Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I have 6 hard drives, 6 120mm fans, and a fan controller.

I intend to overclock the shit out of the 2600k, so i need a beefy power supply to compensate.

@eizbaer, I understand and have my problems with the 6970 as well... I would get a GTx 570 but I will NOT buy Nvidia cards any more. I'm getting a single 6970 with the intention of Crossfire in order to max Elder Scrolls 5 and Rage, when they come out.

I don't get why people get put off one manufacturer or the other. I've had shitty ATIs and shitty Nvidias, as well as good examples of each over the years. Not to mention differences in the manufacturers.... e.g. PowerColor isn't exactly exemplary of ATI quality

I don't get why people get put off one manufacturer or the other. I've had shitty ATIs and shitty Nvidias, as well as good examples of each over the years. Not to mention differences in the manufacturers.... e.g. PowerColor isn't exactly exemplary of ATI quality

i don't understand putting off one manufacturer either, i always try to get what works best at the time (without paying a shitload).
i've had both nvidias and atis, they've all been great, not a singly shitty one! yay :p

i don't understand putting off one manufacturer either, i always try to get what works best at the time (without paying a shitload).
i've had both nvidias and atis, they've all been great, not a singly shitty one! yay :p

Nvidia Geforce4 MX: sure it was old, but it was essentially 2 generations behind when new...

ATI Radeon Xpress 1150: yes, it's an IGP, so I'm not complaining about performance. But I am complaining about constant driver crashes when preforming certain tasks, such as fullscreen flash videos or anything that has anything to do with Java.

Nvidia Geforce4 MX: sure it was old, but it was essentially 2 generations behind when new...

ATI Radeon Xpress 1150: yes, it's an IGP, so I'm not complaining about performance. But I am complaining about constant driver crashes when preforming certain tasks, such as fullscreen flash videos or anything that has anything to do with Java.

i only meant the ones that i owned... of course both companies produced junk at one point or another, it's inevitable.

Something has been bugging me recently and I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to stop it.
Here's what is happening:
I'll be playing a video on VLC or playing music in iTunes/foobar and pause it. When I play a video on Youtube the sound from that crackles, I'll pause the Youtube video and play what I was watching/listening to and that crackles.
Here is a rundown:
iTunes play/Youtube paused- iTunes crackles
Youtube play/iTunes paused- Youtube crackles slightly
Foobar play/Youtube paused-Foobar crackles
Youtube play/Foobar paused-No crackle
VLC music play/Youtube paused- VLC crackles
Youtube play/VLC music paused-Youtube crackles
VLC video play/youtube paused-VLC crackles
Youtube play/VLC video paused-VLC crackles
My sound driver is Realtek High Definition audio, I'm using a 5.1 Logitech speaker system.
It's annoying me a lot and I'd love to know if there is anything I can do to stop it.

If that fails, get a dedicated soundcard. It'll also eliminate crosstalk hell. Like when your gfx draws power through the PCIe slot and your sound starts to crackle and pop.

sounds better, too, you wouldn't believe it... :p

Depends on what you hook it up to. Also, kinda depends on what you end up buying. I ended up buying a set of Logitech Z-10s, which do sound better on usb than through onboard audio.

Depends on what you hook it up to. Also, kinda depends on what you end up buying. I ended up buying a set of Logitech Z-10s, which do sound better on usb than through onboard audio.

so they pack their very own "dedicated" soundcard... ehehe... see? still works!
but yes, of course it matters what you hook up to the thing, i wouldn't bother if the speakers are cheaper than the soundcard

Speaking of PSUs... I have 610W PSU in my PC (3xHDD, Core i7, Radeon 4870). My heating turned off in this room, when it's about -20C outside it's about 20C inside. When my computer has been running for a day it's 24C. Summers suck.

I do.

I tend to go with a product based on a lot of things. The brand isn't one of them, except for one, Western Digital. Not because I had a bunch of failed drives, but because they didn't honor the warranty and screwed me over. I now refuse to buy anything from them for myself or a customer out of principal. There are plenty of other good options anyhow.

Speaking of PSUs... I have 610W PSU in my PC (3xHDD, Core i7, Radeon 4870). My heating turned off in this room, when it's about -20C outside it's about 20C inside. When my computer has been running for a day it's 24C. Summers suck.

Lol, you don't want to come here then in summer :D

Well the verizon man came and hooked up the new tv (didn't fit in the spot where the old wire was) and that included moving the router. For some reason I don't understand the wifi went out on my laptop and only my laptop, every other computer was fine.
The problem?
The TV stand we bought. For a unknown reason if the router is in the little glass cabinet under the tv the computer can't connect but if it is on top it is fine. Only took 2 days to figure that out :|

Logitech diNovo mini is rather nice. The usb dongle is shit, but I'll use a real bluetooth dongle anyway. (the one that comes with it doesn't work with anything else) And trackpad-thingy needs a bit getting used to, but once I get the thing sorted the mouse isn't needed much. Otherwise it's really nice.

Last edited: