Bad memory?

Well I let the memtest go while I slept and went to work (17 hours) and had 0 errors.

I'm gonna go with Susurrate on this one.

Memory problems are usually fairly random. If it's in the lower part of the memory, you may have serious problems getting the system to start. If it's higher up, it may not show up until you've loaded a few programs.

CPU and memory problems are very easy to tell when installing Windows (2000 especially) because the part where it copies files to the HD during the first install screen will always error out on a different file each time you try, even though the disc is perfectly fine.

Ahh.. I'm gonna blame my 802.11g usb adapter for this, I had heard it messed with memory but mine never really goes above 2-3% with no programs open, I'll disconnect it for a few days and see if the problem comes back.

btw I went wireless because the wired adapter on the back is kaputt

Well I let the memtest go while I slept and went to work (17 hours) and had 0 errors.

So your memory is most likely fine. As I said before, probably a windows configuration problem, or maybe a problem with some program that runs in Windows.

Now finding out what exactly...:think:

Ahh.. I'm gonna blame my 802.11g usb adapter for this, I had heard it messed with memory but mine never really goes above 2-3% with no programs open, I'll disconnect it for a few days and see if the problem comes back.

btw I went wireless because the wired adapter on the back is kaputt

USB wireless drivers have a history of being dodgy yeah, what brand is it?

I've been trying to open/use all the programs I normally have to see if any of them are leaking my memory.

Its been a day and a half and have not had any issues. Linksys may have to give my money back.

Do you need a recovery CD/Windows disc to update BIOS?

Do you need a recovery CD/Windows disc to update BIOS?

No. Many newer motherboard manufacturers allow you to update the BIOS while booted into Windows (with an .EXE file). Otherwise you have to do it via a boot-floppy.

Or if your motherboard is excruciatingly modern (lkike mine) you can do it from a non-bootable usb stick \o/

Could very well be your linksys drivers yeah. Never really liked their consumer stuff. The SMB stuff however, <3

Its definitely the Linksys adapter. 3 days and its been running perfectly.

Perhaps the desktop card will work better?