America attempts to end Bugatti Veyron's 15 minutes of fame

America attempts to end Bugatti Veyron's 15 minutes of fame

• Total voters
I do not like the interior of the SSC.

What's really great with the Veyron.. is that we know it will last a long long LONG time. It's been built very properly.

I'm not a huge fan of the Veyron, tbh. It's not as mad as the EB110. And the EB110 was blasting mad.

But I do like it.

Yes, there are much cheaper cars that outnumber the Veyron in one or two disciplines. But seen as a whole, you'll have a very hard time to find something similar. And I could use about every argument you brought against the Carrera GT as well. Don't get me wrong, I also love the Carrera GT, and in terms of agility and responsiveness, it is ahead of the Veyron in my book. That doesn't mean that the Veyron is useless or a bad car though.

Regards
the Interceptor
the veyron's selling point is it's top speed, and you may see 230+ mph just 1% of the time you drive the car. there are plenty of cars that are capable of 200+ mph while be equally, if not more, luxurious as the veyron and cost 70% less.

if a person can afford the veyron and wants to by it, then by all means, go ahead. that's their right and their money. a 250 mph semi-luxury vehicle is just retarded, imo.

BlaRo said:
[*]That's a freaking huge wind tunnel...(unless it's a model, then it just looks big.)

"It's only a model." "SHHH!!"

It's real. And I've seen bigger...

I am a bit preturbed by the typical responses to American cars: handling sucks, interior sucks...

Come on, give the car a chance. Though I do agree that 10 speakers is a bit much...

And I'm not paying the 1.5 million or however much it is for a Volkswagen :p j/k

the veyron's selling point is it's top speed, and you may see 230+ mph just 1% of the time you drive the car. there are plenty of cars that are capable of 200+ mph while be equally, if not more, luxurious as the veyron and cost 70% less.

if a person can afford the veyron and wants to by it, then by all means, go ahead. that's their right and their money. a 250 mph semi-luxury vehicle is just retarded, imo.
It's not just top speed. It accelerates faster than every car out there except for a handful of kit cars. And for it's size, it goes from 0-100-0 faster than superbikes.

to put some numbers in perspective, lets say the veryon costs approx $1.5M US dollars, each car cost approx $5M USD to produce and 300 production models were made.

$3.5M x 300 = $1,050,000,000.00 or $1.05 billion USD loss to the VW company.

Ok, no matter how much of a prestige project the Veyron was, most companies would have to be insane for financing such a project with such a calculated loss, no matter how big they are.

numbers like this are going to insure that nothing like this will be done on this kind of scale for a LONG time (unless its for purely military application, then money is no object to most govts at least).

Im amazed this project wasnt aborted halfway thru.

Cheaper than the Veyron by about 2/3's <-- Since when did that matter?

More Powerful than the Veyron <-- I'll give you that, then again I wonder what the powerband is like? Its easy to make a powerful engine, its hard to make a refined one

Bespoke, not just some high tuned sports car <-- And the Veyron is????

Lighter than the Veyron <-- Light weight does not make a fast car

Handles better than the Veyron (It beat the Enzo in slalom by 1mph and currently holds the record) <-- Handles is a subjective term, if it was pulls more lateral G's then yes....

Has a leather interior with nice stero and rear view camera; not roll bars fire extinguishers and racing seats <-- Leather does not make a good interior, nor do a feature list of "goodies", if that was so then a Hyundai Sonata would be better than a BMW....

is more aerodynamic than the Veyron <-- Do you have a drag coefficient number?

If all that doesnt equal "SMASHED" then I don't know what does. <-- Wait untill it is tested....you probably think a Nissan Skyline GTR is a God too....

Makeing a fast car is easy, makeing a refined useable fast car: Hard. Trust me I work for a small kit car maker. If you have ever worked in a low volume car project you'll understand how good a Veyron really is.....no I havent driven one or seen one and I don't think I'll ever will but all that refinement and attention to detail....damn I don't think anything will be able to touch it....

Actually, I've seen stated several places that the Veyron does handle better than the Enzo. Amazing, for a car its weight.

It does have a lower drag coefficient, the SSC has 0,357, while the Veyron in "slippery-mode" has 0,36, and 0,45 or something in handling mode. Not too much of an advantage tbh.

Will be interesting to see if it sticks to the ground. After all, American drivers can only go straight forward and left, so lets hope it won't need to be steered through a right bend before the speed run. It'll crash.

After all, American drivers can only go straight forward and left, so lets hope it won't need to be steered through a right bend before the speed run. It'll crash.

Funny stuff.:blink:

its true tho.. american cars only know left and straight...

as many people have already said.. the veyron is unsurpassed as an engineering feat, the Aero might beat it, but will never beat the veyron in terms of styling, luxury and chrarisma and most of all engineerin

Just another thing, its little things on the Veyron that impress. I mean look at the doors, they are frameless glass units.

Now I don't think anybody here has had to design a car door (lol, sorry!) and its the hardest thing in the world to do, the problem seems to be the glass "flexing" on the lifting mount when your at speed -- there is a pressure diffrence between the inside and outside of the glass. So you go fast the glass warps and lets air in/wind noise into the car. You can make framed glass on your doors (with runners) which stops the flex, but there is a considerable drag penalty.

Now from all accounts the Veyron is very quiet at top speed, while every other supercar is noisy and sounds like its going to break apart......that is the really impressive part about the Veyron stuff like that :)

they can only go left or straight coz a right hander is unheard of

they can only go left or straight coz a right hander is unheard of

That's OK. We have all sorts of ignorant Europeans come over here and race at Laguna Seca thinking that - and they get collected by the sand trap or the wall at the bottom of the Corkscrew which is considered by many, including a lot of F1 drivers, to be the nastiest set of corners in motor racing. Doesn't look like it on the map, but in reality... it's nasty. Been there, done that, got the scrapes on the leathers from getting bit by the Corkscrew.

11-LagunaSeca.gif

From Wikipedia: The famous, or infamous, Turn 8 and 8A combination, popularly referred to as the Corkscrew, is considered one of the motorsport world's most challenging turns, due to the drop in elevation as well as its blind apex.

Also: "The signature corkscrew at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (turns 8 and 8A) drops nearly 50 feet."

The N?rburgring has nothing on it.

Last edited:
it looks like shit

I think the question is not clear enough as it can be interpreted 2 ways. In terms of will it beat 253mph? Possibly, but so may a whole load of 1000HP+ supercars that seem to be coming out. Will it dethrone the veyron as being the car that the popular press talk about? No. Whenever did you see the Koenigsegg in the press when it took the record from the Mclaren F1. I think the Bugatti is big in every way, horsepower, top speed, acceleration, luxuries, price etc. which is unlikely to be replicated as it is so bloody expensive. I do expect many cars to surpass it in certain ways over the next few years but unless one comes along that is better than it at everything and costs twice as much then it won't be held in the same light. Saying that, I'm not a huge fan of the car as it was designed to hit certain figures (400KPH and 1000BHP) whereas the Mclaren F1 was designed to be the ultimate supercar and the fact it had the top speed record for so long was just cos they made it so damn well

LOL @ the title of the thread:

"AMERICA attempts to end Bugatti Veyron's 15 minutes of fame"

Not some little manufacturer of supercars based in USA,
no, but AMERICA!!! So, of course, the american patriots
will now defend the SSC to the death, even if its obviously
not even in the same league with the Veyron.

I've built a car that can beat a Veyron at everything! I've also made a pill that can make your car get 100 mpg, and later I'll debut my engine that runs on plastic bags.

*Gasp* Plastic?! Naughty naughty! My engine is fuelled by wind and despair, both of which I produce in massive amounts

SSC runs on freedom fries and nucular energy,
the Veyron runs on eurotrash.