Lens Flair

What is a red vs white game? It looks like a santa claus convention...

Its a spring football game. Its more of a practice than anything else. The team plays against its self. The Huskers colors are Red and White so one team is The Red Team and the other is The White Team.

I'm guessing this is...Nebraska?

Ya, GO BIG RED!

doigal- cool photo!
jmiller: looks like quite the experience- big football games are quite the experience.

Ya it was a good game as far as spring games go. It was the first time in something like 20 years since the spring game has been sold out at Nebraska. It also set an NCAA attendance record for a spring game. More than 80,000 people showed up. The weather was wonderful. Too bad the panoramic is only decent at small size, It has too many errors at larger sizes.

And now for my picture for the day. (I cant remember if I have posted this or not)
The Queen
2409677998_eb0d36ceac.jpg

Got my (well, our, since I bought it with my friend) scanner in the mail today, spent most of this evening scanning a little bit of this and that... This nice Porsche was shot with Nikon F601 using AF 50/1.4D (I think) and the film was Agfachrome CTX 100. Looks pretty decent, I think? :cool:

full
Any pp on that? Can we see the 1:1 scan, please? :)

Yay, 10 MPixel! :p The high DOF almost makes it look miniaturised. And that is an insane amount of grain... I was hoping it would perform better at ISO-400. Maybe you should apply some noise reduction in LightRoom, since you don't have a proper dark room to fiddle with. Here's an example i just took at ISO 400 and 1600, in raw and exported without any NR or sharpening. They're HUGE, though. 9 and 11 MB respectively, because I exported at 100 quality so JPEG artifacts wouldn't cause any further problems.

The grain level looks more like the noise at 1600. Oh, i love the way yours looks, far better than digital noise. :)

How is the focusing with it, btw? Does it have AF or is everything done manually? I don't think my eyesight is good enough (even with dioptre adjustment) to focus properly, especially with that shallow DOF. I look forward to seeing more, maybe next time with fresh film? ;)

Last edited:
And that is an insane amount of grain... I was hoping it would perform better at ISO-400. Maybe you should apply some noise reduction in LightRoom, since you don't have a proper dark room to fiddle with.

Well, it's all about the film and the rolls I've started with have been old, way past their expiration date. Just yesterday I scanned a roll of old color negative film, iso200, I think the expiration date was somewhere around the year 2002 (?) and I have no idea where it's been kept (film preserves better when kept in a cold dry place), so it was rather..."crunchy" :D Grainy as hell.

And as for the post processing, I'm now scanning with Vuescan (Minolta's own software is ooooold and a pain in the ass to use) and I save the scans as tiffs, then I run them through photoshop.

The grain level looks more like the noise at 1600. Oh, i love the way yours looks, far better than digital noise. :)

Film grain looks a lot more natural than noise, so you could say analog > digital ;)

How is the focusing with it, btw? Does it have AF or is everything done manually? I don't think my eyesight is good enough (even with dioptre adjustment) to focus properly, especially with that shallow DOF. I look forward to seeing more, maybe next time with fresh film? ;)

You mean focusing with the camera? Well the F601 has AF, so it's rather easy with it :) But it can do manual focus as well, it has the same kind of "digital rangefinder" that's found in Nikon DSLR's: there's this little green dot in the lower left corner in the viewfinder which lits up when the camera thinks the focus is in place. And being a film camera, the viewfinder is somewhat bigger than in DSLR's, so it's really not that difficult to focus manually even without the green dot.

On the other hand, the Nikon FE I have is manual focus only, but it has a "Split-Image rangefinder / Microprism system" focusing screen, so it's actually very easy to see the focus from the viewfinder.

Thst split image thing sounds cool. What does it look like looking through it?

I think it kinda looks like this:

220350.jpg

The image is split in half in the center of the viewfinder, and when the halves are correctly aligned, the image is in focus (well, for the part you're aiming at). Also, the narrow ring around the split center is the microprism area, if the image is in focus, this area is clear (image looks ok), but when it's out of focus, it's like watching the image through a triangular blur.

Oh, like in the spy movies when they show someone taking pics? I thought that was just special effects to make it look more interesting. Can you hook up your digital one to the viewfinder? I'd like to see that in action! :D

^ Bubo Bubo - they always look so pissed off, and so does yours Jay. ...
I am not a fan of birds but I really like Owls for some strange reason.

the mighty V200, the most beautiful locomotive in the world, ever! And the Ferkeltaxi!

Great picture!

dang- You know your trains!

I'm a sucker for technical museums and Berlin definitely has an awesome one.

lben, which museum is that?
(Going to Berlin in the Summer and we're trying to work out where to go and what to see...)

It looks suspiciously much like the Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin, love it, I try to go there every time i visit Berlin. I especially like the Spectrum part of it, all kinds of do-it-yourself physics and science thingies.

yup- that's it. Amazing museum- though not as many things in English as I would have thought (luckily my German pulled through for the basics). Though as technical museums go I'd say my favorite one was Vienna- they had an absolutely amazing car exhibition when I was last there in January.