What do non-Americans think of NASCAR

Whatever, they still look funny jumping over that wall thingy... kind of like they don't really know what they are doing.

Just think of it like football (soccer). Just a bunch of guys running around like they don't know what they're doing.

I like the more organized pitstops in F1; when you watch one there, you feel like everybody has a clear idea about what they have to do, and it's amazing to see them refuel+change tires in under 10 seconds, change the car's nose in the time it takes a Nascar pit to finish its refuelling+tire changing job, and so many other unseen things behind the garage doors, like changing a gearbox in half an hour, an engine in an hour (which is really quick, considering that they have to rip apart all the rear end of the car).

Simpler is better. Back when NASCAR allowed engine swaps during a race, a team could take a car to the garage, swap engines, and have it back on track in 10 minutes.

I'm not american, but I live in the states.
I do find NASCAR appealing to some extent and watch it from time to time. But I find the commentators really annoying (especially for their southern accent).
Also the safety car comes way to often.
I really don't like the Southern atmosphere around NASCAR. I am also a Jeff Gordon fact - mainly because he is a very good driver and I really don't care about the fact that he is not from the Southern states.

so if he was southern, you wouldn't like him? that's basically what you're trying to say.

NASCAR originated in the south including South Carolina and Florida with tracks like Daytona and Darlington. how the fuck do expect them to talk? that really fucking offends me. i was raised in Texas and infact do have a southern accent.

oh and Meio....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJvX7HKaEn0&NR=1

you must not watch NASCAR that much if you think precisioned pit stops like that look chaotic. why don't you come here and try out for a pit crew? because it seems like you know how to do it better.

Holy shit!! I thought they would use one-piece center nuts. That is insane. Anyone bagging NASCAR pit crews after watching that needs to pull their heads in.

and for anyone saying NASCAR boys can't drive, can YOU catch a slide at 250km/h??

I haven't watched much NASCAR, the road courses are quite cool. Ovals don't interest me so much. Not my favourite form of motorsport. But certainly a perfectly legitimate one.

I like the more organized pitstops in F1; when you watch one there, you feel like everybody has a clear idea about what they have to do, and it's amazing to see them refuel+change tires in under 10 seconds, change the car's nose in the time it takes a Nascar pit to finish its refuelling+tire changing job, and so many other unseen things behind the garage doors, like changing a gearbox in half an hour, an engine in an hour (which is really quick, considering that they have to rip apart all the rear end of the car).
If I see a Nascar pit stop, i cannot decide: fall asleep or rolling on the floor laughing:
[YOUTUBE]SiaaS-23rVI[/YOUTUBE]
That's not a pit stop! I don't doubt that the guys are doint hard work there, but that cannot be the pinnacle of motorsport. :lol:

That' what i would call a pit stop! Under 10 seconds like F1? Do it under 5 seconds like the DTM guys ;)
[YOUTUBE]4WfXe7mGDyI[/YOUTUBE]

If I see a Nascar pit stop, i cannot decide: fall asleep or rolling on the floor laughing:
That's not a pit stop! I don't doubt that the guys are doint hard work there, but that cannot be the pinnacle of motorsport. :lol:

That' what i would call a pit stop! Under 10 seconds like F1? Do it under 5 seconds like the DTM guys ;)

The DTM guys only had a tiny tiny amount of fuel to put in the car. F1 fuel rigs sometimes have to throw 100-120 liters of fuel into the tank. I don't think that the DTM refuelling stop adds more than 40-50 liters. So, relating the pitstop time to the fuel added, I'd say it's an identical pitstop to a F1 one.

As for the Nascar pitstop... looks totally disorganised.

Complete rubbish. There is absolutely no difference between the NASCAR stop and the DTM stop except the technology available. NASCAR using fuel canisters instead of refuelling rig and 5 wheel nuts instead of 1.

I am just blown away how fast the NASCAR wheel guys work.

Complete rubbish. There is absolutely no difference between the NASCAR stop and the DTM stop except the technology available. NASCAR using fuel canisters instead of refuelling rig and 5 wheel nuts instead of 1.

There are massive differences in the rules. Mainly demonstrated in that DTM doesn't have a stupid pit wall for everyone to jump over with their gear like it was a Benny Hill sketch about an incompetent team who forgot that their car was due into the pits.

[YOUTUBE]wu9aQdcdlg4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]4OUeTSM9t4o[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe not as silly as it seems.

see, this is like comparing stock cars to completely modded cars. its pointless to compare a DTM pit crew against a NASCAR pit crew.

reason being....

DTM has 4 tire changers, 4 tire men, a gas rig (as Necx0 pointed out), and hydraulic jacks compared to NASCAR's pit crew that consists of less than half of the people doing a DTM pit stop.

Maybe not as silly as it seems.

Erm... what's your point? You get run over worse when there's a pit wall? Maybe if they didn't have to run around all the time, the pit crew might very occasionally just get knocked down a bit.

I have a feeling that if NASCAR evolved even just a little bit, you'd end up with an Australian-style V8 Supercar series ... which is basically like NASCAR, but with a few extra turns in the other direction. :p

But the V8s are probably a bit like WTCC, so that shouldn't be too bad. Just get some European engineers there or test the cars on road courses and the Nascar beasts should begin to handle at least with a bit of decency.

Erm... what's your point? You get run over worse when there's a pit wall? Maybe if they didn't have to run around all the time, the pit crew might very occasionally just get knocked down a bit.

My point is you are criticising them for having to jump over the pit wall. However the fact that they start on the other side of the wall prevents incidents like the ones I posted.

Tone you probably aren't far off the mark. Nothing wrong with that though, V8's are awesome.
Vikirad, you don't need "european engineers" to get things to handle. However I think they fact they aren't on rails is the best thing about them. Watch the videos Elmo posted, they are rolling, oversteering, wheelspinning monsters. Would be amazing fun to drive.

My point is you are criticising them for having to jump over the pit wall. However the fact that they start on the other side of the wall prevents incidents like the ones I posted.

I'm not criticising them, I'm giving you my impressions.

But in essence what you are saying is that it's another of those 'home of the brave' things like full course yellows, football pads and baseball mitts? Is NASCAR afraid of being sued by pitcrew if any member of the pit team were ever to be knocked on his arse?

Fair enough, saying they look disorganised and like Benny Hill is criticism of professionals in my mind but thats cool.

I wasn't referring to litigation in any way. I think NASCAR are more worried about the potential for injury to pit crew members than potential lawsuits.

see, this is like comparing stock cars to completely modded cars. its pointless to compare a DTM pit crew against a NASCAR pit crew.

reason being....

DTM has 4 tire changers, 4 tire men, a gas rig (as Necx0 pointed out), and hydraulic jacks compared to NASCAR's pit crew that consists of less than half of the people doing a DTM pit stop.

obvious3.jpg

Le Tour de France - can you imagine it with bikes used 100 years ago? There would be definatly a competition, doesn't even have to be tooooo boring - but now compare it with the modern races. Same with Nascar. If I want to see ancient technology, I watch my DVD collection "1923-1939 24h hours of Le Mans".

And now, please don't point out that NASCAR cars are sooo modern. May be true, I never questioned it - but that wasn't the point. If you have the technology to make the race better, use it. (yes, changing hundreds of bolts on every tyre can make a race exciting, but see the point above). 4 funny clowns running around the car like being hunted by the teamowner - no way for me, you may enjoy it very well!