Overheat is gonna hit the road

Overheat

Forum Addict
Hey all,

Sorry I haven't been around for a while, hopefully I'm gonna have a lot more time to peruse these forums from now on - so, in that case, I'll apologise, but I'm back!

Next on the agenda, I'm currently about to start learning to drive - about bloody time! I've booked an intensive course to commence on Monday next week. So, I should be able to drive within a couple weeks.

This has all been brought about by a sudden desire to get out there on the road and earn some money whilst I'm at it - my plan is to become... wait for it... a truck driver! I really fancy seeing the whole of the UK and perhaps some of Europe too and this seems a great way to do it - so wish me luck.

Also, I had a quick thought today - do you think anyone would be interested in seeing what I'm seeing whilst I'm on the road? I'm thinking about setting up a mobile version of the Nurburgring Cam in my cab (when I get one) and then broadcasting my sights to the world. Let me know if you think this is a good idea :)

In the meantime - I'm looking forward to returning to these lovely forums and hoepfully contributing to discussions once again :)

oh man UK trucker cam would be sweet... also welcome back

^ That's what I was gonna ask... :p

Are you taking a course to get your car license or lorry/truck license?

The webcam thing would be a good idea for friends and FGers to watch.

^ That's what I was gonna ask... :p

Are you taking a course to get your car license or lorry/truck license?

The webcam thing would be a good idea for friends and FGers to watch.

He says hes about to start learning to drive, so i'd guess its his normal car license.

Good luck, and remember to drive on the wrong side! :lol:

I'm thinking about setting up a mobile version of the Nurburgring Cam in my cab (when I get one) and then broadcasting my sights to the world.

i think that's a good idea 8)
maybe you could build something similar to this mobile catcam :lol:

Nice to see you back - your plan sounds interesting, but be aware that you'll be employed by some company (I don't assume that you'll own you own truck) and as far as I know most transport companies have rather standardised routes, so check out what trips you'll be making before signing a contract. (remember - truck driver also could mean to transport dairy products from Bradford to Leeds each day ;) )

That I wasn't expecting from you :lol:

Any ideas what your first CAR will be or will you earn some money being a truckie and then worry about a car later?

Welcome back btw! That makes both you AND justin who have have returned this week AND announced they're getting behind the wheel. Now all we need to do is get Viper in that position...

(remember - truck driver also could mean to transport dairy products from Bradford to Leeds each day ;)

Heh, yeah.

<- Did the delivery work for past 4 or 5 summers on trucks. It sucks. Getting up early (I mean EARLY, like 5am or worse for most jobs), having stupidly long day with many hour gaps, and constant rush and tight schedules during work time itself.

For long distance you really need CE license (truck+trailer), and I'm not sure if you can do E right away, without working with C (just truck) for some time.

My neighbor transports cars (usually somewhat exotic by US standards) to and from car dealerships.
I imagine he drives different routes every once in a while, plus he gets to drive some nice cars (at least on and off the trailer).
Perhaps something to consider?

I recently passed my 10-year anniversary of driving...:p Ah well, better late than never.

Nice to see some familiar faces (ie names :p) here :)

To answer some questions:

I'm 23 - first I'm going to get my car license, as I still haven't got one. Then straight after get my truck license, money permitting. I'm just gonna get the C to start with, then the C+E later I think, that way I can start earning money faster. Depends what the person I'm going to be borrowing the money from thinks really though! haha (probably my Dad)

I'm hoping not to be doing simple routes and I especially hope not to be doing only local, though this seems unlikely with trucks rather than vans. The company I plan to do my truck training with will also be placing me, so I'll make sure they know all the criteria that I'd like (in an ideal world - initially, just to get some money in the bank would be nice!)

In answer to SL65 (like the shortened name ;)) I'll be getting a car in future, not straight away - perhaps once I have a bit of money spare or a few loans paid off! I'm in a lot of debt post-uni. Also, did you mention Justin? *shudder* hehe

I don't mind what I'm going to be transporting as long as I get to see a lot of the UK - there's a lot of beauty in the UK and I love travelling and being on the road anyway, so hopefully this will be a good job for me.

Re: the webcam thing - any ideas how I could pull this off? And do you think there'd be any demand for it?

So you're a university grad and you're gonna drive a truck? Does it pay that well?

Hey all,
Next on the agenda, I'm currently about to start learning to drive - about bloody time! I've booked an intensive course to commence on Monday next week. So, I should be able to drive within a couple weeks.

wtf I thought you were 30 at least

Oh thank Science.... Overheat I thought you were leaving the forum. Damn, you scared me there.

Good luck on your exam buddy :thumbsup:

That's true... I'm doing history/poli sci right now and I just know I'll end up in a totally different field when I graduate in a few months. Well good luck with everything!