The Time is Nigh...

Volvo Wagon and Audi A4 Avants = Hotness...

Hell, both Volvo and Audi wagons used, is in the low 20k for 2000-2004 model ranges.

Last edited:
There's a black V70R I see downtown on a regular basis and I've started carrying a hanky to mop up my drool. They're gorgeous in a fantastically subtle way.

The Volvo, definitely. I know someone who has one, it just looks and feels so much better than the Mini.

There's a black V70R I see downtown on a regular basis and I've started carrying a hanky to mop up my drool. They're gorgeous in a fantastically subtle way.

My personal philosophy on design and beauty (for ALL things, not just cars) is that less is more, I think there is substantial merit in the simplicity of a Volvo. That said, i like the Honda Civic Coupe Si, a lot and I think for the price, its the best car.

mini or the rx8, since you hand picked them from the bunch.

otherwise my suggestion would be either a pre-owned s2000 or golf v gti

S2000 won't fit his dogs.

If you don't mind used, is there any chance of obtaining a Golf R32? Those things are pretty good in all regards (V6, AWD, good chassis, hatchback practicality).

I do like the idea of the S60R out of your list. Its a bit heavier and less outright sporty than your other choices, but as a daily driven vehicle that has to be a jack of all trades, its hard to top.

MINI OR GTFO! :p

But seriously, from what I gather, you've been a Mini-man (< see what I did there?) for a long time. And it's the perfect time for you to finally get one, and the Cooper S would be an excellent choice. It looks excellent, drives excellent, has excellent features (heated seats and what not) and is one very cool car.

And because family and stuff won't be factor for a while, this is the perfect time for you to get a car that you'll actually enjoy driving. :)

/Oh yeah, but you can't fit the dogs... WELL I SAY F*CK THE DOGS! Leave them at home for all I care... :p

But that said, the Volvo S60R is a very delicious car. From what I've read it's practical, safety is integrated into the whole structure, not just tacked on, the five-cylinder engine is a ripper and, regardless of how well it's tuned, seems to be bullet-proof, drives like no Volvo before it and doesn't look half bad. And the car will adapt to whatever lifestyle changes you have -- if you have a new family and what not.

/Oh and you can fit the bloody dogs, as well.
//Aw c'mon! They're expendable... :lol:

So I'd consider the Mini and Volvo, buy hey, that's just my two cents...

edit: I would also persuade you the RX-8 - heck, I love it - but I'm sure you're only half-hearted on this car.

Last edited:
I'd certainly take the Mini, it's the perfect car to fit your needs, and hey, why not you're young and smack bang in the middle of the period where you can drive a Mini without looking stupid.

My name's Rich.
lol.gif

Just because it's your name doesn't mean it suits you, my friends call me Eddie but does that mean I'm as goofy as Eddie Mcguire, of course not, I'm 12 and more sophisticated than the average 18 y.o.

Get the S60 and save money by not buying a winter beater. You wont need it, the S60 won't rust even if you sink it into a sea of salt.

Just because it's your name doesn't mean it suits you, my friends call me Eddie but does that mean I'm as goofy as Eddie Mcguire, of course not, I'm 12 and more sophisticated than the average 18 y.o.

what in the hell?:blink:

Did you actually read the entire post?

To get you up to speed:

Patrick, after thinking of your kind of personality, the one I know of here, I think the MINI is the right choice. You're 22 years old, whoop it up.

Ok... this is the point where I'm gonna embarrass the shit out of you:

My name's Rich. :lol:

See Eddie, Rich was just correcting jayhawk...

I've changed my mind. The S60 is a nice, sedate-ish sedan - but what you really need is a firebreathing wagon!

Hell yeah, V70R FTMFW! I'd totally rock one of those. You could drive everywhere with your dogs plastered to the back window.

I actually never really looked at the V70R, but in doing my research learned a lot about them because the main website I used had a shared board for the S60 and V70. Around here, and frankly I think anywhere, they are incredibly hard to find and cost a bit more than the S60s. I love estates, and hatchbacks, so if I can find one... it'll get test driven like a bastard.

