Zonda F Clubsport Roadster totaled in "the most expensive crash in history"

pepitko

Car(s)
Audi A5, Ducati M796
The Pagani Zonda F Clubsport Roadster just got a bit more exclusive as 1 of the 25 made was totaled recently. The article says that he's a banker, but apparently he is the owner of Gemballa, so more of an investor, and walked away with a bruise. Sad to see the car go though :(.

http://dealbreaker.com/2011/02/german-banker-involved-in-most-expensive-car-crash-in-history
SteffenKorbach-260x239.jpg
The fellow pictured at left is 28 year-old German banker Steffen Korbach. He looks pretty happy because he?s got that cool shirt on and because the photo was taken prior to his totaling a ?1.4million Pagani Zonda F Clubsport Roadster (only one of 25 in the world). Let?s hear his story.

Korbach crashed on the A10 autostrada as he was on his way to Milan for the official presentation of a new Pagani Huayra ? which he recently ordered. A source said: ?He was driving through roadworks at the speed limit, but when they ended he accelerated up to just over 100kmh (62mph) and hit a pool of surface water which caused the car to aquaplane. ?Even though Steffen is an experienced supercar driver, he couldn?t correct the Zonda?s position and he collided with the roadside barriers.

?The car doesn?t have airbags so he was lucky to escape unharmed ? it shows how safe the passengers? cell is in these sorts of cars.? Mr Korbach said that the lively Zonda F Clubsport Roadster can be difficult to control in certain road conditions.

Now the car looks like this:
PaganiZonda-540x676.jpg

But don?t fret my pets- this story has a happy ending. Korbach and his passenger were unharmed and he?s got a bunch of other toys to comfort him during this difficult time.

As well as his new Huayra ? Pagani?s replacement for the Zonda ? Korbach owns two Bugatti Veyrons, two Lamborghinis and a Porsche-based Gemballa Mirage. He has also ordered the new McLaren MP4-12C ? widely anticipated to be Britain?s greatest ever supercar. The Italian Zonda, with its rear-mounted V12 engine, produces 650bhp and is capable of doing 0-62mph in 3.5 seconds. It has a top speed of 214mph and lapped the Top Gear track quicker than the Bugatti Veyron. Tommy Wareham, director of dealer Super Vettura, said: ?The Pagani Zonda is quite possibly the last ever true-blooded supercar ? it?s a ferocious poster car for the 21st century.

Last edited:
Yeah, 100 kph my ass...

http://www.prestigecars.de/menschen...clubsport-die-wahrheit-ueber-den-unfall/15948

Well, it is counter-publicity by the guy who crashed it ... I?m not saying he?s lying ... but the truth might well be somewhere in the middle ...

[...] one mystery from the accident that might never be solved. The watch that was torn from Steffen Korbach?s wrist by the initial impact has not been found, nor has the iPhone that was in the car.
Yeah, I?m sure the police searched everywhere for his expensive watch and iPhone ...

a_sept_28_milan_derby_berlusconi_cin_cin.jpg

:rolleyes: Italy.

Last edited:
What I mean with that: I don't think he was doing 100 kph since the damage is so extensive. As you can see in the picture there is not much space between the guardrails so it's improbable the car could have suffered so much damage if it did 100 kph.

The Pagani Zonda F Clubsport Roadster just got a bit more exclusive as 1 of the 25 made was totaled recently. The article says that he's a banker, but apparently he is the owner of Gemballa, so more of an investor, and walked away with a bruise. Sad to see the car go though :(.

didn't he get kidnapped and killed in south africa?

didn't he get kidnapped and killed in south africa?
That was the founder, Mr. Gemballa himself. The owner is the new owner.

That was the founder, Mr. Gemballa himself. The owner is the new owner.

I thought the most expensive wreck in history was the guy who wrote off his Enzo racing an SLR on the LA freeway?This is close though.

And yea 100kph? right........

300kph is not the same as 100kph mr. Korbach.....

As I said: 100 kph my ass... ;) 100 kph was the speedlimit apparently, so the italian police reduced it to that speed to not say "we let every douchebag speed as he likes"...

I wouldn't be surprised if he has it rebuilt.Two Pagani one offs (The Uno and Absolute) were the result of crashed Zonda F that were rebuilt with a new chasses and used components from the wrecked vehicles. Anyhow, if anyone is interested here is a picture of the car before the wreck.

5245754103_c03e94fec8_b.jpg

If he really was doing 320 then :clap: for Zonda's engineers, the car looks nearly mint after the crash :lol:

What he neglected to mention was that he also crashed into a Mercedes that he was racing. I don't know if he was going 320 km/h, but he was certainly going much more than 100.

If you're racing someone on a public road you deserve whatever you get. I'm just glad that he didn't injure anyone else pulling this stunt. Good for him for surviving unharmed but I don't take any pity on him in the least for wrecking his car.