Best way to clean snow off of rims?

35558.jpg

:?:

If it's powdery snow you can use a leaf blower. Even the cheapass toros at home depot will work fine. Gets the snow out of the hvac vents as well.
Hadn't thought of that one, I'll see if I can borrow or rent one to try it out.
I kind of have my doubts if it will get rid of the sticky stuff, but I have that same doubt with the air compressor option.
A pressure washer is probably most likely to get rid of it I think, but from reading reviews it seems that the engines in them seem to die rather quickly.
In addition, I'd have to mess with hooking up a garden hose, and freezing would be a problem unless I mix in an anti freezing agent.

I think I'll see if I can rent or borrow each option and see what works best.

Dammit, that requires human interaction. :mad:

This may sound retarded (I have been at the pub for a while) what about some preventative maintenance. i.e smearing on a compound that is aqua-phobic. So maybe some vaseline on the rims. If the snow cannot get a good purchase to start with it won't build up. you can also get windscreen treatments for this sort of thing.

Otherwise just chuck anti freeze on your snow wheels, that will soak in quick and break it down I think, not great for the environment though.

Too dangerous to get Vaseline on the brake discs. A bit of patience and a hair dryer might be the cheapest solution... (except from parking at a warm spot)

Last edited:

This. Liquid water will melt the snow right off just blast it with the hose or go through a touchless car wash.

I had the same thing happen to my wheels last winter. Just wait till the next day, so that the snow is not as fluffy, and then push it out with a broom handle or something similar. It falls out like ice cubes.

This. Liquid water will melt the snow right off just blast it with the hose or go through a touchless car wash.

The drawback is, that it will freeze your whole drive way... I did that once and at the end I had to spent more than an hour to get the ice off the road and sidewalk.

Just go to a self service car wash with the bays that have the high pressure guns to clean off the cars.

selfserve.jpg

Preferably go to the car was where this girl is. There are never women that hot at these self service places.

/\ "Oops I got myself wet what will I do?" [Que music]

The drawback is, that it will freeze your whole drive way... I did that once and at the end I had to spent more than an hour to get the ice off the road and sidewalk.

based off the picture i assumed ESPNSTi had a garage (looks like it's in a garage to me) but yes ice is something to worry about so either pressure wash it or go to a touchless carwash

Yes, I have a garage, but it's not heated.
Most of the snow I get is from driving on the road in front of my house and up the driveway. So a car wash isn't really an option.
If I do go to that car wash however, and give that girl a ride in my car, a wheel imbalance might actually add to the entertainment factor. :wicked:

I don't think just rinsing the rims using a garden hose alone will do much of anything.
Just to clarify, the snow inbetween the spokes themselves isn't the main problem, that is cleared relatively rather quickly.
Where the wheel imbalance comes from is snow sticking to the inside of the rim.
And when I say stick, I mean it's caked on good enough so that a little bit of water running over it or even a light sweep of a brush isn't going to remove it.
It's somewhat similar to having some ice stuck to your windshield and having to scrape it off, although not quite that sticky.

Get a cheap space heater. Place near wheel, watch football.

During halftime, switch wheels.

Caution: Requires 2 football games.

If you have a pressure washer then low pressure and warm water, kinder to the wheels. Might be wort waxing the rims after too as I've noticed it keeps winter shit off.

I don't think just rinsing the rims using a garden hose alone will do much of anything.

Trust me the hose will do just fine. Take an ice cube put it in your sink then run cold water over it. How long did it take to disappear (i just did this and i am guessing it took about 1.5min) and that was solid ice the caked on slush doesnt stand a chance

You also could keep the brakes looked while driving around, so that the discs heat up and the heat that emits melts the ice
:hammer: :rolleyes::spamsign::roflmao::stupid::whistle::wall::thumbsup:

A single heater in a closed garage should keep the garage warm enough, for ice to melt. At least if the garage is at least kind of insulated and not just... let's say a tent.

Last edited: