Do you smoke? (tobacco...)

Do you smoke? (tobacco...)

• Total voters
MAKE IT TOTALLY ILLEGAL.

but.. when cigs are gone.. then "they" will come for your whiskey, your scotch, your big mac and your now "transfat free" cookies.. (dammit.. i like my transfats! they're tasty!)

being out in the sun.. fun..
inhaling toxic fumes from cars exhaust on race tracks.. fun..
welding.. fun
eating bbq'd food.. fun
drinking.. fun
having a smoke with a drink.. fun..
You're missing the point here. Nobody is saying we should ban smoking all together, just where people who choose not to smoke would be affected by the second-hand smoke.

As for your nice little tirade about how everything fun is unhealthy and therefore should be banned. Those are the same arguments I here over and over again and they're not getting any more convincing. There's a big difference between the things you listed and smoking in public places. Those are all personal choices. You can do it if you want to and only you will have to suffer from possible consequences. If somebody smokes in a public place on the other hand, his unhealthy decision is forced upon me! Now some smokers would say "then simply don't go to that place", WTF? Why should I avoid going somewhere because of somebody jeopardizing my health or making me feel uncomfortable? That would be like me going out, farting all night long and then telling people who are complaining that they can leave if they don't like it. The only difference is that health concerns for farting are probably not that high. Demanding tolerance from non-smokers towards smokers is ridiculous.

Oh, and about that "smokers are putting more money into system than they take out" argument. I'm not so sure, Maybe, maybe not. I'm tending towards the latter. But then again, nobody is saying you should quit smoking altogether.

Of yourse we have to consider quantity if we use your argument. Great ammounts of unhealthy food on a regular basis costs the taxpayer money and will harm your health.

If we use personal expiriences here I have to say that I haven't seen anyone dying from second hand smoke either. Same applies to active smokers btw. Not that I'd ever say smoking isn't harmful or possibly deadly. Just my personal observations so far.
I highly doubt unhealthy food is nearly as bad as smoking. Again though, saying something else is bad doesn't make smoking any better and therefore cannot be used as an argument against laws that ban smoking where non-smokers are affected.

As for your second point, I know two people that died from smoking. In Germany there are far more people dying from smoking each year than from all traffic accidents, alcohol, or any other substance abuse (cocaine, et cetera) combined. I 'm talking about a two to threefold difference here, BTW. In Germany alone over 1000 people die each year because of second-hand smoking, people who did nothing wrong and who were affected by the bad choices of others. Deaths which could be avoided. This is not totalitarianism, it's protecting innocent lives from a minority. Just to put this in perspective, on 9/11 "only" ~3000 innocent lives were lost.... Another argument smokers like to use is that revenue of restaurants, bars and so on will drop dramtically once laws that ban smoking are in place. Countries which have already taken the step are proof this is untrue. Most smokers won't stay at home because of such laws. In fact, in some countries revenue has gone up, because now people who couldn't stand the smoke are going out more often.

Nobody in their right mind can be opposed to banning smoking in public places, at least indoors. I'm not some sort of anti-smoking nazi. But when it comes to to people defending their addiction and bringing forward cheap arguments against anti-smoking laws, I like to debunk them. :)

i would be interested to see your sources for the 1000 deaths because of second hand smoke.

i would be interested to see your sources for the 1000 deaths because of second hand smoke.
Sorry, no online sources. Read it in a reputable German magazine. They had a cover story about the "banning smoking" debate here in Germany.

The exact number doesn't change anything though. Even if only 100 people would die each year because of other people smoking, it would still be siginificant and 100 deaths too many. (And I hope you're not doubting that you can in fact die from second-hand smoke.)

Hell no! I'm radically anti-tobacco!

That about says it perfectly for me. I'll never, ever smoke.

Drinking on the other hand...

Yeah but I doubt they mean people who go to the pub sometimes or inhale some smoke in an open railway station. Rather children who used to inhale smoke of their parents at home and in the car, or nonsmoking persons whose partner fills the house with smoke.
But, little detail, that's in their PRIVATE life and environment. And we don't want to interfere too much with peoples private lives, do we?

So that's why I don't think laws forbidding public smoking will help against those second-hand-smoke-deaths. The only way preventing that is educating the people (which has been done for quite some time now) or stop selling them all the way.

I am, however, glad there are laws against smoking at work or smoking on airplanes, buses, and so on, since you don't really have a choice of going there or using that.

I don't smoke, and I never plan on it.

i cant and dont mainly because

If someone even stands in front of me and smokes for 60 mins this is what will happen

1.I cant breathe (no seriously)
2.my lungs collapse
3. I die

why its called asthma

Wow you must have some serious asthma, I have asthma too, and my Dad's smoke never really affected me that much.

don't smoke, but not one of the preachy anti-smoke kind... its 2007, smokers know the risks

Wow you must have some serious asthma, I have asthma too, and my Dad's smoke never really affected me that much.

I actually dont know why it happens it just does. Maybe I exagerated about the dying and lungs collapsing but the part where I say I cant breathe is dead serious

Don't smoke and don't care about other people smoking unless they are doing it right in my face.
As has been said the warnings on packs like "Smoking causes long painful deaths" makes it clear to everyone the risk.

I hand roll cigarettes and i consume something like 25gr per week. It's just one thing i hate though...The way people look at me when i say i smoke...Like i am a parasite or something. It is my F*****g Right to destroy my health!!!!! In the end everybody dies sooner or later...

My motto is "Good health is merely the slowest possible way to die".
In spite of that, I quit smoking (cold turkey) because I was coughing too much and it was keeping me awake.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm conducting a survey on smoking for my school assignment, please answer the following,

1. Do you smoke? If so, how many cigarettes a day?

2. Have you tried smoking? If so, how old were you and when you smoked your first cigarette?

3.Why do you think it is hard for people to give up?

4.Do you want to give up? What reasons do you have to give up?

5.Do you know what methods there are to help others stop?

6.What methods, if any, have you tried to give up? Why didn?t/did they work?

7.How do you treat non-smokers?

8.How do non-smokers? treat you

9.What do you think of the current restrictions on smoking?

Many Thanks.

And to assure you that a bot hasn't hacked in to my account: Mopar Man is a lying arsehole who says he has an amber room and a AMV8 Vantage, also Priuses are useless POSs.

You could have started a new thread just for the purpose rather than reviving the dead.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm conducting a survey on smoking for my school assignment, please answer the following,

2. Have you tried smoking? If so, how old were you and when you smoked your first cigarette?

Many Thanks.

1)About 15 a day, more if I have to encounter PSDF on the IRC.

2)I was 12 when I started.

3)The mental and physical addiction. Mental, because like many things, you fall into a routine you do not want to give up, because it gives a semblance of order and stability. Physical, because the chemical in tobacco are highly addictive.

4)Someday, yes. But I can also go and jog 5 miles and not be winded.

5)Hypnosis, chemical treatment, therapy, etc...

6)I have used the gradual decrease over a period of time. But, being that I like routine, that was the hardest struggle.

7)The same as anyone, but they should be prepared to get a lecture from me if they do so about my habits.

8)I am noticing more and more I am looked upon as some evil villain, determined to wipe out humanity. Or, I get the stink face, or the obligatory cough to remind that I am a horrible human being.

9)Nothing I can do about it, the majority has spoken, so the minority will have to abide within the rules.

Last edited:

Many Thanks.

And to assure you that a bot hasn't hacked in to my account: Mopar Man is a lying arsehole who says he has an amber room and a AMV8 Vantage, also Priuses are useless POSs.

1. Not often, about two per month at most. (See option 4, "special occasions".)

2. When I got into college, so 19.

3. Same as jayhawk - it's mental because it's a habit to do so, and you fall into a routine where you smoke when you're bored. The worse part is when it becomes physical and your body craves nicotine, hence the mental aspect only drives it further.

4. Like I said, I don't smoke enough for me to see it as a problem. I don't find it addicting.

5. Cold turkey is too hard, but NY State has plenty of public services to help you quit smoking including addiction programs, therapy, toll-free hotlines, pamphlets, prescription drugs, annoying posters, etc. If you want to quit but can't find any place to help you, it's because you weren't trying hard enough.

6. Not smoking in the past month. Sticking only to cigars (of which I don't smoke much of either, at about the same rate).

7. The same as everybody else...

8. I smoke so infrequently that when I do some people are pretty surprised. One of my best friends smokes about a pack a day, so when I'm bumming cigarettes off him people tend to be shocked that I'm into it too. Not that I care or anything.

9. I'm ok with bans on restaurants and indoor places, but sometimes it gets a bit restrictive. No smoking within 100 feet of buildings? I kinda feel for ya, smokers.

1. I smoke quite rarely. Usually only when drinking.
2. I think I was 18 or 19
3. A habit. I think it's mostly mental. It only gets physical after a long time and even then you can overcome it with strong enough mind.
4. Not really. Smoking and drinking go so well together.
5. Lots of ways.
6. Cold turkey works the best in my opinion.
7. Same as everyone else.
8. Haven't noticed any difference.
9. I don't like restrictions.

Non-smoker.

Never bothered to try, smokers reek.

Chemical addiction, force of habit, lots of reasons. Peer pressure, to a certain extent.

N/A

Lots of methods, like nicotine substitutes, information, cigarette-box warnings, etc.

N/A

Like anybody else, really.

See above

Excellent. The less I have to deal with somebody's reeking shit the happier I am. The city I live in has banned smoking pretty much everywhere except your home and your car. Pubs no longer stink.

Don't smoke and don't care about other people smoking unless they are doing it right in my face.
As has been said the warnings on packs like "Smoking causes long painful deaths" makes it clear to everyone the risk.

I hate those graphic warnings. Sure they're to deter people from smoking, but why should those of us who have no intentions of ever taking up the habit be forced to look at them as well?

I've only ever had one cigarette at a bar and while it wasn't an entirely unpleasant experience, I don't fancy becoming a slave to the cravings or having to fork out $15 or so to maintain the habit. If people want to smoke, as long as they're not doing it in my face (ever wondered why the fuck I didn't ever call you back Victoria? Thats why)...err, good luck to them.

Oh yeah, your questions. Here goes;

1. Do you smoke? If so, how many cigarettes a day? Nope

2. Have you tried smoking? If so, how old were you and when you smoked your first cigarette? Yes, 20, and it was only one cigarette just to put a tick in that box in my life.

3.Why do you think it is hard for people to give up? Cravings I guess. Unsure. My grandfather used to be a very heavy smoker, then one day simply decided to stop, so he did.

4.Do you want to give up? What reasons do you have to give up? N/A

5.Do you know what methods there are to help others stop? Nicotine patches I spose.

6.What methods, if any, have you tried to give up? Why didn?t/did they work? N/A

7.How do you treat non-smokers? heh

8.How do non-smokers treat you? Beware the Jabberwock!

9.What do you think of the current restrictions on smoking? Good I spose. I frequent various pubs fairly often and they're much nicer places to be now that I can actually see from one side of the room to the other.

Last edited: