Photoshopping out Number Plates.

Somewhat back on topic: I haven't bothered with editing out the license plates, I just find it pointless.

Somewhat back on topic: I haven't bothered with editing out the license plates, I just find it pointless.

I don't either but the only reason i wanttted to do it this time was because 2 owners came upto me and didn't mind me taking the pics but just asked if they can have the number plates taken off from there cars.

I don't either but the only reason i wanttted to do it this time was because 2 owners came upto me and didn't mind me taking the pics but just asked if they can have the number plates taken off from there cars.

Yeah, I'd probably do the same thing. No point in making the owners angry if they specifically ask for removing the plates and you get to photograph their beauties :) But still, can't see the point in it. If you're really that concerned that someone will dig out your address and other information (for car stealing purposes) with the vehicle registration, you can (at least in Finland) tell the vehicle registration office that you want your information to be secret.

Yeah, I'd probably do the same thing. No point in making the owners angry if they specifically ask for removing the plates and you get to photograph their beauties :) But still, can't see the point in it. If you're really that concerned that someone will dig out your address and other information (for car stealing purposes) with the vehicle registration, you can (at least in Finland) tell the vehicle registration office that you want your information to be secret.
from my understanting you have to be a member of the goverment, for example a cop to be able to get that information here in australia, but i might be wrong...

wasn't it monaco or monte carlo that clarkson was watching traffic, saw a hot chick in a car, jotted down her number plate and opened a little registry book, which you can buy in any book shop and checked her details?

from my understanting you have to be a member of the goverment, for example a cop to be able to get that information here in australia, but i might be wrong...

In Finland you can get that information with a simple text message. Vehicle owner, technical details (engine, power etc.), when it was last inspected, does it have any unpaid taxes and so on.

wasn't it monaco or monte carlo that clarkson was watching traffic, saw a hot chick in a car, jotted down her number plate and opened a little registry book, which you can buy in any book shop and checked her details?

i would assume that book would be out dated VERY quickly with cars always changing hands...:?

I dunno about now, but you used to be able to go into a DMV with a plate number, pay $5 and get the registration info. That helps you find the owner if you want to buy a particular car or want something off your property.

if you take lots of pics at car meets and such, it may not be a bad idea to get a fake vanity plate or covering with magnets and slap that on before you take a pic, with the owner's permission. many magazines do this during photo shoots.

if you take lots of pics at car meets and such, it may not be a bad idea to get a fake vanity plate or covering with magnets and slap that on before you take a pic, with the owner's permission. many magazines do this during photo shoots.

that is a good idea for a single car photo shoot but for a car meet were you will have multiple cars in the same shot and the cars are always moving around doesn't seem that practical....

I don't see the problem with it, takes like 3 seconds to take it on or off.

or just make one in photoshop and use transform to cover the actual plate.

I'd say it's the car owner's job to cover up his/her plates, not the photographers'. If the cars and their plates are clearly visible for example in a car meet, there's no point in blaming anyone taking pictures of them. Cover your plates up yourself or don't bring out your precious car if you're so paranoid, that's my opinion.

I'd say it's the car owner's job to cover up his/her plates, not the photographers'. If the cars and their plates are clearly visible for example in a car meet, there's no point in blaming anyone taking pictures of them. Cover your plates up yourself or don't bring out your precious car if you're so paranoid, that's my opinion.

The problem with that is that most photographers like to be invited back to other meets, and not have the owners grumpy with them. Sometimes it's impossible to remove your plate. For example, here in Calgary, it's illegal to park a car on the street without a numberplate. Since most of our meets are held on city streets...

It's just common courtesy. Yes, I'd much prefer it to be the owners who remove the plates in advance, but if they don't, it doesn't take me very long to go through 60+ pictures and remove the plates.

I fully agree with Raparperi. Never covered and will not cover any numberplates in my pics or videocaps.

In Switzerland you can have the owners name and adress over the official website from the "Strassenverkehrsamt" after just typing in the plate number. The Swiss numberplates have one to six digits.
Try it out: http://www.autoindex.sg.ch/

Greetings, lip

it was motorworld in Switzerland. but he said the plate stays with you for life there, so whatever car that plate is on belongs to her, and it moves around as you buy a new car :)

this used to be the deal here as well untill a few years ago. now the plates move with the car.

it was motorworld in Switzerland. but he said the plate stays with you for life there, so whatever car that plate is on belongs to her, and it moves around as you buy a new car :)

That's about as inaccurate as most bias Clarkson has about other countrys. But mabye that's the thing why we like him the way we do. :lol:

Seriously:
In Switzerland you can keep your car plates if you want when registering a new car, and so some numbers are staying in familys for generations. But if you want new numbers, you can allways choose new ones. If you want some particular number like 1000 or 99999, you have to purchase them by auction from the official government website. If you don't care what number you get, the person on the counter holds a basket with a few little identical boxes in front of you, you choose one, open it up and you get the random number inside.

Greetings, lip

Last edited:
How about removing them altogether? I tried my best. You can heal out some of the rough edges from here, but I'm just trying to show that it is possible and it isn't very hard either. Photoshop is magic.

porschenoplatecopy.png

porschenoplate2copy.png

And if you want to know how to remove them altogether... there's a price to pay ;). *points at cookie*

That looks fair awesome, The only problem i see is that it can't be done on all cars that easialy, not saying it can't be done, just might be a little bit to hard for me :p, but i do love how clean the car looks with no plate whats so ever. will start trying that out after exams are over :(

But Aweosme work LurkerPatrol :thumbup: