Buying a Camera Used?

P5138

Car(s)
2001 Impreza RS
For quite some time I've been looking into getting an SLR. It would be my first professional-grade camera. I've been using advanced point-and-shoots for a while, but I've gotten to the point that I'd like to make the move to something I have much more control over.

I've been pondering the purchase of a used camera, but I'm unsure if that's a good idea. Since it's my first DSLR, I was thinking it would be prudent to not break the bank, and to buy a new one later when I've gotten a little more proficient with it. Is this a good idea? Or should I wait and save a little bit and buy a new one right off? Any tips?

Also, I already have a camera in mind: the Canon 350D. Seeing all the reviews it seems very good for my needs as an introductory SLR, but is it worth it to get one new or to cut costs and get it for less than half the price used?

Thanks

possibly a good idea to get one cheap used, then save for a 40d or similar slightly higher up model, because once you start getting accessories etc you will realise it would be nice to have the better camera etc...

I'm in the same boat. I've just been keeping my eye on eBay and Amazon for a used D40 at a decent price.

Since I got my 400d i've been wishing i'd just got a 350d and a 50mm f/1.8 then bought more lenses,

half the money I spent on the base camera and twin lens kit could have gone towards buying a 40d about now...

I'd say: get a canon eos 400d/xti. It'll last you for a good long time. And unless you're some kind of photographic genious, the camera won't be the limiting factor in your photography for quite some time. AND the 400D is fan-f'ing-tastic value for money these days.

A lot of people think their photographs will automatically improve if they get a more expensive camera. While the trouth is that they get the same crap photo's they used to take, but now at a much higher price. People who've never owned a DSLR runs out and buys 40D's, 5D's and simmilar priced gear. It's idiotic.

Take into concideration that the depreciation on DSLR's is very low, so if you get a 400d/xti now and sell it in - say - 2 years time, you won't loose that much money (as long as you've taken care of your camera)

One thing to keep in mind is that the EOS 450D is right around the corner, priced just a bit above the 400D - but seems (on paper) like a fantastic camera. If you're serious about your photography - I'd get the 450D.

For someone going from a compact over to a DSLR, the 40D is overkill. Especially with the nicely spec'ed 450D coming out.

I bought a used D50 off of eBay. Works great (until I dropped it in Germany). Was a pretty good buy. Picked up a brand new lens at a brick & mortar store to go along with it.

Glass makes as much as a difference, if not more, as the body. Get a body you'll be happy with and decent glass to go along with it.

Last edited:
Take into concideration that the depreciation on DSLR's is very low, so if you get a 400d/xti now and sell it in - say - 2 years time, you won't loose that much money (as long as you've taken care of your camera)

Huh? I would've said the opposite. I bought a 20D body and 6 months later you could buy a brand new one for 20% less. Then factor in that new models are released on a regular basis and you have serious depreciation.

I've always shied away from used electronics, but at least with camera bodies you can check most of the funtions and even check the shutter count. I haven't bought a used DSLR, but I would if I had the cash (as a back-up body). I bought an EOS 3 35mm SLR used here in Japan. It was a good buy i think.

Take into concideration that the depreciation on DSLR's is very low

I'm sorry, but that's just utter bullshit :rolleyes: Consumer grade DSLR's are probably the second most depreciating items in photographic equipment these days (I think memory cards lose their value the most). Their expected life span (from the sellers point of view) is rather short and new models come out every year.

Can't remember for sure, but when I bought my first DSLR, the Nikon D70 in 2004, it's price dropped to about one third of the original when I sold it a few years later. My current camera D200 has lost about half of it's value compared to the purchase price little over a year ago. Hasn't hurt the usability though, and I'm gonna keep it as long as it works :)

I'm sorry, but that's just utter bullshit :rolleyes: Consumer grade DSLR's are probably the second most depreciating items in photographic equipment these days (I think memory cards lose their value the most). Their expected life span (from the sellers point of view) is rather short and new models come out every year.

Bullshit? The market here in norway is obviously a whole lot different than yours then, as I can buy a 400D/450D now and sell it in 2 years time without much of a loss. I'll probably have to knock about 200 USD off the price when selling it, but that's not much of a loss after having used it for 2 years.

Last edited:
Good glass depreciates little if at all, digital bodies depreciate terribly. The 18-month consumer replacement cycle kills resale value.

The only problem that I've found with buying cameras used is that you often don't get exactly what you want.

But anyway, ignore me and get back to your discussion! :p

Forget depreciation, just buy the camera you want now and keep it forever. I have a Fuji S2Pro, really old, but I have no need to upgrade. It cost me ?1500 new.

Work out what type of photos you want to take... wide angle for close up of cars for example. Cost up the lenses you want to buy and then buy the camera with what you have left to spend. There arn't many bad DSLRs, soyou wont go far wrong. But make sure the lenses you want are easily available and affordable and saleable for when y6ou want to upgrade. (nikon and canon are easiest). Don't just go for a lens which comes bundled with the camera.

Last edited:
I have to agree bodies depreciate. My Canon 20D is virtually worthless; I've looked to sell my stuff and basically I'm selling my lenses and tossing in the body for free.

Steve