Behind the scenes....

If they axe Top Gear, I will have no idea what to do with my free time. I think I'll have to take up terrorism as a hobby.

That's right, BBC. End Top Gear, and I'll blow your building up. :evil:

"(romantically linked to Vicki Butler-Henderson, presenter of Fifth Gear, a rival show on Five"

so if you ever wondered why the don't do the same items at the same time...
:oops:

After skim-reading to avoid the spoilers, here's the part referred to in the thread title:
Last year Top Gear won an Emmy for best non-scripted entertainment (meaning it is not written by a team of dedicated writers). Clarkson said he was unable to go to New York to receive the award because he was too busy writing the script for the next show. The programme is scripted up to a point. Clarkson writes an outline of events with a few funny lines but there?s plenty of room for improvisation and the usual sparring, and the crew rarely refer to the script once they?re on set. The joking and jibes between takes are funnier than many of those that make it onto the screen, although the majority would not pass the BBC censor.

Despite its success, Top Gear is an endangered species. Clarkson is convinced its days are numbered because, like any show, it will eventually run out of plot lines and gags. Wilman hopes he will have the courage to kill it off before it flags. There is at least one more series in the pipeline, which is due to start on October 8 and run until Christmas.

Critics will no doubt celebrate when it is towed to the scrapheap. It has become a target for activists and campaign groups on subjects ranging from global warming (Ken Livingstone has named flood-prone areas of London ?Clarkson zones, so people will know who caused them? when the polar ice cap melts) to damage to the environment (Clarkson drove a Toyota pick-up truck into a horse chestnut tree, and crushed some rare foliage driving up a Scottish mountain in a Land Rover). It has also been accused of promoting irresponsible driving, causing road deaths, persecution of cyclists and Germans (Clarkson suggested a German car should have ?a sat nav that only goes to Poland?), insensitivity towards social minorities by dint of being all male and all white, and . . . well, you get the picture.

It seems oddly far-fetched that a small crew working out of a Portakabin at the edge of an airfield filming a few fun-filled capers could stir up so much righteous anger. Could it be that its most vocal critics, such as Sir Jonathon Porritt and Janet Street-Porter, haven?t read, or have forgotten, the social satires of George Orwell or Kurt Vonnegut?

Once Top Gear has gone, who will hold the line against the march of political dogma? Spare us the mind-numbing imbecility of Big Brother and breakfast TV and the presenter banter that sounds as though it has been scripted by the Ministry of Fun. Better surely to be wiped out by global catastrophe than suffer a slow daytime death at the hands of Richard and Judy.

Clarkson says it is a battle they cannot hope to win. ?The eco-ists have the ear of the prime minister, the leader of the opposition, the whole of the BBC, most of the country?s newspapers, every single university campus and nearly every government in the world. Whereas I have the ear of the Ford Capri Owners Club. Which is comprised of half a dozen men in Dennis Waterman-style leather bomber jackets.?

Nothing new in that really - we all know the pressure the show is under from enviro-philes and the Politically Correct Movement. I'm sure there will be more than one further series though. Enjoy it while we have it people.

Re: Behind the scenes....

mpulztracker said:
Togear might be in for only one more season :x , apparently...

I can see an upside to it. It would be great to see TG end on a high and stop whilst it's still got the old magic, rather than letting it slowly decompose and turn a once great show into something that's bordering on unwatchable. Long time watchers of The Simpsons will know EXACTLY what I mean.

I really think the show has more in it than one more year, they were probably just winding up the writter and getting the hopes of the eco-nuts up so they can be dashed in 2 years time.

Right?

Blind_Io said:
I really think the show has more in it than one more year....
What I think as well. And considering they upgraded the set, that leads me to believe they got another 2-3 years left in them at least. After that however, Clarkson will probably be a grandfather and May a great grandfather.

Thanks fbc, I stopped reading the article immediately as spoilers seemed eminent...

Well if has to be axed then so be it, although it will be the end of an era and make me very, VERY sad! Looking at the bright side they might finally be willing to make a DVD box once they have a complete set?!?! (pretty please!!!)

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
Blind_Io said:
I really think the show has more in it than one more year....
What I think as well. And considering they upgraded the set, that leads me to believe they got another 2-3 years left in them at least. After that however, Clarkson will probably be a grandfather and May a great grandfather.

Might this be the reason TG will finish? To quote the article:

Clarkson and his fellow presenters each have their own badly dressed ?illegal immigrant? to stow in the back of their vans along with a sorry selection of old furniture, car boot sale ornaments and a ropy oil painting. To press the point, the vans each have a copy of the Daily Mail on the dashboard, and Clarkson is ?coming over all right wing?. Fittingly, Richard Littlejohn, the Mail?s ?man of the people? columnist, is today blustering about immigration.

Clarkson has decided his immigrant is Albanian. ?The natural habitat of the Albanian is under the mattresses in the back of the van,? he says, flexing his non-PC muscles. ?He does not understand English apart from ?DSS? and ?free house?.?

Hounded off-air by complaints?

dammit!! i was planning to go to the TG studio shortly after my 18th birthday. if they stop it after another one season, what will i do? :( another dream gone to hell.
PLEASE don't let this be true...

I think we have atleast two more eps to go, this one is being aired on the 30th. But damn, I can't wait for that one! Someone should make a topic for that ep.

But anyway, Top gear should atleast get past 10 seasons, and there's alot more ideas that could be used! Alot of topical stuff. Maybe a econmical car challenge, anyone? ;)

The thing is, if this was an "ordinary" car show that soley reviewed cars and the like then there would be far less pressure and it would less likely to be axed, as long as they got steady viewer figures. In the pursuit of being outragous it was bound to get stale one day...as much as I love it I suppose you could say it backs up some members views of Top Gear straying from its roots - this could be the consequence.

But that's too depressing to think about, really. I'd be highly surprised if it ended after the next season.

I think it was at the start of series 6 where Clarkson starts by moaning how they thought 2005 was going to be a boring year for cars, then goes, "but 2005 will be a great year for cars!" and cut to the preview of the upcoming weeks. My point is if they hear of new and exciting stuff from the manufacturers it will keep them inspired with stuff for the show. If the manufacturers slow up new releases etc., the show has to stall with other things. They are beholden to the car firms.

?It?s like working in a playground,? says Hammond, staggering from his little van and collapsing onto the tarmac with laughter. ?My five-year-old daughter is always asking me, ?Daddy, when you go and play with uncle Jeremy and uncle James, is that work?? All her friends? dads are bank managers or businessmen or builders.?

HAHHAHA

The joking and jibes between takes are funnier than many of those that make it onto the screen, although the majority would not pass the BBC censor.

How awesome would that be if there was someone on the inside that could leak these whole uncensored episodes to the public(maybe in the DVD Boxset :mrgreen: )

If it gets axed i'll make my OWN Top Gear for everyone. Im afraid every test and challenge will be with the same '95 Subaru Legacy Outback but i can wear too small jeans and an ugly jacket too. you'll never know the difference, i even have a DOG!