ISP Problem

MadCow809

Forum Addict
Anyone here received a letter or any kind of warning from their ISP before?

i got a letter this morning, from my ISP (charter) stating that ive been downloading movies & mp3 and what not.. They rate if i dont stop downloading, or delete the stuff on my computer, they are gonna terminate my account.

What fucking bullshit, internet is made for downloading, i didnt get a 5mb connection to sit and surf the net. I got it so i can download stuff.

Anyone got some clever ideas to share? such as programs that can block IP etc.

Thanks in advance

It's likely that they just detected high bandwidth usage.

A few solutions:

• stop downloading so much
  • switch ISPs
  • force encrypt all of your BitTorrent packets
  • use a non-default BT port

I've been with AT&T (formerly SBC) for over four years and I haven't received a single threatening letter. Cable companies FTL!

Don't download the really popular stuff straight away, grab it off irc instead (or usenet if you want to pay a monthly fee)

:lol: @ IRC. That's SO slow. :p

Change ISPs. Whoever you're using is scum and shill for the entertainment industry (who are even greater scum).

Change ISPs. Whoever you're using is scum and shill for the entertainment industry (who are even greater scum).

Charter, they are knobs i know : (

Don't download the really popular stuff straight away, grab it off irc instead (or usenet if you want to pay a monthly fee)

Im not, i dled a movie that was made in 1978.. thats not popular at all.

It's likely that they just detected high bandwidth usage.

A few solutions:

• stop downloading so much
  • switch ISPs
  • force encrypt all of your BitTorrent packets
  • use a non-default BT port

1)Im not downloading that much
2)I cant, my family is using charter to watch cable TV as well
3)How do you do that? tick the encryption box for utorrent? Ive already done that
4)Im running a random port everytime i start BT

thx for the advise, any other solutions?? such as using some VPN program or some kind to block/change the IP

Go DSL. A lot of DSL ISP's dont really care yet about download limits and etc because they dont have to deal with the bandwidth sharing issue. Now this might all change but i have not heard many DSL people complaining.

You best option is changing ISP.

Go DSL. A lot of DSL ISP's dont really care yet about download limits and etc because they dont have to deal with the bandwidth sharing issue. Now this might all change but i have not heard many DSL people complaining.

You best option is changing ISP.

Charter is not complaining about my download limit, they are bitching about what im downloading, e.g movies/mp3/tv shows etc... basically... stuff that u are not suppose to be downloading : (

dled it from the net...

any tips on how to use it?

- update : the program says that IPs are block, and i can see the IPs being listed (p2p IPs). Lets just hope the program works....

i dont want pigs to be knocking on my door.

Last edited:
Cable seriously sucks in the U.S., all they ever do is raise prices and throttle your internet (torrents are evil, right Comcast?). You should really have DSL as your ISP and satellite for TV, probably cheaper too.

I'm thankful Comcast hasn't throttled my BT yet, but it's probably only a matter of time.

Be careful, I've had two warnings from two seperate ISP's. The first one was because of me, I was downloading movies. The second one was my fucking retarded sister who decided to download a copy of Saw III, I got an 'warning' email telling me to stop! Which I have!

Might want to be a little more trepid with the whole illegal downloading.
This article can help.

While your 5mb connection (which is absolute crap compared to the rest of the world, thank you america) is meant for downloading (well, not if comcast has anything to say about it) you still can't download "illegal" media.

It seems odd that your ISP would threaten termination of your account for downloading illegal media. Normally they wouldn't care until contacted by the copyright owners (or pigs claiming to represent the owners).

Peerguardian2 is a step in the right direction, you will want to learn how to spot real and fake torrents, as well as getting those torrents from a reputable source (e.g. one that isn't currently being investigated by pigs).

The myopic, ignorant masses still consider piracy a crime, so watch your back on the high seas.

The current full release of pg2 kinda works on vista, meaning it doesn't block everything correctly and has a penchant for locking up and crashing.

They have a release candidate but there is no guarantee that it will work either.

I blame M$ for coding Vista so terribly. It truly is the new ME...

I would disagree with you there. There are plenty of amazing fast xdcc bots around.

so wat? its allright to get stuff from mirc?? i used to be on mirc quite often, but that was a while ago.

Hi,
I don't use Vista yet. I tried it & got pissed off. Most of the stuff I have doesn't work on Vista. Maybe it'll get better then I may use it day to day....

Anyways PG2 is the way to go to help protect you. DO NOT GO COMMANDO!

I got an email allegedly from the RIAA, I don't remember when as I deleted is as spam, but I've been using PG2 since. You'd be amazed what IP ranges are being blocked by PG2...:blink:

Any questions?