BBC news: "Top Gear under fire after presenters puff on pipes"

Does not surprise me in the least, and considering the state of the BBC and modern Britain, neither should it surprise anyone here. As soon as I first saw them light up on that episode I knew it was inevitable someone would make a hoo-haa over this.

Hi guys,
Well get used to the no smoking policy in the UK in pubs & everywhere else. We have it here in Ireland for quite some time & it's not too bad overall. You get used to it & don't smoke as much....plus your clothes don't smell like an ashtray the next day :)

There's loads of loopholes to this so unless your favourite haunt doesn't have a 'three sided room' then you will have to smoke outside....unfortunately. Once one of the 'three sided room' walls are exposed to the elements then 'technically' you can smoke there....because it ISN'T in an enclosed space anymore :mrgreen:

Don't worry about this....really! The British Vintners Association (if that's what they're called....I don't know) & Publicans in the UK only have to look at Ireland. They'll see how we have 'worked with the law'....& 'worked around it'.

Is it technically within the law? Yes. Is it within the spirit of the law....I don't know. But then again I like spirits....& pints & Guinness :lol:

If you're a smoker then you now have to PLAN where you wanna get drunk & have a smoke too. I think it's great.

In reality nothing REALLY has changed.

As for smoking in a work vehicle. Well again technically thats an enclosed space & you can't do it. Well for me this is my office & I work alone....so go figure that out for yourselves.

As for TG smoking!? I remember they revved the engine of a Zonda in the studio. Now that would have created more damage than the guys smoking pipes (& I love the smell of pipe tobacco too) for 20-30 Secs. Sometimes it true that the H&S bots always stick their nose in when it isn't needed....just to piss everyone else off....& remember these people were having a 'good time & enjoying themselves'.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Let's face it: The world has gone crazy.

People don't seem to have anything to do anymore. It seems they all just sit around thinking about things to complain about. Pathetic.

I think James was smoking that pipe for more than 30seconds. I saw smoke flying around the studio much later when they were introducing next challenge. :p

I still think they should smoke in ALL news segments to come, then silenty pay like 10grand fine or something if they have to. Shouldnt be really a problem for J.C.. But the look on Ash'ers face= priceless!

i hope it was weed

.... ? Why?

I confess i have partaken in the demon weed myself and enjoyed it, but smoking at work is a big no-no in my book.

(unless you are a professional pot smoker, but i didnt see that table at the high school job fair)

oh my god, hilarious

I think I speak for 99% of the earth when I say - who the F*ck cares?

oh my god, hilarious

I think I speak for 99% of the earth when I say - who the F*ck cares?
I thought the same when I first heard about what happend at the 2004 Superbowl - but I was proven wrong.

I thought the same when I first heard about what happend at the 2004 Superbowl - but I was proven wrong.

That was because nobody wanted to see Janet Jackson's nipple. "Actively avoided" would be a better term.

You had to bring up nipplegate and ruin my day. :p

As for the smoking, as long as they don't ask me to do it I honestly don't care. Except that James looked way too happy with the pipe and chair.

Also, during one of the later lead-in studio bits, I think James was still puffing on his pipe, and there may have been more times. They were smoking for most of the show.