Don't get a DUI, but REALLY don't get a DUI in Arizona

I approve of this idea, however i want to know how do they test your alcohol level in Arizona? In WV the law is really retarded - some cops don't have a breathalyzer and make you walk in a straight line, touch your nose while standing on one foot and etc, and based on that they can determine whether you are drunk or not! This is not a joke, it has happened to many people in my college! The problem is - some people can't walk in a straight line or touch their nose even if they haven't had any alcohol!

Is that the only test they do?
Here they do a breathalyzer test and if you fail that you go to the nearest copstation and they do a blood test..

Here they do a breathalyzer test and if you fail that you go to the nearest copstation and they do a blood test..

Same deal with the police here, but they also use boozebuses that can do it as well.

Yay AZ! I'm all for zero tolerance of drunk driving. If it were up to me, it would be maybe one chance, and then a lifetime ban from driving for any repeat offense.

Given my mischievous youth, I've been quite familiar with the DUI laws here in AZ... :)

Never got one, though. I consider myself very lucky, and now I don't drive at all after even a sip of alcohol.

As far as the law is written, a DUI can exist even with "the slightest degree of impairment.", which means that you can technically be convicted of a DUI with a BAL of %0.001. This would require a crack team of lawyers and an asshole judge to do, but the books don't limit the minimum to %0.08 like most would like to think.

That being said, the discretion is mostly left in the hands of the officer. The last time I ever drank and drove, which was many years ago, I got pulled over and blew a %0.077. The officer was nice enough to call me a cab, and I thanked him graciously, since he could have made the next years of my life a whole lot worse at that moment. That was all it really took for me.

From what I've gathered, the field sobriety test here is mostly for the officers' personal enjoyment. Whether you fall on your ass or perform the tasks with ease, you're going to get a breathalyser regardless of how well you can perform under the influence.

The funny thing I've noticed in the Scottsdale area is that there is a growing "public brain-trust" of strategies and methods for getting out of DUIs, much like the plethora of half-witted methods people try to use to avoid speed camera tickets. My reply whenever this conversation pops up is, "Don't speed and don't drink drive!". This sentiment is pretty much guaranteed to fall on deaf ears, though...

Saw a documentary about this on Discovery Channel or National Geographic a couple of days ago. IMO, this article doesn't do justice to the overall hell that is this place. A kid that was there for something minor and had a jail sentence of just a couple of weeks was forced to be a drug carrier, and had his sentence extended to a number of months after he was caught.

The best part though? Inmates working in chain-gangs are forced to wear pink. How fabulous!

Well, here is the situation - WV, being one of the poorest states in the country, allows cops to determine whether you are drunk or not the old fashioned way. Most state troopers have brethalyzers, but quite annoyingly most cops in my college town don't, and they really enjoy picking on us.
Not to mention the speed limit in town is 25mph...

The problem is - some people can't walk in a straight line or touch their nose even if they haven't had any alcohol!
And you think they should still be driving based on that? :lol:

breathalyzers are pretty quick and easy now, they've got ones where you just have to count to five with the mouth piece about 10cm away from your mouth.

Saw a documentary about this on Discovery Channel or National Geographic a couple of days ago. IMO, this article doesn't do justice to the overall hell that is this place. A kid that was there for something minor and had a jail sentence of just a couple of weeks was forced to be a drug carrier, and had his sentence extended to a number of months after he was caught.

The best part though? Inmates working in chain-gangs are forced to wear pink. How fabulous!

Yep, you can even buy the pink boxers with the money going to some charity.

It's a shame though, because Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a dumbfuck.

Yep, you can even buy the pink boxers with the money going to some charity.

It's a shame though, because Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a dumbfuck.

I don't view him as a dumbfuck from the get go... He had a lot of good ideas back in the day, but as it usually happens with people in his position, becoming a dumbfuck was inevitable... :)

And yes, I have a pair of signed pink boxers. :) They're almost 15 years old now...

Sheriff Joe is right on a lot of causes exempt DWI it is only used to get money for municipalities. One guy was caught 7 times before he final killed someone, that's a lot of cake over the years that ended up in the public hands. It's one of the reasons why towns don't jump on drug dealers and pick up the customers. After all who wants to slaughter the golden goose.