Sneak Peek At the New Series Format

bbc.co.uk/topgear/ said:
BerserkerCatSplat said:
I love Canada, we're this terrible amalgamation of American and British English. :lol:

Yet you still manage to say Z the right way :)

Darn rights we do! "Zee" my bottom end... :mrgreen:

back on topic...
i thought they were bs-ing about putting sabine schmidts on the show 2 series ago?
maybe sabine is really on?
:unsure:

I wonder if any more F1 drivers will come forward to drive the reasonably priced car?

dinp said:
I wonder if any more F1 drivers will come forward to drive the reasonably priced car?

I hope so.

BerserkerCatSplat said:
bbc.co.uk/topgear/ said:
BerserkerCatSplat said:
I love Canada, we're this terrible amalgamation of American and British English. :lol:

Yet you still manage to say Z the right way :)

Darn rights we do! "Zee" my bottom end... :mrgreen:

There is even a show on the CBC (oh i wish it was as good as the BBC) called "ZED" :lol:

Kebab gud said:
read the entire thread.. its just a DOG!
You could be subtle and say "Yeah, I hear that new presenter is a real bitch." And it'd be perfectly accurate terminology.

I would guess a producer or director.

Check yourself in one of the episode guides when webber was on... Sometimes in season 6... Ah, what the heck. its ep 10...

And that's the new studio, so who else went?? Where did you find the photo, 47?

Re: heh English

flyingfridge said:
Judd Sandage said:
just think tho... Us "Yanks" say those japanese makes and models correctly, as the Japanese say them, we dont fuck them up like the "English" do

Nissin? its Nissan as in knee-son
350 ZED... WTF its 350 Zee
why do you guys have problems with the letter Z?
ImPretZA, the japanese would ask WTF its Impreza...
Celie-ka its celica..... blah

The Japanese seem flexible to prostitute the "correct" pronunciation. I know a guy who is a amateur photographer animate about pronouncing "Nikon" correctly -- Nee-kon. But even the advertising of the company itself pronounced it Ny-kon. But I would say the correct pronunciation means Nissan should be pronounced Nee-san.

How do the Brits pronounce Nikon, as "Nih-kon"? Do you pronounce Nike as "Nih-key"?

And I just wanted to throw in how much it pisses me off when people pronounce Porsche as "Porsh".

flyingfridge said:
Z - is pronounced ZED. That is and has always been the proper name for ZED and always will be. It has been before your silly God Squad even found that bit of dirt called America. Some pagan fool american with a speech impediment fucked that up.

Silence from the penal colony!

Zed is probably "more correct" as the letter's origin in the greek alphabet as Zeta.

However, according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z):

Wikipedia said:
The American English form zee [zi] derives from an English late 17th-century dialectal form, now obsolete in England (the letter rhymes with "V" in the "Alphabet song" nursery rhyme).

So the blame for the pronunciation lays with some plague-infested tombstone-mouthed inbred smelly limey.

flyingfridge said:
Get it right you arrogant moron. It is the English who spoke this language long before you Americans did and it's because of them that you speak it. Otherwise you'd all be speaking Spanish.

Believe me, we're well on our way.

arsemonky said:
Have i juts highlighted the problem of the massive cultural ignorance of most (NOT ALL) that Americans just dont see that, collectivley speaking, much the population (not the governments themselves) just dose not like America, wether it be the 11 toed, straight-lined-family trees, or the buger munching Californian's, we (Brits, Aussies, everyone else..............) just don't like the Americans very much

First, people from:

(a) an isolated island of formerly-backward barbarians with no new entries into the gene pool for 1,500 years spare the occasional invasion from the Normans and the French, whose Royal Families are the textbook definition of inbreeding, and which can't even peacefully assimilate other ethinic groups in its own territory (Welsh, Scotts, Irish) or
(b) an isolated penal colony

aren't very qualified to lecture on gene-pool shallowness vis-a-vie the USA where people from around the world come together and intermarry.

Second, I don't care if you don't like Americans. Most Americans don't get it becasue generally we consider ourselves to be very nice, generous, and tolerant with the rest of the world. If people don't like us, it's their problem not ours. I'm sure jealousy has something to do with it. Britain once had a worldwide empire and now watches its' renegade colonies running the show. The Aussies, who cares, they are like our Texans. The Japanese love us, I'd take them over dingo-fearing gator wrestlers any day. And someday, perhaps we won't be so nice and withdraw all the money we throw away around the world and you'll have to stand on your own. I say invade France now! Well, that's one sentiment the Brits and Americans seem to share.

EDIT: For the record, I'm just being a little over-the-top in sarcasm, in case anybody is thinking I'm serious.

Truth be told - there are assholes everywhere, i know great americans, brits, canadians, kiwis ect - but i also know dicks from all those countries... the sad reality is that people suck all over the globe.

Blind_Io said:
I am really looking forward to traveling abroad (especially to the UK) but I dread being an American while overseas. I plan to go to great lengths to not be the "ugly American" but I get the feeling that no matter what I do I will be shunned because of my country.

I travelled to Europe (Hanover, Germany) for the first time about a year ago. Here's what I learned:

(1) No Hawaiian shirts, no shorts with black socks and sandals.
(2) Bring power adapters and make sure all your transformers support 110-220 volts.
(3) Common courtesy, learn a few phrases to act like you care about being in the country -- Hello, Goodbye, Thank you, I don't speak <language>.
(4) I would say avoid the Yankee caps but everyone in Europe seems to have one.

While I was in Germany, several people thought I was British (the Gatsby hat probably helped). I'm a quiet, observant, respectful person by nature. I didn't find I was shunned because of my country, but I didn't exactly have the Stars and Stripes draped around me like a cape either.