2008 F1 Car Launches

Williams delays FW30 track debut

11 January 2008

The Williams Formula 1 team has decided to travel to Jerez next week with the FW29-B spec. The team's brand new FW30 isn't ready yet unfortunately for its scheduled debut in the South of Spain.

The Williams team planned to run its 2008 contender next week in Jerez, but according to the team's technical director, Sam Michael, the team decided to continue working on the car in the factory and run with the team's FW29-B spec car. "We knew our schedule was going to be very tight so we rather wait with our car's debut for one week than to rush things now," Michael told German magazine Auto Motor und Sport. The team now plans to run the FW30 at Valencia the week after.

Source

Hardly a launch. It has some guy's notebook left on the monocoque. Rubbish bins in the background, and what appears to be some sort of child's ride on tractor!

Hardly a launch. It has some guy's notebook left on the monocoque. Rubbish bins in the background, and what appears to be some sort of child's ride on tractor!

It does look good though.

lol, that car launch is so funny. I bet I could have snuck in there and driven the car home. If only it was reliable enough.

lol...in all fairness, the caption for the 2nd photo is "Preparing for it's launch at the Autosport show."

i hope the official launch will be somewhat more glamorous.

it'll probably be as fast as the dumpster in the background :lol:

I really like how that car looks and I'd venture to say it's my favorite so far in this thread. But that carpet! Geeeeeeeeeeez! :barf:

...the nose already came off and it hasn't topped 1mph...

Just with a glance you can tell that the car is not as aerodynamically advanced as the mclaren or the ferrari.

Williams to run six different liveries this winter

14 January 2008

On Monday, to inaugurate the start of Williams' thirtieth year of Formula One racing, the Williams F1 team will unveil the first of six winter test liveries designed to celebrate a sequence of landmarks that will take place when the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship gets underway in March later this year.

As the two FW29B interim cars rolled out this morning at the Jerez de la Frontera circuit to start the team's preparation and testing for 2008, the car livery will include references to the company's 30th year of racing and its 500th entry in a Formula One Grand Prix, a milestone that will be recorded at the Turkish Grand Prix this season. In addition, the team will record its 50,000 racing lap during the forthcoming year, potentially during the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona assuming both FW30s demonstrate a complete finishing record to this point in the season.

In addition to these company milestones, the Monaco Grand Prix will be Frank Williams' 600th Formula One Grand Prix as an entrant, and with a personal record that will span 39 years (and only 23 races missed in almost four decades), he will become the sport's longest enduring entrant, surpassing the record of the legendary Enzo Ferrari.

The team will release its second winter livery at the Valencia test next week, which is also scheduled to be the first run for the team's 2008 racecar, the FW30, which will make its track debut on Tuesday, January 22, 2008. In total, six themed liveries will be run across the two month winter testing campaign in Spain prior to the team's full racing colours being released prior to the season's inaugural race in Melbourne, Australia on March 16, 2008.

Source

Here is the first livery...

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/14/90129.jpg

They are some pretty impressive milestones for Williams this year.

BMW looks nice as always, but they should have refresh the livery.
:hmm: There is no this fancy bridge over the nose.

OK, everyone from Toyota to Renault copied the front rim shields from Ferrari since its been debut in Silverstone...

But this one its kinda deferant :think:

bmwsaube.jpg

Its really interesting though, I need to read more about the concept if it adds anything more than Ferrari's.

yeah, i remember seeing this picture once. i dunno if its a photoshop but its so much better than the current livery.

http://img181.imageshack.**/img181/1297/bmwsauberf107byemrehusmenbc7.jpg

but then again i remembered bill thomas said on top gear mag's web before last season.

Keep it simple, boys, keep it neat and clean, and your car will win. For that reason, and that reason alone - paint - I think Ferrari will walk the championship this year.

maybe he's right cuz the renault sucked (relatively), honda was terrible with their elaborate earth livery and ferrari with their classic red won it again.

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/017-the-colour-of-failure/

They are kind of different. When Ferrari and Mclaren launched their car they kept their cards close to their chest and didn't show everyone their front wing, but BMW are showing theirs off and bragging about it. Then at the same time they aren't going to the Jerez test, instead their doing their own secret test in Valencia.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/14/90129.jpg
That's one evil looking car. I love it! :thumbsup: Too bad it won't last very long.

For some reason that BMW just doesn't float my boat. I guess it's the combination of too much white and that huge fin over the engine.