[09x01] April 10th, 2006

whizz said:
Oh... So.... Personaly, this episode was realy very very poor :oops:
Just boring, Geneva report could be fine, but the interview with Button was catastrophical (and old, because Vicky did this with Schumi).

And I hate, that some person can buy my dream car :lol:
OMG.... when I saw my dreamed Murcielago, between a lot of supersports.. Sorry, but the Bull rox! I love aston, F430 could be a better car, but Murcielago is my love :roll:
I have to agree with this. I found this ep to be very boring and forgettable. I had completly forgotten about the XK segment until I read this thread. Did the Geneva report actually include anything of real substance?? And the whole Top Gear or Fifth Gear thing ..... :sleeping:

I didn't hate the show, it was nice to see an auto show back on but it was just a meh episode for me.

Oh well................

Explorerman.

I wasn't really bowled over by the Jaguar XK review and like TomCat, the Z06 made me all giddy and such.

Overall, it was a pretty good show. I finally think they know how to use up their 1-hour segment a lot better. Jon Bentley's segment was interesting and a change in pace. I liked Tom Ford's Geneva Motorshow segment, the MX-5s with Vicki, and I especially liked Jason's lottery winner and future supercar driver. Makes me wish I won the lottery. Hell, I'd be happy to just sit in a Ferrari.

Nice episode. I like the more TG-like camerawork and production. I didn't skip mr. Bentleys segment - it was a bit interesting.

I liked the slow motion of the Tiff powerslide in the dust. Yeah, that SA coast does look good.

Oh, and the F430. I want one it that color. But without that big yellow sticker on the side. Like "look at this, it's a ferrari". Really? There is already a badge in the rear and on the hood. Doesn't go well with the subtle gray paintjob. No need to attract people to key it, or having a crowd around it on parking lots with flashy colors and stickers.

The beautiful Aston doesn't come with a gaudy sticker like that. But not a racing machine like the Ferrari either.

I have to make a confession: I actually really like Jon Bentley now.

He's just so queer and he has to over-enunciate every word he speaks... and he's hilarious running about town. Remember when he was stealing license plates from some SL and he was trying to act all covert? Hilarious...

Also, did anyone notice Bentley plugging Damon Hill's car club? When he was talking about the car rental scheme, he said with this you could have a Golf for the week and with the money you save you can join a 'supercar club' and have a Ferrari for the weekend.

Why a Ferrari??? I guess I'm a Porsche loyal. 997 Carrera 4S would be sweet :thumbsup:

As usual, entertaining episode.

i actually didn't half mind this episode... one of the better fifth gears i've seen. normally i find there are segments that i just want to fast forward through, but always decide against it just incase i miss something. but not this one.

the new 911 turbo.. oh jebus that looked sensational!

the this vs that bit with button was a bit lame, especially then asked whether he rathered top gear or fifth gear... it was so obviously edited that it loses all credibility. if he didn't say "fifth gear" outright, if i would have edited out the entire question.

but still in all, a good sign of things to come this series! :thumbsup:

I wonder why they didn't bring a DB9 instead. I would've picked the DB9 over the F430 any time. It's sophisticated and unlike the F430, it isn't ostentatious, poumpous, or brash. Besides, the DB9 looks several times better than the Vantage.

But I'm dreaming once again.... Dreaming a dream that might never come true...

zeoniks said:
I wonder why they didn't bring a DB9 instead. I would've picked the DB9 over the F430 any time. It's sophisticated and unlike the F430, it isn't ostentatious, poumpous, or brash. Besides, the DB9 looks several times better than the Vantage.

But I'm dreaming once again.... Dreaming a dream that might never come true...
My toughts exactly. If I was to choose between the cars in the show, I would also choose the Ferrari, BUT I would think about this A LOT if the Aston was a DB9 or a Vanquish.

Mischief007, I like the 997 too. Looks good. Now a Turbo would be nice. Maybe have RUF breathe on it :)

And I like their idea of a basic racing machine like the GT3. The 4S, well, it's like a Turbo with out the turbo, right? Must be an awesome rally car.

But the sound of the F430, with the engine in the right place. Well, I think I would prefer that.

And then studded tires on a 4x4 997 for driving in the snow :p

Shawn_230: Yeah, Bentley was cool in that segment. For once, the thing he had to talk about wasn't super lame. I would love to be in a super car club like that. But it would be too expensive in Denmark with the psycho taxes on cars.

UPDATE: By the way, the lottery winner had probably already made up his mind, but isn't the AMV8 available with an auto transmission with paddles, like the Ferrari?

What was that LAmbo in the show? does any 1 has any info on it? it looks :shock:

Well, they probably didn't bring a DB9 over the Vantage because the DB9 costs $50,000 more (Vantage $118K, DB9 about $170K) I do like the proportions of the DB9 better, but that V-12 costs a LOT more than the Baby V-8.

Also, with the Lambo's, he said "this is the NEW GALLARDO" not "this is the MURCHIELAGO."

While both cars were there, the one they walked up to, sat in, and talked about was the Gallardo. (you can tell, because the Murch has the wider-triangle headlights). I would guess since his price range was about 100,000? ($140,000 give or take) both of these would have been out of his price range. Going 20K above or a Ferrari is one thing, but going over 50K or more for just the Gallardo is another.

I loved the groan Bentley let out when he said "this one is named 'Cornelious'...mmmm."

Tom? Hilarious as usual. I love his personality. (my 2 favorite bits of all time from him were his new euro-Civic review when he walked through the back seat, and the BMW6 where he threw himself on the hood).

The new Jag: BOOOOORING front styling. The back? Love it. I LOOOOVE that it's a hatchback. The interior is great in the grey/black sceme, but for the love of god...why did they throw on a Ford Taurus front end?

As for the new Lambo at the auto show, it's basically an upgraded Murch...not a new model, just a new model year. Since a recently upgraded Gallardo now offers almost the same performance for a lot less money (520hp 5.0L V-10), this new LP640 now has a 6.5L V-12 with 632HP, rather than the 572 of last year. They fiddled with the rear end to make it more menacing. I don't know if the old one was like this, but on the new one, one of the side vents is larger than the other side, because it needs to be large for an oil cooler. Interesting, no?

Whlie they didn't need to do a whole shootout segment about it, i enjoyed hearing how the all-new MX-5 is compared to the 1st gen.

The thing that has happened, though, with the dissolving of the studio segments, it feels like a Top Gear "Best Of Show." As awful and boring as they were, they really helped make the show feel like they worked together on it, save Tom Ford and John Bentley's segments. Now, though, it just feels like a collection of short films that were all completed independant of each other, which...is an accurate representationbut still... I like that many Top Gear segments use more than 1 member of the presenting team. Makes it feel more like the cast doesn't mind being around one another.

~nj?

This ep is pretty good. I just don't like the look of the new XK, it looks too much like a Taurus from the front. And the didn't do anything to increase the power of the engine. They could've just take the easy way out and increase the engine to 4.5 or even 4.7L, that would give it a few extra hp to compete in this segment. The Miata shootout was cool. I don't care if it's raining or not, it just looks so fun driving those around the track. I think that the 1st gen Miata's time would've been closer when that car was new, all those miles on the engine probably took away some hp. The rich guy choosing a car segment was alright, cuz if I won the lottery I would have drastically different choice of cars. But from the cars he can choose from, I don't see why he didn't choose the DB9? It's there in the garage, the DB9 is eaqually gorgeous as the Vantage, it has a auto gearbox, so he doesn't have to use clutch at all. It's 70-80hp more powerful, and it's the same price as the F430. I probably would've chosen that instead. The autoshow coverage was fine, didn't like many of the cars except for the Ferrari, the Lambo and the Mini Cooper GP. Look forward to more 5th Gear tho, until TG comes back that is. :lol:

NecroJoe said:
Well, they probably didn't bring a DB9 over the Vantage because the DB9 costs $50,000 more (Vantage $118K, DB9 about $170K) I do like the proportions of the DB9 better, but that V-12 costs a LOT more than the Baby V-8.

Not quite. According to Jason, the Vantage costs $80K.
And according to www.channel4.com:
Ferrari F430: 118,500
Aston Martin DB9: 106,000
Aston Martin V8 Vantage: 79,000
Aston Martin Vanquish S: 174,000
So, the DB9 costs a lot more than the V8 Vantage, but it?s cheaper :lol: than the F430.

Redliner said:
NecroJoe said:

Not quite. According to Jason, the Vantage costs $80K.
And according to www.channel4.com:
Ferrari F430: 118,500
Aston Martin DB9: 106,000
Aston Martin V8 Vantage: 79,000
Aston Martin Vanquish S: 174,000
So, the DB9 costs a lot more than the V8 Vantage, but it?s cheaper :lol: than the F430.

Yeah I found that strange that they didn't include the DB9. I figured it was because it was over the specified budget, but then he goes and chooses a car that is way over his budget. You'd think he would choose the DB9 as the Vantage is well under his max amount, the 430 is way over and the DB9 sits so perfectly just over.

Just got around to watching the show, I thought it was pretty good. My favourite shot has to be the one of Jason driving the F430 at the very end, sliding round the corner, and then flames coming from the exhaust... :shock:

Great episode. I loved it.

Cheers,
Kermee

flamingice said:
Just got around to watching the show, I thought it was pretty good. My favourite shot has to be the one of Jason driving the F430 at the very end, sliding round the corner, and then flames coming from the exhaust... :shock:

Yeah. Where was more of that please. I'd watch that for an hour! Mmmm...

People who can actually drive. :mrgreen:

XK segment used many different camera angles which was good. I would compare F430 with DB9....seems the Lottery winner did not do many research. As most of us read many car magazines, webpages and videos....we should have an idea what kinds of supercar is your cup of tea. At least you can see how the supercars perform in TG and FG. Short test drive may not be enough. Why don't Mr. Palmer Join Damon Hill's P1 car club first. :lol: If you were that guy, will you write an email to FG? I will an email to JC...may be :roll: