Food! [The thread that started this section]

the ratio of sugar fat and flour seems off from wooflepoof's recipie. I am not sure how much it matters in canoli dough but in baking (like bread) the ratios are very important it's closer to chemistry than "cooking".

well tbh the 321 dough is more for baking and for tarts and pie dough, probably wont do well for cannolis im trying to find cannoli recipe but theres dozens of b&p teachers in the public folders, and i have NO idea what classes they teach:p

doing some quick searching with google Redliners recipie seems to just about on the money with what i am finding.

recipe 1
1 3/4 c. unsifted flour
1/2 tsp. slat
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp. firm butter cut into sm. pieces
1/4 c. dry Marsala
1 egg white, slightly beaten

Recipe 2
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup white wine
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 quart oil for frying

and recipe 3
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dry Marsala or other dry red wine
2 beaten egg whites
Vegetable oil, for frying
Cannoli molds (tubes for shaping shells during frying)

I wonder if the oil wasn't hot enough so that it melted the dough instead of cooking it like it should?

The_Finn: I don't think the problem was oil temperature. I tried with hotter oil and just ended up with burnt spongy scum...

wooflepoof: I know yeast and baking soda are different things but in the end the outcome is the same: CO2 production. Each recipe asked specifically for one of those but the one without the yolk seems to be an error.

To be honest, I think the flour I used was "old". I'll try again and let you guys know.

Ever wonder what a mild heart attack would taste like? Just head down to your local KFC!

http://img528.imageshack.**/img528/8612/image009on1.jpg

Ever wonder what a mild heart attack would taste like? Just head down to your local KFC!

OMG.... is that one of those "Stenosis Bowls" or whatever they are calling them now?

http://img114.imageshack.**/img114/5695/kfcbowlxf1.jpg

Cheese
White Gravy
Fried Chicken
Corn
Mashed Potatoes

ALL IN ONE BOWL!

According to my friend whose father has a massive corporate job at KFC, they're the best-selling item at KFC, ever. Didn't Patton Oswald do a bit on that?

Holy crap, why don't they just sell buckets of lard and be done with it.

what do u think the mashed potatoes are made out of? remember, vegetables are only good when theyre made from meat or fat

know what that needs. that needs some bacon... mmmm bacon...

also redliner any luck with those canoli?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoBQzAODeao[/YOUTUBE]
Found it: 2 minutes 56 seconds in. But watch Conan O'Brian in shock first. :lmao:

:lmao:

I just tried making the Steamed Custard Bun (Chinese dish) and it was the biggest flop ever, I've never ever made anything that tasted so crap before.

Change to: servings US Metric
170 g cake flour
170 g hong kong flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
45 g caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
160 g water
10 g shortening
CUSTARD FILLING
10 g custard powder
50 g wheat starch (tungmin flour)
100 ml milk
50 g butter
1 large egg, slightly beaten

1) Sift cake flour, hk flour, and salt into a mixing bowl.
2) Combine castor sugar, yeast and water with the flours, and blend to mix well-- Then knead until soft dough is formed.
3) Add in shortening, and continue to knead until dough is smooth and elastic.
4) Prove dough for 60-90mins until dough has risen to its limit.
5) Meanwhile, prepare custard filling-- Combine custard powder, wheat starch, and castor sugar in a nonstock pan.
6) Add in milk, and stir mixture over low heat until mixed-- then add butter.
7) When butter is dissolved, turn off heat, and keep stirring while gradually adding the egg.
8) Divide dough into 12 portions, shaped into balls, cover with damp cloth, and set aside.
9) Using a rolling pin, roll the a ball where the edges are thinner than the center.
10) Add custard filling in the middle, and wrap to form a bun.
11) Place on parchment paper, and repeat for the other buns.
12) Prove for 15-20mins.
13) Boil water in steamer, and steam custard buns over rapid boiling water for 10-15mins-- Enjoy!
14) NOTE: Hongkong flour is to make the buns"white", like the restaurants' buns.
15) However, if you don't have any.
16) you can use all purpose flour, but it wont be as white.

I problem was, 1. I had no idea what shortening was so I used butter as an alternative, but that wasn't the main problem.
I tried making the custard, I might have gotten the proportions wrong or something because I don't have a scale, I do have a measuring jug though... so can someone tell me what the weights roughly transform to in teaspoon or tablespoon?

also, incase you don't know what it looks like, its basically a bun with custard in the middle, and also how do you wrap the bun around the custard when it was liquid?

any expert pastry chef's or trainee ones can help?

also redliner any luck with those canoli?

As a matter of fact, YES!

I overcooked a few of them, but overall it turned out PERFECT.:D
I must thank you for posting the recipes (I used number 2) and wooflepoof for the help. Thanks guys. Later I'll post pictures, when they are properly stuffed and decorated.:mrgreen:

Andy,

check out This site. it should have what your looking for...

Here it is! Behold!

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

I filled them with cream (lemon juice and condensed milk) and whipped cream at the tips. I also made a few filled with Nutella and whipped cream.:D

Last edited:
wow those look really good... we have a place near me that makes pistachio ricotta filled canoli... they are to DIE for... very very good

Last edited: