racing on Lotuses (and me in my HRT). I can only really overtake by being very aggressive on the hard braking points like turn 1 and 4 in Kuala Lumpur...

All in all I think the game is great fun and quite a challenge. On a long weekend you have all 3 practices which are only enough to learn the circuit (for me) then qualy and race... that takes a whole day for each race which to me seems like a realistic simulation of all the work that goes into a grand prix for a pilot.

In shanghai, i shift to aero + after the connecting turns 1-4, then back to aero - on turn 13 just before the long straight. There's a big difference especially on the fast sweeping turn 7. On aero -, i have to let off the throttle, while on aero+ i can go flat out. :)

I bought it (pre ordered I guess) from Steam the other night and downloaded it to my PC. This morning I was able to activate it and launch the game, so I'm not sure what issue you have there...

It's...weird at the moment. I dont feel as if I have full control of the car. I have all the aids off and it's still very forgiving but not very precise in the same way GP4 or GTR Evo is. I'm finding I can't just point it at the apex and expect it to get there like in those games, it just sort of lurches around and I might hit the apex or I'll cut the corner too much or miss it completely. Still gotta play with the settings. There's no real sense of speed which makes judging steering and throttle inputs difficult at best. Dunno if I can change the frame rate in the settings or not.

The gears are laggy as well, especially on the downshifts, where the sound doesnt match the speed at which I'm downchanging. This is improved by turning off Rapture but still not brilliant. Changing up is annoying because the engine seems to surge and plateau and I find I'm overrevving because of it.

The AI is fun enough to race against. I tried it on Legendary and they were too quick for me, so I scaled it back to intermediate which is much easier and about where I am at the moment until I get my braking and steering sorted properly. They'll challenge you, they'll try and overtake if you stuff it up and they'll race each other which is great as no racing game in my experience has ever been able to achieve this properly. GP4 came close but this is better again.

It's pretty good so far, I'll keep playing around with it later tonight :)

well, let me see...

car is jumping around means that the springs are to stiff and its "hopping" but it really seems alot like your computer is just lagging.

I picked up like 5 punctures in the same race, between practices, qualy and race. This isnt normal... either it Malaysians enjoy covering their tracks with glass, or I'm really unlucky
Also it seems like there are no reliability issues whatsoever so far, all the cars finish the race even if there are spins and broken nose wings... I think that needs some tweaking.
From what the "Car Status" screen shows, it seems that the only things monitored are tyres, brakes and engine. I'm guessing those are the 3 things that can fail in the whole car, which is a bit unrealistic... gearbox and hydraulic issues cause many retirements.
On to China then and see how it goes. The AI seems to be my major issue still.

Yeah, heard some people are getting a lot of punctures for no apparent reason.

Still a little annoyed how I can't seem to access the advanced menus for controls to set dead zone, saturation, etc, and for graphics so I can turn off mirrors and wind effect to improve frame rate (as it says to do in the readme). Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

I'm doing a race at Bahrain, qualified on pole by 0.4s in a Williams with expert settings and professional difficulty. Seems a bit easy. The AI cars are unreasonably slow through that shitty twisty bit as I can cruise through it at half throttle and still sit right on Webber's ass. Might try it in legendary settings and see if anything improves.

well, i was placing top 10 in races and won 2 poles in the first 3 races in my HRT but then i turned up the AI to the highest setting and now i cant even make 23rd. other than that, im thinking the tire puncture has to do with the tires being pushed to hard. maybe its how they force you to manage better in the lower team cars or maybe its a flaw in the programming and im confident it wil be covered on the first patch.

on a side note, so, i was winning in Shanghai by about 1.5 seconds and as i came to the end of the last long strait i throttled out to early because i was pushing to hard and i spun, ended up third. only after the race did i remember i could have rewound and did it again, still, the last turn! ugh!!!

I just got it for the 360 and I'm loving it.

Starting to get the hang of the handling. After so much FM3 it seems weird the way the cars have so much grip at high speeds.

I got a puncture on the last lap of my first real race (Bahrain) that seemed like it came from nowhere. But I was 10 seconds ahead of the pack, so I was able to limp across the finish line :p
Also, after a spin, how the hell are you supposed to get back on the track when the car won't turn unless you're moving fast? I understand the steering rack is set up for high speeds, but it seems ridiculously poor.

This game is terrible. Massive input lag, no feedback in the steering whatsoever, absolutely canned oversteer, inability to lock wheels, laughable pit lane behavior, idiotic AI...

I disagree. No input lag whatsoever on my side (Fanatec PWTS on 360 and on the PC with the wireless dongle)
canned oversteer? don't know what you mean... It feels F1 like enough to me...
I locked the wheels a couple of times...
AI? I had a great fight with Liuzzi today. Also with Vettel...

Pitlane: You got a point there... I was pitting at the same time as somebody else -> he drove through me cause he entered quicker, but he also braked earlier for the line, so I went through him again. So I enter the pits before him, and the known bug arises: 4 people pass before my lollipop man lets me go. This needs to get fixed asap as it ruins races...

canned oversteer? don't know what you mean... It feels F1 like enough to me...
I locked the wheels a couple of times...

The oversteer is not a function of wheel slip angle or slip ratio. If you want a graphic example of this, just drive straight off the track. You'll spin without touching any controls. Similar for curbs. Quite simply, this game has no working tire model.

I can press the brake pretty hard if I want to. No matter how hard I push the load cell, no lockup.