My Volvo 244 Turbo Project

My friend used a quite small vacuum for the dust, altho it would still get everywhere. And him having to be inside the tent didnt help either, he always had to shower 3 times before he was sand free again ;)
He used regular sand as well, it was a bit too coarse actually but it went fine anyway.

A big disadvantage with being outdoors is you have to cover up the blasted areas right away. If it starts to rain the whole car will rust away instantly with the areas being bare metal. But the dust problem is definitely a big plus :)

Wow nice! I dont want to make my machine indoor useable, cos than I would need a huge vacuum machine, to move out the dust, while useing it. I want mine to work with normal sand, and outdoor, so that the dust shouldnt be a problem, like this:

http://www.ae86.hu/albums/tschangow/2004_10_02/2004_10_02/IMG_0002.jpg

http://www.ae86.hu/albums/tschangow/2004_10_02/IMG_0004.html

;)

i'd love to see you pull that off over here :lol:

we can't even lit a fire in our yard, let alone sandblast a car
there would be a green dude on your ass in no time

i'd love to see you pull that off over here :lol:

we can't even lit a fire in our yard, let alone sandblast a car
there would be a green dude on your ass in no time

Yeah I know what you mean, in the law, its probably not legal. But our neighbours are cool people so its not a problem. They didnt call the police, when we sprayed my friends car for about 3 days, so i dont think that the sand will bother tham :D .

My friend used a quite small vacuum for the dust, altho it would still get everywhere. And him having to be inside the tent didnt help either, he always had to shower 3 times before he was sand free again ;)

A big disadvantage with being outdoors is you have to cover up the blasted areas right away...

Yeah, thank god I love to shower :lol: . And yeah, It needs primer right after blasting. Thats true.

Man, I almost feel ashamed not posting here sooner, being a bit of a Volvo fan myself.

Great project you have going in the works. Would like to do something like that myself, but being at college, I don't have anywhere to keep such a vehicle. Even if I left it at home, I'd only be able to work on it for some 3 months out of the year at best (maybe not even that much).

So yeah, I'm jealous of your project, and jealous of your shop :p

A little update.. The throttle wire took a lot longer than expected, I finally got it on wednesday. But obviously it didn't fit, it was 2'' too short :mad: Or well, it did fit but idle speed was about 5000 rpm :mrgreen:
So I ordered a new one that should get here on monday.

Not that there will be any driving to my friend if the weather stays like this. Its icy as hell on the roads and I probably wont even get the car out of the garage without snow chains. The sintered clutch plate quite isnt as handy in this weather either as it is during the summer :p Well we'll see what happens, worst case scenario is that I'll have to ask a friend to drag the car up the hill with his tractor ;)

Last edited:
^ Doh, lemme explain= snow+Rwd= :mrgreen: FUN :mrgreen: ;)

Cant wait till snow :( .

^ Doh, lemme explain= snow+Rwd= :mrgreen: FUN :mrgreen: ;)

Cant wait till snow :( .

Of course! But snow + summer tires + 20 degree slope to get out of garage = less fun ;)

For the snow/ice fun I have my iceracer! It looks similar to the turbo, but its not the same car ;) This one has an NA 2.3l carburettor engine. I might put the current engine from the turbo in it next year tho, we'll see :)
pano.jpg

img_2298.jpg

Last edited:
so how many volvos do you actually have? :unsure:
and do you own any other type of brand?

I dont want to saw F.U.... But F.U. :D . Cool. Lets see some icedrifting vids :thumbsup:

How could I have missed this thread!!!!!!!! SNG, I love your backyard, I still have that panaroma with all your Volvos in the backyard on my desktop :D

Good luck with your project :D

so how many volvos do you actually have? :unsure:
and do you own any other type of brand?
I'm a bit of a Volvo maniac :mrgreen: I have 7 of them atm, and I just got rid of one last weekend (completely stripped for parts, of course).
So right now I have this turbo project..
Then I also have a 1979 265GLE which will get a restoration when the turbo is done.
Then I have the 1975 244DL which I want to put a V8 in some day when all other projects are done.
And I have the iceracer which is a 1983 244DL.
And then I have a 1989 245GL as the daily driver.

Then I have a 1986 245GL which was my daily driver until I bought the 1989 one. It's in really crappy condition and I'll just be taking some parts and then send it to the junkyard, probably won't happen until spring tho. And I have another 1983 244DL which I don't really know what to do with yet. It's my 2nd last daily driver and it's really in quite nice shape and I put a lot of work in it.

As for other brands, I don't really care for anything else and I've only owned Volvos except for the Lada/Vaz offroader. I do want to buy a more modern car some day, only for safety reasons during the winter (to get ABS, airbags, etc), but I don't want to spend a fortune on a daily driver. An 850 AWD wagon would be nice to live with :)

I dont want to saw F.U.... But F.U. :D . Cool. Lets see some icedrifting vids :thumbsup:
The car isn't completely done yet and the ice on the river is far from ready as well :) I only started this project this autumn and it needs a bit more work before its done. I need to find some decent ice tires, the rear axle needs to be welded and I'm gonna mount a whole bunch of extra lights :)

How could I have missed this thread!!!!!!!! SNG, I love your backyard, I still have that panaroma with all your Volvos in the backyard on my desktop :D
Haha, I am honored :mrgreen:

I've seen it before, but thanks :)

Today my new gaswire arrived, and it actually fit :D
So I emptied the car from all trash, bolted on some taillights, and drove it too my friend who's going to do the welding.
It was quite an exciting trip I can say.. First of all, as expected I couldnt get it out of the garage. But we were stubborn and finally with a bit of pushing we got it out.

