The DUB scene

Stretched tyres are a no no for me

And will someone PLEASE tell this kid that he's not a hardass simply because he drives a lowered VW wagon. Seriously. What the fuck is with kids these days thinking that they absolutely must look like a gangsta rapper any time a camera is present? My mom had a wagon back in the day, and she managed to be photographed without looking like a wanna-be gangsta little prick. I know it's not impossible to do...

What do you expect from a group of people driving fucked up VWs? Hell, even the blind laugh at them. They all look like a pack of retards.

I just don't understand the appeal.
I respect the people who do it though, because it makes the car look cooler (and IMO these are the only "tuners" who actually accomplish this)

but why? Is it even still drivable on those big wheels?
Why do the rims need to be deepdish?
Why does everything need to be "smoothed out"?

Can someone answer me this? And "because it looks cool" isn't an answer.

What do you expect from a group of people driving fucked up VWs? Hell, even the blind laugh at them. They all look like a pack of retards.

Let me make one point quite clear, You obviously don't know what your on about as they are not "fucked up VW's" at all. Some what your saying is then, I look like a retard driving my Corrado? I don't think so somehow, you'd be amazed of how many heads it turns and people coming up to and saying "nice car" etc.

I just don't understand the appeal.
I respect the people who do it though, because it makes the car look cooler (and IMO these are the only "tuners" who actually accomplish this)

Which "big wheels" are you on about mate, please post the pictures which you think aren't driveable please.

As for the rims, not all of them are deep dish rims, some in fact have no dish at all. The V-Dubbers who own these cars don't just go "Right I need some deep dish wheels, lowered, then smooth everything out". That isn't the case, they build there cars for themselves, nobody else.

Lastly, "Why does everything need to be somoothed out?"

Simply fact is it doesn't. I think it just gives a cleaner, and fresh look. At least they aren't adding things to their cars, like body-kits etc.

So, what everybody is saying is that without the wheels (including the stretched tyres)they are nice cars?...

So you like these then?

Smoothed/shaved Corrado and TT

Also, without deep dish wheels!

_MG_2620.jpg

Dscf3226.jpg

DSCF3251.jpg

The proper reason to have staggered wheels

eurp_0706_01_z1992_corrado_slcside_.jpg

Which "big wheels" are you on about mate, please post the pictures which you think aren't driveable please.

As for the rims, not all of them are deep dish rims, some in fact have no dish at all. The V-Dubbers who own these cars don't just go "Right I need some deep dish wheels, lowered, then smooth everything out". That isn't the case, they build there cars for themselves, nobody else.

Lastly, "Why does everything need to be somoothed out?"

Simply fact is it doesn't. I think it just gives a cleaner, and fresh look. At least they aren't adding things to their cars, like body-kits etc.

So, what everybody is saying is that without the wheels (including the stretched tyres)they are nice cars?...

I meant the wheels that weren't always bigger, just so close to the bodywork that the cars would be undrivable over any speed bump.

I get that the people do it for themselves, but why the smoothing out? I always thought it was handy that boots could open and stuff, but apparently some of these guys smooth it out to one clean surface. I just don't get it

I like nice wheels and rims, but the stretched tyres are weird an unnessacery to me

There's no reply regarding your question on aesthetic modifications if you don't want aesthetics mentioned in the answer.

I meant the wheels that weren't always bigger, just so close to the bodywork that the cars would be undrivable over any speed bump.

I get that the people do it for themselves, but why the smoothing out? I always thought it was handy that boots could open and stuff, but apparently some of these guys smooth it out to one clean surface. I just don't get it

I like nice wheels and rims, but the stretched tyres are weird an unnessacery to me

Like I said before in the thread, you have to remember here though is that most of these cars are show cars, which means they are NOT their daily ride. Sometimes they only slam them just for the shows. They can get them so low because they some of the cars have air-ride. Smoothing out the bumpers just gives the car a fresh/clean look. You'd me moaning more if we were adding things to our cars like bodykits, neons etc.

As some of you have said you like the cars but not the wheels, please can someone post some pictures of what you mean. Thanks ;)

There's no reply regarding your question on aesthetic modifications if you don't want aesthetics mentioned in the answer.

my question was merely : does modding your car in this way achieve anything else than a look. As in : do those tyres provide more grip, better traction, etc?

Does smoothing out the bonnet, etc help with aero?

some of our local dubs in BC

1409289153_6d8217c043_o.jpg

DOVDFC08.jpg

DSCN1783.jpg

WW07001.jpg

SRJARJ12.jpg

IMG_6457esp1.jpg

and my car :p

http://img222.imageshack.**/img222/7585/94387818vy1.jpg

^^

Absolutely :love: that 'rado. The Schmidt TH Lines look sweet on a Corrado. Have you got any more pictures of it?

Here's the only one I've got of it

black-cora.jpg

MK.Dub, have you ever seen this corrado before?

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/14/damn1.jpg

do those tyres provide more grip, better traction, etc?

Drifters tend to have a fondness for stretching rubber on rims. Stretching the tyre out like that puts the sidewall in tension, which theoretically reduces flex. This improves steering response.

Grip isn't exactly necessarily with drifting, so the grip loss coming from having your sidewall stretched out and running relatively narrow tyres isn't a concern for them.

That's in theory.

In reality, adding all that unsprung weight with massive wheels, fucking about with the geometry by dumping the car and running very low offset wheels (to get the dish), means any gain in response will be more than offset by the performance negatives they've done.

Does smoothing out the bonnet, etc help with aero?

Once again, in theory it should. People tape up their shutlines, shave handles, and remove side mirrors when going for V-Max runs to eke out another 1-2mph out of the car.

In reality, how many of these guys have access to a wind tunnel to fine-tune it all? :)

^

What do you mean by "brake boiler" wheels. They look mint :cool: