Getting my first SLR camera, need some help!

Shawn

Lexus? Oh shi-
Car(s)
MkVI GTI w/DSG
So yeah, I'm thinking of picking up a DSLR camera for myself for Christmas. I've read around quite a bit and it seems like the good balance between price and quality is between the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT and the Nikon D50... but I can't find any reviews that recommends one over the other. Any help?

Also, should I go for the kit or buy a seperate lens for it? I can get the EOS for around C$875 from an MSRP of $1199... is that a good deal?

Well, from the research I've done (I don't own one yet, but I've been researching it rather exhaustively), the Rebel XT (350D) is a fantastic camera and quite a bargain. That is probably the one I will buy. However, the 18-55 kit lens is somewhat less than stellar. The images it produces tend to be a bit soft, which is why it's a very cheap lens. You should buy the body-only camera and get a better lens to start off with. I've heard good things about Tokina lenses, but you'd be bet off to check the reviews and determine which is best for what you'll use the camera for.

Okay, first off, read through this thread - it was just a couple of threads below yours...

I haven't researched extensively into this as I already have Canon lenses from my film EOS so will buy a 350D - when I have the money. However, I can tell you that the 350D is a very good camera - my Dad has one and I've had a good play with it...

But then, from what I've read, they're both quite similar in terms of capabilities (I have a feeling someone's going to correct me on this ;) ) so if you can, try to pop to the shops and try each one out too to see which one you prefer the feel of...

Max

I had to make the very same decision a month ago. I was choosing between 350D, D50 and D70.
All perfrom very similarly, and I didn't find any features on any of them that would be significantly important. But D70 seemed to have the best and most versatile kit-lens out of three according to almost all reviews I could find, while functionally very similar to D50 (second command dial and 1/8000 exposure are the differences that matter, but not important enough to pay a lot extra).
So I just went for D50 with D70's kit lens (18-70mm). It costed me a lot less than what 350D would cost with it's kit-lens. So I'm extremely happy with my choise. Also I was leaning towards Nikon after trying and comparing it with Canon in the store. It just felt more comfortable in my hands and easier to use... Maybe not a big issue, but still...

But the most important factor was price. D50 with supposedly better lens for less money than 350D - answer is D50.

Okay guys, so I'm thinking of going with the Nikon... but I have a problem.

I work at Best Buy and can get a rather hefty discount on these thing, problem is that they only have a select few models. I can get the EOS Rebel XT without the lens, but the D50 we only have as a kit. Should I just go ahead and get the Nikon with the lens anyway? What lenses should I be looking at? I know even less about lenses than I do about cameras...

Also I'm not sure if the EOS that BB sells is the 350D... how can I check? Does it just say 350D on the front?

Canon Digital Rebel XT = 350D

Can't say anything about D50 kit vs. 350D kit, but internet is full of reviews, just google for some

I'd recomend something like the Canon 300D or 350D, entry level DSLR. You can still p&s with them yet they are "real" cameras.

Oh I see, so all of the Digital Rebel XTs are 350D? It's not as if there are different models? Because it seems that the sites I've looked at don't specify any model number.

MXM said:
Canon Digital Rebel XT = 350D

Can't say anything about D50 kit vs. 350D kit, but internet is full of reviews, just google for some

Also wondering, neither the Rebel XT nor the D50 do videos, right? I think no DSLRs do?

the best thing to do is to handle both the 350d and the d50 and figure out which one fits you best. They're both very similar in capability, so the differences are more your preference than much else.

If you think you may have a partiality to either the Nikon or Canon lens system, that should also be a deciding factor in your choice. Again.. just handle both cameras as much as possible... play with the settings.. adjust aperture, shutter, iso, etc... and shoot a little using both of them. One will fit you better than the other and one will probably seem too small or too big and not make you feel as comfortable using it.

So yes.. it comes down to personal preference. Good luck!

I really gotta get down to the photography store and try both of em out. Make a decision and start savin up. :)

jayjaya29 said:
I really gotta get down to the photography store and try both of em out. Make a decision and start savin up. :)

:lol: yeah me too - on the Saving up part! :)

monkeymax said:
jayjaya29 said:

Hehe, I actually have the money to buy the cameras, but if I would buy them I would be broke till my next job. I need the money right now for food, and other stuff. I think I'm going to set aside a portion of every check I get towards the camera. Hopefully in a year or so I can buy it.

jayjaya29 said:
monkeymax said:
jayjaya29 said:

Hehe, I actually have the money to buy the cameras, but if I would buy them I would be broke till my next job. I need the money right now for food, and other stuff. I think I'm going to set aside a portion of every check I get towards the camera. Hopefully in a year or so I can buy it.

HAHA! Yup! Again - same as you! :D
I'm unemployed at the moment, so although I can afford the camera on savings, I'd be unable to pay for anything else (at least my parents paid for this Christmas holiday, which has really helped! Was their idea though). So really I've gotta wait until I get a job before I can get the camera! And a new graphics card for this computer... and a new laptop... and possibly a new car... :) An endless list... But believe me, the camera is up near the top as my compact digicam just doesn't cut it.

Hehe, exactly. So many other expenses that need to be taken care of right now. My P&S isn't cutting it either any more, I want to take a good shot, I take it, and it comes out crappy.

I'm sorta employed right now, I do parties for schools and birthdays and stuff like that, but I usually only work once in a while when the guy needs me. It's been my source of income for the past 2 years, but things have slowed down as of late, so not much coming in....