General Anime Thread

Anyone seen the Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer movie yet? I saw it recently subtitled, I thought it was actually pretty good....

Overall, I really like it. A lot of good action and battle scenes. However, for being a "movie", I was expecting the detail to be a little more amped up. It looked too much like the series.

Also, I was disappointed on one thing:
All the hype on the Quantum 00 that it was their last hope and it barely fought at the end. I was expecting it to totally kick some alien ass.

BTW, thanks for bringing this up. For the life of me, I can't find a good site that brings up new Gundam series/movies to light. The official site sucks. I usually only find out in passing through this thread.

BTW, thanks for bringing this up. For the life of me, I can't find a good site that brings up new Gundam series/movies to light. The official site sucks. I usually only find out in passing through this thread.

if it hadn't been for this thread i would have very likely never known about the Gundam Unicorn OVA either. definately made my gundam addiction a bit lighter.

Just finished watching Macross Frontier movie 1: Itsuwari no Utahime aka The False Songstress

I thought this was going to be some compressed, heavily edited crap compilation of the tv series forced into a 2 hr movie, but to my surprise they take the same characters, settings, villian, and run with a completely different direction with the story. In fact most of the scenes, including familiar ones are redrawn and reanimated and by the 2nd half of the movie, its almost all completely original.

Fans of the TV series expecting a compilation will grow increasingly confused as they go 'HUH, I don't remember this scene/that happening that way' and the climax is completely different from the tv series, which is great, that they created a story that actually written for the confines of a 2 hr movie.

And if you think the detailing on the ships and mechs were good in the TV series, they pump a lot more money and detail into this film, and it shows. Plus theres at least 3 new original songs.

dammit, i started watching Macross Frontier when it started but only got as far as the first few episodes because the subbing group dropped the show. never did find another group and as such never saw the end of the series. Didn't even know they were doing a movie. I'll have to look again, hopefully there's a group thats subbed the series and watch it.

The group Lunar subbed the whole series, you can dl that.

^ ok that is awesome... and reminds me why i tend to hate most 90s anime

The 70s and 80s versions doesn't look too bad.

It does make you wonder where it'll go in the '10s doesn't it. I hope it stays pretty much the same, though if that pic is any indication it won't. Also someone needs to do that with Haruhi.

Last edited:
There are many styles even within a time period, I noticed that Wangan Midnight was more reminiscent of the older styles. Smaller eyes, larger noses.

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lupin_iv/2011/03/10/K-on__through_the_ages.jpg

Pretty sure I've seen an anime from all of those decades, apart from the 70s! Totally not living up to my user-name! :lol:

^ ok that is awesome... and reminds me why i tend to hate most 90s anime

Agreed, unfortunately too much anime from the 00s is totally crapped up with the 'moe' look in female characters.

SuzumiyaHaruhiMikuruAshino.jpg

I miss the 80s anime when women characters looked like real women.

237116.jpg

Since fads run in cycles in anime, it will eventually go away, its just a matter of when.

You have at least seen or read enough of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya to realize the irony of using Mikuru as your example, right?

For anyone who hasn't:
Haruhi 'invites' only the people she finds interesting in some way into the club she forms at the beginning of the series. Mikuru was chosen specifically because she fit the 'moe' character type.

You have at least seen or read enough of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya to realize the irony of using Mikuru as your example, right?

For anyone who hasn't:
Haruhi 'invites' only the people she finds interesting in some way into the club she forms at the beginning of the series. Mikuru was chosen specifically because she fit the 'moe' character type.

I've seen the series, I wasn't talking about Haruhi in particular, Mikuru image was easiest to find on google as example of 'moe'.

But either way, it is true that current 2000+ anime is way oversaturated with the moe/pedo look and it'll be great when the trend cycles out.

Gave Ruronini Kenshin another watch over the last week.

Still one of my all time favorites. The Kyoto saga is especially kickass.

Bout to watch FMA:B and Golgo 13 and rewatch GITS:SAC (which is maybe the most well done anime ive ever seen)