[09x01] April 10th, 2006

the part i didnt like... again... was when they ask celebs which show they like more- I WANT TOM FORD FIRED from topgear magazine- such childish and unprofessional questions

I bet the director makes them ask.

About the Damon Hill club thing:

From fifthgear.five.tv

It could be you

When Robert Palmer's email to Fifth Gear arrived in the office, claiming he was a lottery winner who wanted help choosing his first supercar, we all got rather excited. A couple of phone calls later established that this former motor mechanic is just about the nicest, most normal rich person you're ever going to meet, and advising him was going to be an absolute pleasure (and yes, we did see the cheque, and yes, it did have a lot of 0's, and yes, it was very cool, and no, he didn't write us into his will, bah).
To get the story ready for the first show meant speed was of the essence, and frankly even we can't get our hands on a selection of Lambos, Ferraris and Astons at late notice. However, the splendid chaps at www.p1international.com were happy to help and opened their doors to what has to be Britain's most mouth-watering selection of supercars.
Damon Hill's club was the first supercar club in the UK, and currently has about 50 delicious motors available to be experienced by its 250 members. There's a branch in Surrey, with another opening in Cheshire in September. You have to be at least 25, and joining costs ?2,500. You then pay an annual fee, either ?11,750 for 'Silverstone' membership, or ?13,750 for 'Monaco' membership. Not cheap, but remember you're neatly sidestepping depreciation, servicing and insurance.
Monaco membership comes with 1000 points (Silverstone comes with 750) to be used up on whatever car you want. A Murcielago used for a long Summer weekend will cost 180 points. A Porsche Cayman used for a couple of days during a winter week will cost 4 points. With cars like the new 911 Turbo and Ferrari 599 due to join the fleet this year, you're assured of always having the latest and greatest at your disposal. And it's certainly easier than winning the lottery.

Downloadong the ep. now. Can't wait

Oh my God, I love this club thing and it's almost affordable. You'd think it'd be a rip off like a good weekend with a proper car would take away half of your annual points, but it doesn't! That's awesome...

Smooth start to the new season. Did not have the big WOW factor but the hour went by without me noticing it at all.

I might be wrong but I don't remember seeing the Veyron in the montage of the series. Perhaps they still couldn't get hold of it or decided that it was old news by now. I would have loved to see Tiff push the Veyron to its limits.

I've never really liked that Fifth Gear but hey, I really enjoyed that episode!

The XK is gorgeous (coup? looks better than cabriolet) and has a sweet sound to it. Man, those South African roads look bloody magical.

The shootout was good too, surprising that VBH said the old MX5 was the one she preffered but I guess she had more fun without electronics kicking in... and its roof didn't fly off (HA!)

The lottery winner, well, the only cool car he had bought was that Brabus roadster and I also like the fact that he won't be looking for a flashy red F430 but a more subdued silver/grey.

Oh, that Brera Spider at the Geneva show.... teh hawtness!!!

Most suprisingly however, was that I actually enjoyed boring Jon Bentley's segment! Looks like a good rental scheme.

Best Fifth Gear EVER!!! :)

Really enjoyed it all, looks like they've learned a lesson from the last series and are now using the hour to it's fullest potential and not trying to fill it with crappy studio segments. The cinematography on the XK section was beautiful also - looks like it's all going well! :)

btw Viper, I'm pretty sure there was a Murc and a Gallardo.

It's so damn wrong that some guy gets to choose which supercar he wants, I'm so jealous! The episode was excellent, I didn't skip single frame, that's something I do only with Top Gear.

Running on a wet track is quite useless unless you want to test different tyres or electronics.

Overheat said:
Really enjoyed it all, looks like they've learned a lesson from the last series and are now using the hour to it's fullest potential and not trying to fill it with crappy studio segments.

You know, you are right there wasn't any roundtable studio segments. I didn't even miss it. And they didn't stop to enter the lap times. We'll see if it stays that way.

Was much better then 5th Gears of old, but still not as good as Top Gear, entertainment wise I mean.

In my opinion Top Gear is getting less and less of a relavent car show, doing informative reviews that people would actually value, whilst 5th Gear is doing more indepth reviews of cars.

Top Gear is still my favourite, for the entertaining segments they do and the people on the show, but I really enjoyed this first episode of 5th Gear and I hope the rest of the season is as strong. From the list of episodes looks like they have some really good stuff coming up.

Looking forward to "the Maybach experience", I have heard about it from people who have been, but have always wanted to see it for myself. :p

(Side note: Hooray for my evil post count! :lol: )

Was it just me or does the cinematography seem more TopGear-esque? If you look closely, you can see that in this episode, the corners of the screen fade to black, much as Top Gear does. Did Fifth Gear do that in previous seasons? Also, when they focus on the pressure gauge (I don't remember which segment), it reminded me of what TG does occasionally by the side of the road.
Althogether a more visually pleasing episode that FG has been in the past.

manniac said:
Ianspeed said:
Probably not a bad idea, but who want's to be seen in a Scion xB??
i think it's alright if you are a postman :p

Paint it brown and it's a UPS truck.

Oh... So.... Personaly, this episode was realy very very poor :oops:
Just boring, Geneva report could be fine, but the interview with Button was catastrophical (and old, because Vicky did this with Schumi).

And I hate, that some person can buy my dream car :lol:
OMG.... when I saw my dreamed Murcielago, between a lot of supersports.. Sorry, but the Bull rox! I love aston, F430 could be a better car, but Murcielago is my love :roll:

Wow. Quite a big step in the right direction. The filmography is excellent. Not as crazy as Top Gear, but just enough post-work to look professional. No blabbering about (or so). Very nice. The music still needs improvement, though. It often just doesn't flow with the images ...
All segments were ok, really. I really liked the E-Type part and gorgeous "garage". The XK sounded as dull to drive as it looks, a shame for Jag.

Oh yeah ... only negative point that I'd love to see corrected ...
STOP THE DAMN PHONE FROM RINGING WHILE YOU'RE RECORDING

Feels good to have new shows to watch. :)

Another note for Fifth Gear (Jason) and a lot of others:

THERE IS NO CAR BEING PRODUCED CURRENTLY CALLED THE FORD GT40... IT'S JUST THE FORD GT.

It's like calling the new XK the Jaguar E-Type just because it takes styling cues off the old E-Type... a bit of an exageration, but Ford would have you believe the the GT only takes styling cues from the old car.