Food! [The thread that started this section]

Has anyone ever tried to make Cannoli? I tried 2 times already, but there seems to be something wrong with the dough. Help would be appreciated!

Clyde: bologna, genoa salami, ham, and honey ham. I just kept on piling more meat (that's what she said :mrgreen:) to overpower the olive oil, rice vinegar, Italian dressing, lettuce, tomato, smoked Gouda, and pepper jack cheese. Anyway, I couldn't finish it. :cry:

^ Your's looks tastier, healthier and better prepared.
Get back in the prison canteen, Martha Stewart! <_< :p

Clyde: bologna, genoa salami, ham, and honey ham. I just kept on piling more meat (that's what she said :mrgreen:) to overpower the olive oil, rice vinegar, Italian dressing, lettuce, tomato, smoked Gouda, and pepper jack cheese. Anyway, I couldn't finish it. :cry:

Get back in the prison canteen, Martha Stewart! <_< :p

Rice vinegar...wtf? IMO best sandwiches ever are Vietnamese subs. Enjoyed with a bowl of Pho....*droooool*

Has anyone ever tried to make Cannoli? I tried 2 times already, but there seems to be something wrong with the dough. Help would be appreciated!

How are you making it?

If you're still having trouble i can get you the schools recipe it seems to work out pretty well

Rice vinegar...wtf? IMO best sandwiches ever are Vietnamese subs. Enjoyed with a bowl of Pho....*droooool*

yeah buddy

How are you making it?

If you're still having trouble i can get you the schools recipe it seems to work out pretty well

I tried two different recipes, but please, send me the school recipe.:)

Less talk, more food! Just came back from Harvey's and got the Spicy Jack Combo. Bacon, Monterrey Jack cheese (sp?), and some spicy sauce with large onion rings and a Pepsi. For you non-Canadians, Harvey's is a popular fast food chain in Canada, they also make some great Poutine

http://img172.imageshack.**/img172/1742/picture6wg5.jpg

http://img131.imageshack.**/img131/2182/picture3oo1.jpg

Contents of the burger after removing the bun.

http://img234.imageshack.**/img234/3466/picture5sy3.jpg

Mmm.. onion rings *drools*

http://img501.imageshack.**/img501/9161/picture4eu4.jpg

Last edited:
Harvey's is some tasty crap... too bad it's not available around my parts.

Yeah, Harvey's definately makes the best burgers available from a fast food joint. Just the thought of those burgers coming hot off the grill is making me hungry. Plus, you can put anything you want in any quantity you want on it, and their pickles are amazing.

In short, Harvey's = Win.

What the well brought up 15 year old lady is eating for pudding (aka Miss Cobol74 my daughter).

http://img508.imageshack.**/img508/7836/dscn00990001tz5.th.jpg

I tried two different recipes, but please, send me the school recipe.:)

whats the problem your having? It could be an issue of technique instead of just a problem with the recipie. Pastry can be a real bitch.

Here's my late night dinner. It's chicken, kimchi (Spiced cabbage, a Korean national staple), and rice. It looks and tastes better than the picture suggests.

http://img117.imageshack.**/img117/5959/picture2cg1.jpg

Oh wow, Kimchi. So tell me, what is worse, kimchi breath, kimchi burps or kimchi farts? I gotta go with kimchi breath. Oooohwee! :p

whats the problem your having? It could be an issue of technique instead of just a problem with the recipie. Pastry can be a real bitch.

Maybe, I really have no clue. problem is: as soon as I immerse the tubes in the oil, the dough "melts"...so instead of a nice fried tube I'm left with a lot of spongy scum in the frying pan.:cry:

<---
4l5defa.jpg
Waffles!

:lol:

Maybe, I really have no clue. problem is: as soon as I immerse the tubes in the oil, the dough "melts"...so instead of a nice fried tube I'm left with a lot of spongy scum in the frying pan.:cry:

You might have too much fat in the dough and the heat is rendering it, turning it into a liquid. im looking for the schools recipe on the email now but that means i have to find all the baking and pastry teachers folders and look through their recipes so it might take a while. though i have recipes for various other desserts and the powerpoints for out lessons which might help you find out what your problem is if you'd like THOSE

can you post your dough recipe here?

Here a few dough recipes i know work cuz i've done them(tuille paste is for making designs and stuff, like the cookie spoons and other shapes you find on fancy desserts

1-2-3 DOUGH
1-pound sugar
2 pounds butter
3 pounds pastry flour
3 eggs

Cream together butter and sugar until there are no lumps. Add eggs in stages, scraping bowl in between additions. Add flour all at once, mix on first speed until moistened.

TUILLE PASTE
1 pound bread flour
1 pound powdered sugar
1 pound pasteurized egg whites
1 pound melted butter

Sift together sugar and flour. Using a whisk add half the whites, blending to make a thick paste. Add remaining whites blend until no lumps. Add the butter slowly while blending.

Last edited:
You might have too much fat in the dough and the heat is rendering it, turning it into a liquid. im looking for the schools recipe on the email now but that means i have to find all the baking and pastry teachers folders and look through their recipes so it might take a while. though i have recipes for various other desserts and the powerpoints for out lessons which might help you find out what your problem is if you'd like THOSE

can you post your dough recipe here?

Here a few dough recipes i know work cuz i've done them(tuille paste is for making designs and stuff, like the cookie spoons and other shapes you find on fancy desserts

Thank you! I tried 2 different recipes but had the same problem. I will post them here later.

Here it goes:
1 cup all-purpose
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons cold lard
2 tablespoons sweet Marsala wine
1 egg yolk

First time I tried a slightly different recipe, without egg yolk and with yeast instead of baking soda.

Here it goes:
1 cup all-purpose
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons cold lard
2 tablespoons sweet Marsala wine
1 egg yolk

First time I tried a slightly different recipe, without egg yolk and with yeast instead of baking soda.

the ratio of sugar fat and flour seems off from wooflepoof's recipie. I am not sure how much it matters in canoli dough but in baking (like bread) the ratios are very important it's closer to chemistry than "cooking".

Baking soda and yeast are two different hings, they do different things to food and one of them(yeast) is even alive, if the recipe called for one or the other thats a bit wierd. As for the yolk, It contains fatty material and it helps to emulsify and thicken. im only a culinary student so im not so well versed in baking formula but there is alot of fat in your recipe, try finding one w/ less fatty things or check your oil temperature and type. gimme a more detailed description of whats happening and i'll try to help u