Are prices at wrecking yards negotiable?

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
As the title says, are they?

There is a local wrecking yard that has an '84 El Camino with near mint frame rails, but they want $350 for the pair, that seems a bit steep to me, I was thinking more like $250-$275 for the pair. Am I way off base here?

Granted this is the only yard with an Elco within 200kms, but I don't feel like getting ripped off because of that fact.

yah, I just didn't want to feel like a jerk by naming a significantly lower price. I guess I just never know how to ask. :p

Yes and no.

If the salvage yard knows what it has then they will be firm.

If they just see it as another worn but functional part then you could low-ball them. Tell them you only have $175 cash from your last paycheck. This means you need to bring $175 in cash with you and only that amount--expect to use all that money or leave. If you open your wallet and pull out "all" your cash and it just so happens to be $175 they are likely to take it. The worse thing that would happen is you walk out and try again some other time. I've done this with my Camaro before, had a good deal of success doing it. Make sure $15 of it are singles, makes it look like you've saved a long time for it. :lol: You could also use terminology that insinuates that the part is old and worn. "How much for those old frame rails and [some other random part] from that 80's [whatever color] El Camino?" Always ask for prices on another part as well to show them that you aren't ONLY there for that one part--that being the frame rails. If they know that's all you want they will rape you.

Let us know how it goes!

If you open your wallet and pull out "all" your cash and it just so happens to be $175 they are likely to take it.
:lol: I do this with beater cars.

If you're looking at paying a couple hundred dollars or more for something there's nothing wrong with negotiating. I've found you can usually haggle with junkyards, even ones that have posted prices.

As long as you don't go to a yard with prices posted on a sign (such as the actual Pick N Pull branded ones), generally yes.

Timing and strategy is everything; I once left a junkyard with the engine, transmission, suspension, half the interior, Jim Wolf ECU, turbo, upgraded brakes, and intercooler from a modified Nissan Z31 for $200 because of strategies like others have mentioned above plus I timed it so I'd walk up to the window at close to closing time and pitched them a "two wheelbarrow loads for $100 each" deal. They wanted to go home so they made the deal and my friends and I staggered out the gate with two seriously overloaded wheelbarrows containing most of a modified Z31. :p

Edit: For the locals, the U-Pull-It in Grand Prairie off of Jefferson is really susceptible to these tactics (fixed amount in wallet, timing it right.) Those weren't the only wheelbarrow loads I've walked out with.

Last edited:
I did that with the Astra's last service... not to negotiate though, they simply asked for more money than the mechanic told me the day before, so I really didn't have more :lol: worked like a charm.

Well I called the guy back and basically told him that I can get new ones from Ontario for $250, so he said he'd give them to me the ones off the car for $250 (saves me the shipping). That's about what I was willing to pay for them, assuming they are in good shape. So that makes me happy.

Why wouldn't you spend a bit more and get the new ones?

Why wouldn't you spend a bit more and get the new ones?

Because if the ones from the wrecker are indeed in great shape, then I don't have to worry about shipping and I can get them installed sooner and get going on my car, as of right now it's just sitting and I'm sick of it.

As long as you don't go to a yard with prices posted on a sign (such as the actual Pick N Pull branded ones), generally yes.

Timing and strategy is everything; I once left a junkyard with the engine, transmission, suspension, half the interior, Jim Wolf ECU, turbo, upgraded brakes, and intercooler from a modified Nissan Z31 for $200 because of strategies like others have mentioned above plus I timed it so I'd walk up to the window at close to closing time and pitched them a "two wheelbarrow loads for $100 each" deal. They wanted to go home so they made the deal and my friends and I staggered out the gate with two seriously overloaded wheelbarrows containing most of a modified Z31. :p

Edit: For the locals, the U-Pull-It in Grand Prairie off of Jefferson is really susceptible to these tactics (fixed amount in wallet, timing it right.) Those weren't the only wheelbarrow loads I've walked out with.

I've done that with the one in Fort Worth as well. Only I was there early in the day people in line I had the entire interior from a Jeep Cherokee, seats, trim, center console, roof rack and a few other goodies. Walked out spending $85