Gear To Be Filmed At Marine Corps Air Station El Toro?

Just climb over the fence and get a zoom lens. Also if we can get a few people over there we should have decent coverage.

They're "planning" (which in politics means in 3 decades) the "Orange County Great Park" and they have hot air balloon tours to show what is going to happen to the area. If one of us could get on that....

Yes! That would be just epic. :lol:

Skipping school for this? That seems a bit extreme -- for all we know, they're just literally standing there for half a second and being done. :lol:

Let's not get our hopes up too high of anything coming out of this. ;)

Skipping school for this? That seems a bit extreme -- for all we know, they're just literally standing there for half a second and being done. :lol:

Let's not get our hopes up too high of anything coming out of this. ;)

Don't shatter our dreams Viper! What else is there to be gity about?

You guys may want to link up with some "infiltrators" if you have the time, may have some tips about the base for better observation posts (at the very least) Kind of hard to get info out of those guys so thats where if you have the time comes in.

Well I don't have anything to do until 11:30am or so tomorrow so I will swing by and czech it out...

It's just boring old English :p Plus, I need something fun to do, school is a really boring grind at the moment

You guys may want to link up with some "infiltrators" if you have the time, may have some tips about the base for better observation posts (at the very least) Kind of hard to get info out of those guys so thats where if you have the time comes in

o_O We're not exactly breaking into Pendleton... Just a decommissioned base... Plus, I have extreme doubts that they'd be able to seal off the entire base, even with these jerk police officers here. Too busy asking teenagers if they're smoking weed just because they're playing basketball at night... (Yes, personal experience)

Last edited:
Well I don't have anything to do until 11:30am or so tomorrow so I will swing by and czech it out...
They'll be, or at least Adam will be, there from like 1 until 6 PM.

You can pretty much make a Top Gear replica, or get more creative and make something usable.

I live right near there too, that probably means they will film in the surrounding area. Imagine supercars "leisurely" or any kind of drive for that matter on the 73 and 241 toll roads, Santiago Canyon Rd, and the Ortega Highway :heart:

Lets get creative. For reference the long runways(North/South) are 10,000 ft long and the shorter(East/West) two are 8,000, ft and the one on the north west side adjacent to both is 3,900 ft long.
ElToro_CA_color.jpg

If you look it up right now on Google maps you can see a gathering of cars on one of the runways.

Last edited:
I went to a car show at El Toro about 10 years ago. It actually would be a good place to do the show.

I live right near there (Newport Beach), and the base is still fenced in pretty well.
But, there is a free balloon ride that you can take all day long (on a 500 foot cable).
They are always having motoring events there (like when a car company wants to invite press to try out a new car) so having cones and cars all over the old runways is nothing new.
The only problem I see with filming it there is that it won't be there in the (near) future. The whole base (runways included) is set to be demolished and a huge park put in it's place, and the construction has already started...

Hmm, maybe they're gonna be filming somewhere else and are only shooting promo stuff at El Toro...

Maybe this is a red herring to distract the internet fan base of Top Gear so they can film in quiet somewhere. I'm just sayin'.

Maybe this is a red herring to distract the internet fan base of Top Gear so they can film in quiet somewhere. I'm just sayin'.
Well, except this was Adam Carolla that said it and not NBC. He wasn't even supposed to mention that he's hosting it. They got mad at him for saying it, but he doesn't care. :lol:

Well, getting the photos was a bust, for me at least. I was able to see what they're doing though, by driving on the Toll Roads nearby. But they've set up a track and they were driving a pickup truck, a rather large one, around it. I'd hazard a guess that it was a Nissan Titan by the size.

I spotted a hole that I could possibly get through, but conditions couldn't be worse for sneaking past... Very little vegetation what little of there is is near dead, so my camouflage wouldn't work, it's absolutely flat surrounding the area, there's constant wind blowing, and the vegetation is in very poor locations in regards to the track they set up.

But the track is very similar to the Top Gear one, it's location is in the picture. Had some trailers with a tent for the camera crew. Didn't seem like a promo, since they went through the trouble of setting up the entire track.

Untitled-3.png

<_< Dunno why the picture is so small, but you get the idea...

I hate to sound terribly pessimistic but I just cannot seem to imagine any track being even remotely as good as Dunsfold. That alone I think would be enough to keep me away from Gear... But I won't shoot the idea down just yet.

Edit: Also, when I heard about El Toro airbase being used, I was......displeased

:p

I was listening to the Adam Carolla podcast and he mentioned that they were doing some drifting at El Toro in an M5 for the show. It will be interesting to see how this show turns out.
Which segment? I'm behind and don't have time to listen to it all. :(

I think it would be hilarious if he was just saying this crap KNOWING it was being posted here, just to see how amped up everyone gets... oh and just in case... Hi Adam!

its in the beginning of How Say You, Hammer Part 2. someone called in asking how the first day went and he said they get mad when he talks about because he isn't supposed to yet. well then he said F that and talked for a few seconds about having some champion drifter literally burn the tires off an M5. :D