Yet more computer trouble...

Cryptopygia

The Eastern state where you can't fill your tank
Car(s)
Whichever car is still working
When I woke up this morning, I heard that my computer had restarted as I woke. After Windows loaded, (I could log in) it proceeded to reboot, and to continue doing this until I turned it off. Any idea of what's causing this?

Maybe your power supply went bust? And it doesn't have enough power and reboots from the moment your graphics card gets to show something heavier? Just guessing.

I had the problem of a weak power supply that kept on rebooting my pc. Drove me nuts untill I swapped it with a powerful one and knew it was indeed the power supply.

Can you boot in safe mode?

Maybe sasser virus? (get a removal tool)
Try the ram with Memtest?

Maybe your power supply went bust? And it doesn't have enough power and reboots from the moment your graphics card gets to show something heavier? Just guessing.

I had the problem of a weak power supply that kept on rebooting my pc. Drove me nuts untill I swapped it with a powerful one and knew it was indeed the power supply.

Hope that isn't it. I'm not sure I can afford a new power supply

Can you boot in safe mode?

I'll try that when I get back home.

Maybe sasser virus? (get a removal tool)
Try the ram with Memtest?

*see power supply*

To you see a dialog box indicating a problem with "RPC" or "Remote Procedure Call" and countdown from a minute?

Hackers are stealing ur megahurtz.

I'd start off with safe mode and do virus scan etc there first :)

It started (and stayed on) in Safe Mode, so it's more than likely not a hard-drive problem. :)

To you see a dialog box indicating a problem with "RPC" or "Remote Procedure Call" and countdown from a minute?

No, I don't. The problem usually occurs when the tan dialogue boxes that appear on XP's taskbar (With me, it's for my Internet connection status).

It started (and stayed on) in Safe Mode, so it's more than likely not a hard-drive problem.
Go back to safe mode and tell us what's in your startup folder and msconfig startup tab.

^How do I access them?

Update: Just installed a freeware antivirus program, and YES! I am infected. :(

Fortunately, it can delete them, so I should be good on that front... :D

Last edited:
Startup: Start > [All] Programs > Startup
msconfig: Start > Run > "msconfig" > OK > Startup tab

Startup Folder: Gamespot Download Manager (Had it for a while already), Microsoft Office, and the software for my wireless Internet card.

msconfig:

Code:
(plus above)
SpeedUpMyPc (PC optimization software)
Steam
SUPERAntiSpyware (duh)
Core (probably EA)
msmsgs
*some unspecified application* (concerned about that one)
ashdisp (seems to be from my antivirus software)
winampa (Winamp)
ALCXMNTR (not sure)
cli (from an ATI folder)
GameChannel (Wild Tangent)
jusched (probably Java)
realsched (RealPlayer?)

Hmmm...Wild Tanget can be nasty (at least I've noticed it as such). Try unchecking that one.

Startup Folder: Gamespot Download Manager (Had it for a while already), Microsoft Office, and the software for my wireless Internet card.

msconfig:

Code:
(plus above)
SpeedUpMyPc (PC optimization software)
Steam
SUPERAntiSpyware (duh)
Core (probably EA)
msmsgs
*some unspecified application* (concerned about that one)
ashdisp (seems to be from my antivirus software)
winampa (Winamp)
ALCXMNTR (not sure)
cli (from an ATI folder)
GameChannel (Wild Tangent)
jusched (probably Java)
realsched (RealPlayer?)

1) uncheck everything, go to services, hide all microsoft ones and kill all unknown/weird services
2) open up taskmanager, kill all weird/unknown applications. go to startup folder and kill everything you dont need there.
3) install a good, reliable anti-virus program, reboot and do a full scan.

Last edited:
Update: After an antivirus program and repairing the Windows files that were corrupted...

IT LIVES! My computer is alive again! :mouse:

So, time to let this thread die.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH! WHY WON'T IT STOP CRASHING OUT OF SAFE MODE?!

Yes, it's continued rebooting after I log in AGAIN! :censored:

Edit: Fixed it :)

Last edited: