Building my other sister a PC, need input

$18 in shipping for the monitor, but that one's smaller both in size and resolution.

You sure about that rosewill PSU? I've heard some bad things about them.

I'd recommend something like this Corsair 450w.

Power supply isn't somewhere I want to save money, I want to spend money there, as its arguably the most important component of the entire computer. If it goes, I can take everything else with it.

The Rosewill PSU is more than adaquate for his build. It's a dual core 45nm cpu and a 9600GSO, it won't need much power.

Ok, just look at how long most of those people have had the PSU, not very long. That corsair is a rebranded seasonic and I know, for a fact that those run for ever and ever and ever with stupid loads on them. A buddy of mine had an 8800GTS 320, E6300 and 8 hard drives on a 420w seasonic with zero problems for over a year.

Bought it (got a 22" Acer instead of a 20" though as it was $20 more but free shipping so same cost).

Thanks all! :)

You're welcome. It should be a very nice comp for your sister.

The Rosewill PSU is more than adaquate for his build. It's a dual core 45nm cpu and a 9600GSO, it won't need much power.

It's not the amount of power that is an issue with a Rosewill PSU, but the actual build quality. I had one die on me after just over a year of use, so I personally would never buy one again. But Viper already ordered it anyway, so hopefully mine was just a lemon :)

The amount of power does affect the PSU's life though. If he's rig doesn't stress the PSU near it's rated limit, then even a low end PSU is going to last a long time. My PSUs (Antec Basiq 500w and Ultra Xconnect 500w) are consider pretty low end by many reviewers, but they just keep kicking. Because I don't load them past 70% of their rated power, even if I go Crossfire later on it would've only draw about 650w or so.

Viper's rig will only take 196w on stock clocks according to a psu calculator, so 500w is plenty.

Yeah, this is true for most decent PSUs, but it was the fan that died on my Rosewill..........which just points to poor build quality, and not necessarily related to how much power is being used by the PC or the total wattage of the PSU. Not all PSUs are created equal, even if they have the same amount of wattage as a more expensive model. If the build quality is crap (such as a poor quality fan for instance), it wouldn't matter if the PSU was a 500w or 1000w.

But it's been a couple years since my Rosewill PSU died, so maybe they've improved since then :)

Last edited:
Yea, if it's the fan that died there's not much you can do. I built a comp for a friend with a Q6600 and HD4850 with a Rosewill 600w PSU, the quality seems good, overclocked the CPU to 3.2ghz and the video card to 700/1100 stable. So hopefully the bad PSU you got was just an isolated incident.

Yeah, I'm guessing it was since their reviews seem to be pretty good these days.

If you don't care about a video card you can use a MB with the 780G/790GX series of chips. I built one for my niece in the spring and it was surprising how good it is. It has HDMI built right on board, plus you can use it in a crossfire configuration with a video card later on. I Will be building myself a HTPC out of a 790GX board as soon as I get back taxes(FEB/MARCH).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131273 780G board I used

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138128 790GX example