Clarkson: "The united states of total paranoia"

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the rights they've taken away and all the nosepoking they've been doing since that day have amounted to NOTHING. Other countries have taken far greater losses at the hands of terrorists yet don't feel the need to know everything about everyone, tap your phones, know what library books you read, etc.

Increased airport security is all BS! When I flew to Oregon I pointed out to my brother about 5 ways to get a gun or other weapon on the plane!

Also, if you look at the record, right wing nutjobs have been trying to pass all this quasi-gestapo crap for YEARS and YEARS. Only when 9/11 happened were they able to use "fighting terrorism" as an excuse. Only after such an event were people able to put down thier freedoms for false security, and it's bullshit. They've pissed all over the constitution and our founding fathers. Hopefully the next president can begin to right all these wrongs, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's no harder today to build a bomb and blow up a building that it was in 2000. All this crap is just a huge knee jerk reaction, kicking the country in the face. They're doing more damage than the hijackers could ever have hoped.

I dunno why my American counterparts would be getting mad at this. I thought it was hysterical as I can't stand those types of people he talked about either.

Good job Jezza!

/I lol'd.

He has some excellent points and I agree with most of them. This country has taken a terrible turn in the last 8 years. We have sacrificed so many freedoms and gained nothing by it. I would seriously consider taking a job in the UK if one was a available. Our economy can't compare to the UK and I am becomming ever more weary at my own government.

We have domestic spying, unlawful wiretaps, the monitoring of bank accounts without a warrant - Clarkson is right, the US is becomming a police state. I fear what will happen in the next election.

I know you all live on small islands over there but do you think there is enough room for one more?

Have you people seriously not caught on yet? :roll:
He has to come out with ever more stupid views or he's not going to get any work. I'm quite sure that even he can't be stupid enough to actually beleive this tripe.

Blind_Io said:
He has some excellent points and I agree with most of them. This country has taken a terrible turn in the last 8 years. We have sacrificed so many freedoms and gained nothing by it. I would seriously consider taking a job in the UK if one was a available. Our economy can't compare to the UK and I am becomming ever more weary at my own government.

We have domestic spying, unlawful wiretaps, the monitoring of bank accounts without a warrant - Clarkson is right, the US is becomming a police state. I fear what will happen in the next election.

I know you all live on small islands over there but do you think there is enough room for one more?

First, all that is old news. Its been going on for the last 20-30 years. The only difference today is that it is out in the open. No freedoms have been "sacrificed" and you can still do really whatever you want to do. And as I said earlier, the UK has more government owned "security" cameras in place per square mile than any other country in the world. The US is far from becoming a "police state" and if you actually look at the trend of the last 30 years we actually have more freedoms today than ever before. Those police you speak of are being brought to court and sued more and more. And that brings around another issue. Many of these laws and regulations encountered are state, not federal. They change from state to state.

And wait there is more. If you actually study history you will see another trend. This one involves disasters. You think the security changes and new laws after 9/11 are different? Think again. Every time a disaster occurs people get security conscious for a few years. It occured in the mid 19th century, it occured in the early 20th century, it occured in the mid 20th century, it occured in the early 21th century. When a large disaster or loss of life occurs Americans are shoved awake to the world around them. There increase security for awhile, pass a few new laws but eventually things are forgotten.

jetsetter said:
Blind_Io said:

First, all that is old news. Its been going on for the last 20-30 years. The only difference today is that it is out in the open. No freedoms have been "sacrificed" and you can still do really whatever you want to do. And as I said earlier, the UK has more government owned "security" cameras in place per square mile than any other country in the world. The US is far from becoming a "police state" and if you actually look at the trend of the last 30 years we actually have more freedoms today than ever before. Those police you speak of are being brought to court and sued more and more. And that brings around another issue. Many of these laws and regulations encountered are state, not federal. They change from state to state.

And wait there is more. If you actually study history you will see another trend. This one involves disasters. You think the security changes and new laws after 9/11 are different? Think again. Every time a disaster occurs people get security conscious for a few years. It occured in the mid 19th century, it occured in the early 20th century, it occured in the mid 20th century, it occured in the early 21th century. When a large disaster or loss of life occurs Americans are shoved awake to the world around them. There increase security for awhile, pass a few new laws but eventually things are forgotten.

Jetsetter, all I am saying is that the general feeling I have right now is that the government thinks that it's above the law. And freedoms are being whittled back - look at The Patriot Act. Under this law you can be detained and held indefinately without charge; which is in direct violation of the Constitution. I know that many of these laws are State laws, but fedral courts are upholding them. I don't like the idea of RFID in passports, I don't like the idea of a National ID Card, I don't like the idea of the NSA being able to tap my phone without a warrant, I don't like the idea of my bank transactions being monitored without a warrant, I don't like the idea of my email being scaned by an NSA computer.

And you are wrong. Once laws are on the books they tend to stay there. Look at taxes. The Estate Tax was put into effect to pay for the war of 1812. The war of 18-sodding-12! Once government gets power it does not like to let it go - a quick tour of history will show you that.

This is the same kind of thing you read in 1984 and if you are not scared as the incredible pace things are going then you are not paying attention.

Amen!!

All hail Jezza, he speaks the truth! :D

The day Australia officially becomes the 51st state of the USA (which should be sometime before the end of the year the way John Howard is going) is the day I pull up stumps and move to New Zealand.

Walter Goldsworthy said:
Have you people seriously not caught on yet? :roll:
He has to come out with ever more stupid views or he's not going to get any work. I'm quite sure that even he can't be stupid enough to actually beleive this tripe.

:roll:

I caught on about ten years ago.

DON'T.... TAKE..... WHAT.... HE.... SAYS..... SERIOUSLY.

Almost everything he writes is firmly tongue in cheek.

Jetsetter, all I am saying is that the general feeling I have right now is that the government thinks that it's above the law. And freedoms are being whittled back - look at The Patriot Act. Under this law you can be detained and held indefinately without charge; which is in direct violation of the Constitution. I know that many of these laws are State laws, but fedral courts are upholding them. I don't like the idea of RFID in passports, I don't like the idea of a National ID Card, I don't like the idea of the NSA being able to tap my phone without a warrant, I don't like the idea of my bank transactions being monitored without a warrant, I don't like the idea of my email being scaned by an NSA computer.

And you are wrong. Once laws are on the books they tend to stay there. Look at taxes. The Estate Tax was put into effect to pay for the war of 1812. The war of 18-sodding-12! Once government gets power it does not like to let it go - a quick tour of history will show you that.

If look at the whole of US history you would see that the more things change, the more they stay the same. I guess your opinion changes when you expect certain things. I expected the NSA to go through emails, phone calls, etc and they have been doing it for some time. Now its out in the open but has it changed anything? I am still going to do the same things and live my life.

People take things WAY too seriously these days. I'm pretty much tired of people who get offended by anything. Me, on the other hand, you cant offend me. Why? Because i'm not a pussy, i just look at everything in a comedic way and it feels fantastic.

Just like George Carlin said about 9/11 and terrorism, "I think it's exciting, stimulating and i see it as a form of entertainment."

C53A_4G63T said:
People take things WAY too seriously these days. I'm pretty much tired of people who get offended by anything. Me, on the other hand, you cant offend me. Why? Because i'm not a pussy, i just look at everything in a comedic way and it feels fantastic.

Just like George Carlin said about 9/11 and terrorism, "I think it's exciting, stimulating and i see it as a form of entertainment."

It's not Clarkson, it's the people who actually believe what he says.

jetsetter said:
C53A_4G63T said:

It's not Clarkson, it's the people who actually believe what he says.
So...you actually have polite and curteous airport security? There aren't a number of needless rules around everything except the acquisition of firearms? The mess of buerocracy and intense fear of getting sued for anything doesn't exist?

You know, frankly, I can't find any factual errors in that column there, and myself and others had the same problems with your country long before Clarkson pointed them out, except for the film permits because I've never filmed anything there. Suppose I'm not a patriotic amurrrrrican though.

Actually obtaining firearms is harder than you think. Background check and a wating period, at least in California. And this so called "intense fear" is not quite as "intense" as you believe. He is complaining about problems that are everywhere, including Britain.

If you laugh when he calls Germans nazis, you can't cry when he disses your country.

He said Canada was so dull he couldn't even remember if he'd been there or not. :D

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
He said Canada was so dull he couldn't even remember if he'd been there or not. :D

:lol: I didn't hear that one!

I've lived in California all my life and I know exactly what Clarkson is on about. If you live here long enough then you'd be amazed at how common these "idiots" are. People tend to aimlessly follow rules rather than their own common sense. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't mentally retarded individuals fall into that same sort of behavioral pattern too?

Californians on this board need to stop defending themselves. They obviously have not traveled or lived outside this ridiculous state to know better. Our state is a great one but there are MANY irritating flaws. Clarkson happened to mention only one (which many of my fellow Californians agree as well).

I just moved to The People's Republic of California a couple years ago.

Wierd freakin' state.

Z Draci said:
Californians on this board need to stop defending themselves. They obviously have not traveled or lived outside this ridiculous state to know better. Our state is a great one but there are MANY irritating flaws. Clarkson happened to mention only one (which many of my fellow Californians agree as well).

That's the problem, if people keep defending where they live they can't see the problems it has, so nothing can change and the problems get worse and they just carry on defending it.

Jezza is always taking the piss out of where I live, but I can agree with him on somethings. Alot of people in Norfolk still seems to have alot of respect for him.

The other problem is that people see criticism like this as painting a bad picture, especially when all they do is criticise and ingnore the good points. But people don't listen to Jezza's opinion half the time anyway. If they did they would be quite a few more car companies closed by now.

He seems to rack down at Birmingham alot, haven't been there myself nor do i know about its history, anyone care to explain? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.