Covid 19 CRISIS

Got my first day of real lockdown blues today. Not because of how things are now, but because of the outlook.
I can imagine the whole ordeal having quite a pronounced effect on mental health.

Unsure how winter was across mainland Europe, but in the UK it was miserable. Seemingly endless storms, hardly any fresh frosty mornings, barely any snow, just torrential rain and gale force winds for months.

Me and Girfriend_70s were eagerly awaiting summer

Now just as the weather is starting to turn everybody is trapped indoors for the foreseeable future, even without the whole "thousands dying of COVID19" aspect the vibe for this year is grim.

The state of things in Michigan today is chaos. Why? Well, there is a small group that has filed a lawsuit against the Governor and her newest stay at home order, and a protest in the state capitol against the order.
Was it supposed to be a protest against the executive orders, or a re-election rally? Lines seem to be incredibly blurry there...

China didn’t warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days

In the six days after top Chinese officials secretly determined they likely were facing a pandemic from a new coronavirus, the city of Wuhan at the epicenter of the disease hosted a mass banquet for tens of thousands of people; millions began traveling through for Lunar New Year celebrations.

President Xi Jinping warned the public on the seventh day, Jan. 20. But by that time, more than 3,000 people had been infected during almost a week of public silence, according to internal documents obtained by The Associated Press and expert estimates based on retrospective infection data.
https://apnews.com/68a9e1b91de4ffc166acd6012d82c2f9

CNN - reported that US intelligence are investigating the source of the virus and largely discount the Wet Market theory.

This is a bit strange. Red Bull and Renault designed a ventilator to the spec the UK Government set out and are now told the spec wasn't good enough!!!
Government cancels order of ‘BlueSky’ ventilators designed by F1 teams
https://eandt.theiet.org/content/ar...housands-of-bluesky-ventilators-from-f1-team/

Last edited:
Was it supposed to be a protest against the executive orders, or a re-election rally? Lines seem to be incredibly blurry there...

Well, there seems to be a bunch of Trump supporters there, so, they are probably intertwined.

EDIT:

Also, the governor here is the one Trump called "That Woman in Michigan". So the Trumpers have latched onto that.

Edit 2

Last edited:
Long but interesting read, essentially an in-depth explanation of the way models work in a comic form. It's too massive to post here.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-comic-strip-tour-of-the-wild-world-of-pandemic-modeling/

DISCLAIMER: I am only posting this because I found this interesting and thought it would be informative. I am not making any claims of fact in the above post.
This is probably the best explainer for mathematical models I've ever seen and I bookmarked it for further use.

I'm in a work briefing about the effects of COVID on our medical staff - usually the media exaggerates things. I'm currently listening to one of our nurse educators talking about their current working conditions; if anything the media is downplaying how this is affecting medical staff. During a shift they cannot eat, drink, or go to the restroom because there is no one to watch their patients and they are wearing full hood PPE. To put this in perspective, they have had to build new walls that have negative pressure zones for isolation; they have loud fans constantly evacuating air from these buffer zones and from patient rooms that make it difficult to hear and communicate. The hoods also have fans to create positive pressure with filtered air, so you spend the whole day with a loud fan attached to your head and dry air constantly blowing in your face - and you can't scratch your nose, put in eye drops, or drink to wet your mouth.

The severity of a patient is on a scale of 0-12 - a severe burn patient is usually a 9 or a 10; we have critically ill patients that are an 11-12. We are looking at converting our surgery centers into ICU - and we have not hit our peak. Our ICU census doubled over the weekend.

They are trying to build special negative pressure rooms as fast as patients are coming in, including converting our surgical operatories into ICU space and literally rebuilding parts of the hospital in the middle of all this.

As I'm sitting in this briefing our Nurse Educator is breaking down and crying in front of my entire department as she is trying to explain to us what is happening to the medical staff and the patients. We have not yet hit our peak, and we are not even close to the rates of NYC. The group we have sent to NYC is totally overwhelmed after a single day. They said that "nothing could have prepared" them for what they are experiencing there - they had 95 patients die on their first day on scene. We are now working to try to get mental health services out to these healthcare workers with a combination of in-person and video-based assistance.

Last edited:
In NYC it depends on hospital a lot, the one my wife works in is relatively low volume but couple of the ones in Brooklyn and Queens are over run.

Honduras is flattening the curve!

Screenshot_2020-04-16 Mapa y gráficos Así crecen los contagios de Covid-19 en Honduras - Diari...png

What's that? We're only doing 40 tests a day making us the worst in the region and the government is already being investigated over misuse of the funds given for relief (which amount to 33% of the GDP) on shit like TVs?

Well then.

Last edited:
Still don't see a flattening, but at least Quebec curve is not exponential, more linear.

quebec-20200416.png

Also, remember that story :
Sad tale of how a 2 employees of a long term care facility for old folk showed symptoms, requested to be put on leave, but those request were declined and they had to come in to work. Now that facility is one of the worst hotspot in the province, with 8 deaths so far.

In French, but worth translating.
https://lp.ca/NDS2r4

It then came up that the owner of that center own actually a few more establishment, and now this has come out in the news:

The president of the group owning those centers has quite a long criminal past:
- Condemn for drug importation and fraud
- Caught for fiscal irregularities
- Judge pointed at real-estate shady deals

So people working in those centers had to go through a background checks, but the head of the company could have been Pablo Escobar.

Some interesting data coming out of Germany's Robert-Koch-Institut. As we probably all have heard often enough, looking at the daily infections is misleading since a) timespan between first symptoms and test, b) time it needs for the test to be processed and c) time it needs for the positive test to be reported vary wildly, in fact, much more wildly than the media 5.something day incubation time.
BUT - some people, in Germany, around 60% of those with symptoms, reported the first day they experienced symptoms. This means that using statistical methods, you can ascribe an assumed day of infection, even for people without symptoms - according to RKI, with a very high degree of accuracy.

Reproduktion-2e80f97d96db384a.png

March 9th: Recommendation to wash hands often and to work in home office when possible, cancellations of gatherings with over 1000 peple
March 16th: Cancellation of all mass gatherings (depending on jurisdiction, between more than 50 and more than 100), closing of schools and daycares, clubs and bars
March 23rd-ish: Lockdown: All personal contact banned, all non-essential shops closed, restaurants closed

This gives us a good indication which measures had which effect.

Full paper in German:
https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/Infek...20_SARS-CoV2_vorab.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

I guess that's one way to push an agenda during a crisis.

I have to agree its like come on pushing your agenda of competent leadership! And of course it comes from Forbes

Why is South Korea not in the article from Forbes?

Or Israel. Or Australia. Or Austria. Or Czech Republic. Or Greece. Or Estonia.

Wouldn't that in the article be cherry picking, by any chance, only showing Countries that did well AND have a female PM?