Driving in Canada!

My friend has a valliant. He get's about 22mpg on the highway with the i6. I'm not sure what his city mileage is. But it's probably in the mid teens.

E30 325e.

My roommate has one, he got it for $1000, and has not spent a penny on it. Drives great, manual, cosmetically less than 100%, I have to say, but it's a fantastic car.

I wanted an E30 cabrio myself, but decided to get an E36 because I got a good deal on mine (and I love it, so I'm not getting rid of her anytime soon :)).

Contrary to popular belief, neither of us have spent a lot maintaining and running our cars, except, I had ridiculously high insurance on my car, for some stupid reason...

If you are going for an e30 get an 318i over a 325 of any kind. The 318i has a timing chain and the 325 has a timing belt that is prone to slippage. 325s are known for their valve droppage.

Insurance for a civic won't be too bad. I'm a new driver and my insurance was ~$150 a month for my '98 civic Si.

E30 325e.

My roommate has one, he got it for $1000, and has not spent a penny on it. Drives great, manual, cosmetically less than 100%, I have to say, but it's a fantastic car.

I wanted an E30 cabrio myself, but decided to get an E36 because I got a good deal on mine (and I love it, so I'm not getting rid of her anytime soon :)).

Contrary to popular belief, neither of us have spent a lot maintaining and running our cars, except, I had ridiculously high insurance on my car, for some stupid reason...

Your age is why yor insurance is so high. That should change the next time you renew it though.

My roommate is younger than me and has cheaper insurance :(

My E36 is a 4 door 318 (ladies car :lol:).

Silly insurance rules :\. I don't know how it works... I have longer driving history than him, we have the same address, he has a bunch of infractions, and I was insured when I didn't have any infractions (I haven't been driving for the past year and a half though, because insurance is out of my budget at the moment - but I should start driving again in the next few months).. it's pretty lame.

YOu are getting charged more because you went without insurance. Again, that should change next time you renew.

If they can charge you more, they will.

Oh, I see. There's been a misunderstanding in what I said then heh.

When I was comparing my own insurance with my roommates, I had never gone off insurance before then. We'd both been insured for about the same time (myself for two years longer, being two years older than him). I only went off of insurance like 500 days ago, and have not been insured since. I would understand my rates going up because of that, but before, when we were both insured, I had the better driving record, the longer driving record, the driver's training certificate, the newer car with smaller engine, the higher age, the same address, and the same insurance company).

They pull their numbers out of their ass, that's what they do... The difference wasn't small either, it was an 80 dollar a month difference...

Oh, I see. There's been a misunderstanding in what I said then heh.

When I was comparing my own insurance with my roommates, I had never gone off insurance before then. We'd both been insured for about the same time (myself for two years longer, being two years older than him). I only went off of insurance like 500 days ago, and have not been insured since. I would understand my rates going up because of that, but before, when we were both insured, I had the better driving record, the longer driving record, the driver's training certificate, the newer car with smaller engine, the higher age, the same address, and the same insurance company).

They pull their numbers out of their ass, that's what they do... The difference wasn't small either, it was an 80 dollar a month difference...

Was his policy identical to yours when it came to liability? That's really the only thing I can think of that maybe different between two drivers the same age. That said, auto insurance in Ontario is ridiculous even now I still can't afford to become "primary" driver despite being insured for 6+ years without incident. It doesn't even matter what sort of car I get, if I get a beater the insurance costs more than the beater. So much for competition driving down price...

He stop paying for insurance, therefor he must be a higher risk(insurance co. reasoning).

Lol, GRtak, as I've mentioned before, I haven't been insured AFTER I stopped paying for insurance, so how can they call me a high risk driver if I am under a policy.

I understand that I would be considered high risk and be charged a premium for any policy that I am subsequently going to take, however, my insurance was UNINTERRUPTED when I was driving.

Anyways, GMIV, our policies were both comprehensive, but whereas my roommate was born in Canada, I moved here 10 years ago. That might be a difference, who knows.

It's not that big a deal anyway, I was just pointing out that insurance companies are a rip off here, and haven't changed my mind :lol:

It's not that big a deal anyway, I was just pointing out that insurance companies are a rip off here, and haven't changed my mind :lol:

No argument from me on that one. Its something that every Ontario resident probably agrees is something we all hate. I personally think its worse than taxes, there's a small chance of repeal and a slightly bigger chance of reduction for taxes...there's no chance for insurance premiums to go down, always up.

How stupid would it be to buy an old Crown Victoria Police Interceptor?

I must admit that I'm very tempted to say "Screw you" to fuel economy and manual gearbox for this kind of car :-D

How stupid would it be to buy an old Crown Victoria Police Interceptor?

I must admit that I'm very tempted to say "Screw you" to fuel economy and manual gearbox for this kind of car :-D

BC has the highest gas prices of almost all the provinces in Canada(the territories are the worst), New Brunswick is pretty close despite having oil revenue. I'm not as willing to laugh off fuel economy with those gas prices. The good news is they are tanks and have the benefit of all fleet cars by being maintained properly. I guess you can also terrorize your fellow motorists if you put on police items like a bull bar which may entertain you...or annoy you because no one will break speed limit.

The price average in BC seems to be around 1.15$/L, which is about 0,83?/L. The price average in France right now is about 1.4?/L, or 1.9$/L.

I think there is still a long way before I consider petrol expensive here :-D

I just priced out the cost of filling my Jimmy if America had those prices for gas.

108 US dollars!!!!!! I would only pay around 40-45 US dollars right now! Jeepers man!

Yeah, but it gets around 20-22mpg. Which I admit isn't that great, but compared to the mostorus conversion vans and work vans people use. it's eco!

My full size(short length, 4.3 v6) Chevy conversion got ~ 20.