Get the S60 and save money by not buying a winter beater. You wont need it, the S60 won't rust even if you sink it into a sea of salt.

Think so? I was thinking about that because of the AWD of the Volvo driving it all year would be an option. I was simply afraid of corrosion from salt, since we get bad winters here.

from my personal experience of just over 2 years of owning one.....
chevy_cobalt_SS_manu-07_06-1024.jpg

and i'm not just talking from fanboy experience. these are great cars for that price range. i haven't had one problem with it. the trunk is absolutely huge for how small the car is even though you're not talking practicality. they handle as good as the Mini also. if you don't want the boy racer look though, its not that expensive to get rid of the stock wing for a base SS spoiler.

I've sat in these at auto shows (purely for amusement sake) and a friend of mine has one in a ridiculous yellow colour. Simply the best response to the Cobalt SS is a stern, but derisive, "Thanks, but no thanks".

Think so? I was thinking about that because of the AWD of the Volvo driving it all year would be an option. I was simply afraid of corrosion from salt, since we get bad winters here.

Have it washed regularly during the winter and rust from salt will not be an issue.

I've changed my mind. The S60 is a nice, sedate-ish sedan - but what you really need is a firebreathing wagon!

IMG_4550.jpg

Hell yeah, V70R FTMFW! I'd totally rock one of those. You could drive everywhere with your dogs plastered to the back window.

+1, YES, get it, just get it, pure sex all the way with that.

It's the Shaggin' Waggon!

/Owned a Volvo wagon in high school and the first few years of college.
//Will say no more.

Volvo FTW.
Had one, loved it.

The RX8 would be my favorite, but in a real life...i don't think so.
For some reason I just don't like the new(ish) Mini.

Okay, I'm gonna knock these down in order of worst to best.

The Volvo, just don't. Buying the Volvo means you will be required to do 5mph under the speed limit at all times except in school zones where you will do 10 under whether the lights are flashing or not. The Volvo will also lead all chicks to believe you are married and have kids, the only ones you will be able to explain this away to are feminists with thick horn rimmed glass and unshaven pits. Once again do not buy the Volvo.

The Mini, the good news is you will be able to travel at the speed limit and then some (within reason) in this car. The bad news is most women will assume you are driving your girlfriend's car which is okay if you have a girlfriend not okay if you don't. Also expect to be hit on by older gay men if you should venture into the downtown area of any decent size city.

The RX-8 is quite vulgar. Being a guy of 22 sitting in that car it will be assumed by most older adults that you are immature and a jackass, even more so if you have spikey hair. The good news is this car should not be an obstruction in the chick department, unless you're after a feminist and well then see the Volvo section.

Your top 2 choices are probably my least favorite dude cars. I like the Mini as a car I just don't think it is for guys, and as for the Volvo I think this world would be a much better place if the cars and their drivers just spontaneously ceased to exist. (It's nothing personal to you Volvo drivers, that's just the way I feel.) So, by default I lean towards the RX-8 just make sure you get a good inspection from a trusty mechanic.

How big is your dick it must be small to have adopted that belief system. Women don't care about cars they see them as transport. Have you never seen girls in the wild or is it just on TV. A girl will get into a rusted heap of shit if the guy is what she wants.

The Volvo in sedan form would lead most women to believe its a much more expensive luxury auto. The mini is for guys who are secure enough in their manhood to know gay men and not sleep with them. RX-8 is a very nice car and would likely cost you a lot of money in upkeep, money that would be better spent on drinks when you out in the world.

You know what the world is Susurrate the place outside with the sun and shit.

Some RX8 advice: don't buy it if you live in a crowded area with tons of traffic. The engine needs to be spun and driven hard, and my entire commute is done under 3000rpm and I am spending a lot of money on gas just going out driving the car to make up for the commutes I have to do. Its kind of annoying and getting old, espeically as gas prices rise. I've spent roughly 200 dollars in gas in this month so far (January).

All that said, best car I've ever owned and would buy another Rotary in a heartbeat. I guess its just a bug that has to bite you.