Then the 10 mile trip to my friend.. Probably the scariest trip I've ever made! I put on some wintertires, but they werent doing much good. If I pressed the pedal just a tiny bit too much, the rear wheels just started spinning, even in 4th gear. I didnt dare to go over 2500 rpm because if the turbo would spool up I would probably have died :mrgreen: I didn't have any seatbelts either because I removed those.
So, probably the unsafest trip I've made in my life, but now the car is at my friend and he can start cutting it up :D

At least we did find a nice solution for the sunroof problem (I removed it earlier on). We taped a piece of carton over the hole so I wouldnt freeze.

I'm pretty glad I finally got it out of the garage, now I can start cleaning up a bit there. Also I needed the space to replace the heater fan on my wagon, another fun project ;)

I took some pics, but left my cam at my friend so he can take pics so those will come later :)

^ aww... Cant wait till pictures :thumbsup:

A little update, unfortunately no pics tho.

My friend started cutting up the car now :) The front floor actually wasnt as bad as it looked, so only the outer bits need to be replaced. The rest will just be scraped and repainted.
More good news was that the inside of the thing underneath the doors (whatever it's called in english) wasn't bad at all, no rust in there even tho it was filled with leafs and what not.

I also started looking for a painter last week, but the shops I went to werent interested at all in painting a whole car, they make enough money with painting just doors and stuff, insurance jobs. Finally I found a guy at a shop that was willing to do it in his spare time, but then the price would be anything between $2500-$4000, a bit too expensive I think.
But today I found a guy who's willing to do it for $1500, final prepwork and paint included, all I need to do is drop it off. It's a friend of a friend and he's supposed to be really good at this stuff, he's going to be painting the Charger on the previous page as well, and that guy is pedantic like no other ;)

That price is only for the outside tho, so I'll be doing the inside of the doors etc myself. I'm setting up a paint room in the garage where I can turn up the heat and have a bit of space to move around. Problem is that this room is as far into the building as you can get with no vent holes closer than like 50m away, so I'm gonna have to figure something out for the ventilation. Other than the location of the room everything is perfect so I'm not sure what to do :/

A little update, unfortunately no pics tho.

My friend started cutting up the car now :) The front floor actually wasnt as bad as it looked, so only the outer bits need to be replaced. The rest will just be scraped and repainted.
More good news was that the inside of the thing underneath the doors (whatever it's called in english) wasn't bad at all, no rust in there even tho it was filled with leafs and what not.

I also started looking for a painter last week, but the shops I went to werent interested at all in painting a whole car, they make enough money with painting just doors and stuff, insurance jobs. Finally I found a guy at a shop that was willing to do it in his spare time, but then the price would be anything between $2500-$4000, a bit too expensive I think.
But today I found a guy who's willing to do it for $1500, final prepwork and paint included, all I need to do is drop it off. It's a friend of a friend and he's supposed to be really good at this stuff, he's going to be painting the Charger on the previous page as well, and that guy is pedantic like no other ;)

That price is only for the outside tho, so I'll be doing the inside of the doors etc myself. I'm setting up a paint room in the garage where I can turn up the heat and have a bit of space to move around. Problem is that this room is as far into the building as you can get with no vent holes closer than like 50m away, so I'm gonna have to figure something out for the ventilation. Other than the location of the room everything is perfect so I'm not sure what to do :/

Get yourself some Duct work, duct (or duck, your preferance) tape, and an electrical fan, and that should help to direct the fumes out where you want them to go. It may cost a little, but if you do it right, it'll be a good set up for any future painting.

Or just get one of those big shop fans and a couple of good heaters. May raise your electric bill a bit...

a fan will circualte up to much dust, which will stick in the paint

Indeed, a blowing fan is not really an option because of the dust.
The room is pretty small, maybe 2x4 meters, and it already smelled like crap when I painted some small stuff with a regular spraycan in there, so I really need some good ventilation. I'll probably end up doing just what you said, laying a duct pipe all the way to the nearest vent hole.

I borrowed my own camera so here's a pic update :)

This is how it looked under the bonnet with everything in place except for the powersteering pump belt.

Then the time had come to make the car ready for the trip to my friend. The bonnet closed for the first time in a lot of months.

I had removed the sunroof but it was freezing outside, so we taped an appropriate piece of carton in its place :mrgreen:

After a dangerous and adrenalin filled trip the car was at the right place. It had to wait outside for a couple of hours because my friend had gotten a problem with one of his own cars that night, so that needed to be fixed first.

Once it was inside and on the stands we started removing parts.. The right front wing and doors had to go. And then it was time to start cutting up the right half of the car.

Now for some fun pics :)
Back floor almost done

From below

The outer floor bit replaced all the way

And the front floor

He hasn't had much time to work on the car, but he's going to be working on it full time this whole week so he should come a long way :)

Meanwhile I haven't been sitting still either.. I took apart the new engine into bits and started sandblasting and painting mounts etc, and started preparing the block for paint. Pics of that will come later, maybe tonight :)