[16x00] December 26th, 2010 [Middle East Special]

[16x00] December 26th, 2010 [Middle East Special]

• Total voters
I just had a feeling from the first moment they talked about "Baby Jesus" that there was going to be a baby stig! (which is like jesus to us)

Still a great journey and an awesome episode, 9 !

There's a reason why I don't normally give TG 10/10 ... it's because I wanted to save this score for something special. Such as this episode. It was very poignant in parts, and it was very educational in others. The Middle East really is a lovely place filled with great people, but those of us in the West often forget this as the (most often US-based) media sees fit to push a particular agenda. But I digress.

Back to to the episode. There were some true laugh out loud moments (such as the Nintendo DS and JC at the Sea of Gallilee), as well as some real drama (such as James' head ... ouch!) and Baby Stig - whilst perhaps a little predictable - was delivered perfectly. The fact that this episode should generate an entire tabloid's worth of hand-wringing from professional complainers is icing on a perfect cake. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's next to impossible to buy a Fiat Barchetta in Australia. :(

Y'know, if Top Gear just made 3 or 4 specials like this per year instead of churning out 14 episodes of varying quality, I would be a very happy fan.

Last edited:
I think it was a great episode. No doubt that the region is a troubled place but I was happy to see that they went for it. Couldn't imagine this trip would've been possible a few years back.
Of course the baby Stig was obvious. He's the fourth presenter after all.

Classic Top Gear special. It's a travel program with great cinematography, interesting presenters and of course, cars.

As a loyal fan I'm about to switch right off.
Jezza's need to offend christians will cost him viewers galore.
Oh, gays are his favorite, jews he doesn't touch like ALL the media but christians are fair game.
nothing "tongue in cheek" about this rubbish episode

I couldn't wait for this episode to be over... didn't find much to like about it.

I don't give a toss about anything religious, didn't even get half of the Biblical references... just thought it to be drawn out, boring and predictable. I've grown to expect a certain amount of scripted-ness from Top Gear, but this was too over the top for me in that regard.

Had a one or two laughs I admit, but then again it was over an hour long and I'm easily amused.

I thought this episode was great, and as a Christian, was in no way offended by Jeremy's jokes or the birth of the stig. They were in no way claiming that the Stig was Jesus so I do not see what there is to be offended about, there is far worse everyday to get offended at than that.

so, the point of this episode was to introduce the new stig??!!! dissapointed in it
but overall i quite liked the episode, but still some scripted scenes i didnt like for example driving of the airplane and so on.

One of the best specials ever done, I loved the waterfall underground bar, the 98 road and the beautiful scenery. Didn't like the desert crossing, it was boring and I'm amazed how come the producers let James got hurt like that, it was obvious he was going to the ground standing like that. The ending was great, as soon as the guys arrived at the birthplace I thought "wouldn't it be cool to have baby Stig in Jesus place?" and then there he was. And the mouse "Told you".

drawn out, boring and predictable.

Pretty much that. Perhaps not quite so bleak, as I did find the soundtrack and scenery worth watching.

Though in all honesty you can't really go wrong with the Middle Eastern scenery and Lawrence Of Arabia / The Insider soundtrack and just Duduk music in general. It's well proven by the aforementioned movies and really, that combo is basically the modern Western media stereotype for any situation where you want places to appear "really foreign" or dangerous. It covers everything from the former Soviet Bloc countries via the Middle Eastern countries to Africa. Even though it's a wonderful instrument and usually gives me just the right vibe, I'm probably starting to tire of it a bit, after hearing a Duduk start to play every time there's a Middle Eastern scene or person on screen.

Anyway, apart from perhaps the roadster chariot racing bit, the story contained pretty much no surprising elements at all. In fact I'm starting to forget what was there already. So... forgettable episode.

I absolutely did feel sick for James when he was downed by that towing line. Of course with the benefit of hindsight you shouldn't ever pull shit like that. It's genuinely life-threatening and even in theory was a flawed plan.

Anyone who after a decade of TG gets offended by any of the jokes, spoken or in any other shape or form, should just H&S TFU. There are a lot of worse things on tv to get worked up about.

Though I do need to start un-brainwashing myself now about the danger of being anywhere in the Middle East...

What a fantastic episode! Personally falls behind Bolivia, Botswana and Vietnam for me, but is ahead of the Polar challenge and is definitely one of the all time greats.

So many quotable moments too! "We three kings of Orient are, one in a Vauxhall, two in sports cars..." "It's a case of many are callen, but few are chosen." Buying the baby Jeezus (as Clarkson pronounces it) a Nintendo DS. Clarkson demonstrating the Iraqi way to go round a corner. Hammond's tyre deciding not to have air in it anymore. The underground cafe with a waterfall running through it. Clarkson's miracle with the two fish. "Put the handbrake on!" Poor Hammond's tract. And, of course, "Have you ever watched a television programme called The News?"

The most poignant moment for me was, naturally, James's accident. Our collective first reaction was a resounding "Ooof." It was a very solemn feeling to see just the two cars continue across the desert, and made me think about the future of Top Gear if one presenter did ever decide to leave, or if a more unspeakable mishap were to occur.

And as to all the so-called religious insensitivity, my deeply Anglican 82 year old Grandma joined us for boxing day dinner, and then for Top Gear. She was laughing all the way through.

Gets a 9/10 as I didn't care much for the ending as it felt tacked on, but it was necessary (and I loved the mouse gag) and it was a bit slow to start. Otherwise: cracking.

This episode is AWESOME!
Everything was perfect! This is the true essence of new Top Gear, utterly brilliant!
For the 2nd or 3rd time ever, I score this 10/10 !

What a fantastic episode! Personally falls behind Bolivia, Botswana and Vietnam for me, but is ahead of the Polar challenge and is definitely one of the all time greats.

So many quotable moments too! "We three kings of Orient are, one in a Vauxhall, two in sports cars..." "It's a case of many are callen, but few are chosen." Buying the baby Jeezus (as Clarkson pronounces it) a Nintendo DS. Clarkson demonstrating the Iraqi way to go round a corner. Hammond's tyre deciding not to have air in it anymore. The underground cafe with a waterfall running through it. Clarkson's miracle with the two fish. "Put the handbrake on!" Poor Hammond's tract. And, of course, "Have you ever watched a television programme called The News?"

The most poignant moment for me was, naturally, James's accident. Our collective first reaction was a resounding "Ooof." It was a very solemn feeling to see just the two cars continue across the desert, and made me think about the future of Top Gear if one presenter did ever decide to leave, or if a more unspeakable mishap were to occur.

And as to all the so-called religious insensitivity, my deeply Anglican 82 year old Grandma joined us for boxing day dinner, and then for Top Gear. She was laughing all the way through.

Gets a 9/10 as I didn't care much for the ending as it felt tacked on, but it was necessary (and I loved the mouse gag) and it was a bit slow to start. Otherwise: cracking.
Well is it just me? The chase car was an Opel not a Vauxhall Astra convertible of three/four generations ago.

I thought this episode was great, and as a Christian, was in no way offended by Jeremy's jokes or the birth of the stig. They were in no way claiming that the Stig was Jesus so I do not see what there is to be offended about, there is far worse everyday to get offended at than that.
Agreed.

so, the point of this episode was to introduce the new stig??!!!
Nope. They'd got the road trip planned before The Stig business kicked off. Sure, they they used it as an excuse to have a baby Stiglet, but it wasn't the original reason.

As a loyal fan I'm about to switch right off.
Jezza's need to offend christians will cost him viewers galore.
Oh, gays are his favorite, jews he doesn't touch like ALL the media but christians are fair game.
nothing "tongue in cheek" about this rubbish episode

I agree that he could have made fun of jews as well.
Anyone living their life based on old fairytales (ie religious people) should be made fun of.

I found it strangely unmoving for what should have been an epic journey. A little repetitive maybe? As always amazing visuals, but this time not supported by a memorable adventure. Soundtrack I also thought was just solid, not amazing :|.
kurthest said:
Anyone living their life based on old fairytales (ie religious people) should be made fun of.
I wouldn't go that far. A majority of those who claim to be Christian from this thread (self included) were not offended. I was more worried about why they suddenly decided to compare cars and decide whos was best...

8/10.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far. A majority of those who claim to be Christian from this thread (self included) were not offended.

Well thats a good thing then!
You dont have to be offended just because people make fun of your beliefs.
I guess the people getting offended are the more "fanatic" ones, the ones who are very eager to "help you on your way to Jesus (Mexico?)" :)

You dont have to be offended just because people make fun of your beliefs.
Agreed sir.

Back to the topic, anyone notice a distinct lack of bickering/in your face competitiveness from this episode, compared with the other specials or even last weeks show? I know it never really called for any, but they've been to scary places before and still had time to needle each other. Just an observation :D.

Last edited:
I loved the episode :) I just felt bad for James May which had a crappy gearbox (and heart himself.)