[13x03] July 5th, 2009

[13x03] July 5th, 2009

• Total voters
7/10.

I thought the cheap car challenge had a brilliant ending.

Ken Block's segment was a little too overproduced, even for Top Gear.

Still a entertaining show. Seemed to fly by faster than normal.

It was, er, average I guess. The SL Black review was okay, nothing more and nothing less. A little bit of humour in it but not my favourite car review ever from TG, but still excellent cinematography as per usual. The news was quite good, not as funny as previous weeks in my opinion, but they kind of kept on track so I suppose that was a good thing. The Ken Block segment was yet again alright, however I felt it was lacking something compared to his Gymkhana videos on the internet it just lacked something. SIARPC was, probably my highlight of the show. When I heard it was Michael this week I certainly was looking forward to it, unlike most people I do find him funny, so it was a joy to see him on TG. The small cars segment first half was okay but yet again nothing special a couple of funny elements. However, the second half was funny and good. Thoroughly enjoyed the second half.

So in general just above average, the SIARPC and the second part of the small car challenge, oh and the Car Sauna thing which was excellent. So...

8/10

Last edited:
Skoda? Seriously, a Skoda? I had a hard time taking them seriously after that

Care to explain why?
You do realize that what Clarkson said is perfectly true, that they are basically just VWs underneath without the established badge? They are basically just what VW itself used to be, before it tried to push itself upmarket and made its cars stupidly expensive, which is affordable, practical and perfectly fine cars for 'the people'... in other words, a perfect choice for such a challenge.

It's pretty much work for a short scene then, such as calling up at least 30+ cars from Fiat, clearing the WHOLE street so that even all the cars parked at the road side are 500s, and even making some of them drive here and there. Much logistics work there, if you're thinking practically :p

Pretty great PR for Fiat though, when you think that their conclusion basically was "we brought 3 cheap cars we liked, but you can forget about them, because this is what you want!". So yeah, I guess Fiat gladly gave them the cars.

Why not the Fiat 500 is actually a perfectly sensible car. Smal, cheap, hadles well, looks great and Fiat has in recent years improved it's build quality...

Not to say that this is Top Gearishly..too sensible advice =)

But of course, being from California, any story in which someone actually, and rightly, felt shame for being in the fast lane and not going fast enough is one that will touch my heart. :mrgreen: No one here understands this.

I have not driven in Southern California for a few years and in Northern California for about a decade, but last time I did, it was one of the few places where I saw "German Lane Courtesy" (the left lane is for passing only) enforced.

Mind you, folks in the other lanes drove at whatever the heck speed they wished so on a four lane highway you would see traffic flowing (going from left to right) at "empty/passing", 60mph, 35mph, 55mph. But that left lane was always open to pass the "flotsam and jetsam".

Dissapointing episode, in my opinion.

I never liked Michael McIntyre and I hate him now. But I'm most dissapointed because I was hoping for a full review of the MiTo. I'd have rather seen that than the Merc review.

shitting hell.... he's only 19/20 years old

footballers get paid way too much...its not even a proper sport like swimming. even mediocre footy players get rediculous wages. id bet half the premier league dont give a rats about playing the game, theyre just there for the money

Wiki puts him as an "English" footballer lol. Civic British maybe, but he's certinly not English.

Overall a very good show once again. The SL review was OK, SIARPC was something not so OK, Block segment was simply excellent! The cheap car challenges were actually quite enjoyable, especially the latter one. An average 8/10.

Getting real sick of Mercedes and Lamborghini reviews, especially when I already know it's a shit car. There's too many cars that need reviewed before another f-ing AMG or Gallardo, like the 370z, new MX-5 and Mazdaspeed 3, the new Mustang, the new Camaro, etc.

Forgive me for not knowing much about Ken Block (honestly I only knew him cause he's featured in Dirt 2), but I didn't really see the purpose of the segment with him and James. I mean yes, it was pretty cool. But...I dunno, it just didn't seem right to me.

Overall I gave the episode 7/10

Getting real sick of Mercedes and Lamborghini reviews, especially when I already know it's a shit car. There's too many cars that need reviewed before another f-ing AMG or Gallardo, like the 370z, new MX-5 and Mazdaspeed 3, the new Mustang, the new Camaro, etc.

Out of those options I would think they would only review the 370z, and maybe the Mazda3. I don't think that the new Camaro nor the Mustang will be that relevant to them.

Last edited:
shitting hell.... he's only 19/20 years old

footballers get paid way too much...its not even a proper sport like swimming. even mediocre footy players get rediculous wages. id bet half the premier league dont give a rats about playing the game, theyre just there for the money

As i have been making this argument for years i will say this, pro athletes are paid based on the way they can, or have the potential to, draw the fans into the seats. we often complain that footballers, american rules football, baseball players ect... are paid to much, but, the bottom line is, we decide how much they are worth by going there to watch them and buying a shirt or jersey with thier name on it. do you see what im trying to say?

Forgive me for not knowing much about Ken Block (honestly I only knew him cause he's featured in Dirt 2), but I didn't really see the purpose of the segment with him and James. I mean yes, it was pretty cool. But...I dunno, it just didn't seem right to me.

Overall I gave the episode 7/10

Out of those options I would think they would only review the 370z, and maybe the Mazda3. I don't think that the new Camaro nor the Mustang will be that relevant to them.

Dude, as far as the Block film, i think that it being "pretty cool" was the whole point and nothing else. as far as im concerned, i was just nice to see an American rally guy on the show.

as far as the mustang/camero thing, i think you are very wrong. as far as im concerned the new camero is as ugly as a rotting dead cow on the side of the road in the desert during the summer, but, yes its relevent to them. as far as the new mustang, if you havnt watched in the past, they have done alot with the mustang, even richard owns 1. you should go back and watch some older epp's

I usually read the majority of the posts in this thread, but as I'm traveling, I don't have time.

95% A 9.5/10

I really enjoyed this episode, it was well done, the news was better (even if it did use a Jay Leno idea). This just came together really well, was easy to watch, and left me with the familiar "I got my fix of Top Gear this week" feeling.

as far as the mustang/camero thing, i think you are very wrong. as far as im concerned the new camero is as ugly as a rotting dead cow on the side of the road in the desert during the summer, but, yes its relevent to them. as far as the new mustang, if you havnt watched in the past, they have done alot with the mustang, even richard owns 1. you should go back and watch some older epp's

And Jeremy wrote in a review that the only reason he doesn't buy a new Mustang is because his wife won't let him...

Nice ep but this is second ep of this season that for whatever reason only works on the 360 up till halfway through the news and then video cuts out. Works fine with media player classic somehow.....

SL Black review - a little more interesting than Jezza's usual supercar reviews. I liked the bit with the rocks.

News - ok but not spectacular. Men - never buy your wife/gf items with a plug or items of apparel. Never buy shoes, handbags, clothing (with the possible exception of sweaters because it hard to screw that up). We have a hard enough time picking out our own stuff - you certainly aren't going to get it right.

Car sauna thing - great. This is just the sort of top drawer cocking about I've come to rely on from Top Gear. +10 :lol:

Small cars part one - slightly dull. Nothing to write home about.

SIARPC - Ok, I make it a point to keep as much in touch with British popular culture as possible, but I'm sorry to say, he was sooooooo ass-clenchingly NOT funny it was embarrassing. I had to fast forward a bit. Please don't ship him over here. His lap was good to watch, though.

The Ken Block bit was beautifully filmed, but somehow..... I dunno... soulless.

Cheap cars part two was good. Loved the doggies.

I'm going with 8/10 overall.

I gave this a 9.

For me it was perhaps the best ep this series so far, which seems to differ from other folk here, but hey-ho.

Missed the start of the Black review, but news was better, Sauna car was excellently silly (I bet someone complains) and the small cars were a hoot. I want a St. Bernard now, big slobbery sod that it is.

I didn't mind the SIARPC - we watch his show that's on at the moment and I found him funny, but his silly voices do get annoying after a while.

I'd never heard of Block before even though I have the internets, but anyway, it was a great segment as I dont think I blinked. James' face over the jump was priceless!

A picture tells more than a thousand words ;)

BRSqNwSly.jpg

How tall is Ken Block anyway? He is very nearly too tall for that racing seat. I didn't notice if he was ever standing next to James, who is certainly not short.