Going to Germany for a Year

Ferrari_Freak

Car(s)
Specialized Allez Elite :)
Hey guys, I recently got an offer for a 12 month internship in Germany... so obviously I've accepted it. :cool: I'll be staying there from late May 2011 till May or June 2012. The pay isn't amazing but it's enough for me to travel. Since I'm a Canadian citizen, travelling around the EU shouldn't be an issue. I want to make a nice long list of places to see. Since there are a lot of European members here I figured I should make a thread asking for advice. Places of interest, cost of travel, and any other advice in general would be greatly appreciated.

careful D-Fence lives there

In 1996 in High school, I spent a month there...and I've been wantin to go back ever since.

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p37/spudmunkey/1996 trip to Germany/

(apologies in advance, as these are scans on a shitty scanner of photos that Wal-Mart's photo lab did a shitty job of developing.)

For me, as lame and touristy as it is, I loved this day of the trip:
img214.jpg

Last edited:
BMW Welt in Munich!

One place you have to visit at a specific time: the N?rburgring. :p

Then again, what are you interested in (besides cars, obviously) and as narf said, where are you going to stay? I know Germany isn't as big as Canada or the USA, but it isn't exactly a day trip to go from Munich to Hamburg and see more than just one thing.

I know Germany isn't as big as Canada or the USA, but it isn't exactly a day trip to go from Munich to Hamburg and see more than just one thing.

:nod: A direct ICE train takes 6h per trip, you wouldn't see much of your destination... but a lot of Germany whizzing past :lol:

Tip: Don't call an ICE an "Ice train." Ice, in english, sounds like "eis" in german, which can be ice cream. The locals all laughed at us when we were talking about the "ice train" (ice cream train)

Last edited:
The German Museum in Munich an/or the Technical Museum in Speyer and/or the German Technology Museum in Berlin is a must.
All three offer a brilliant variety of exhibits from the history of technology and science and are big enough to spend several days in there.

EDIT: See, even D-Fence agrees!

Oktoberfest in Munich of course, I went last year just for a little bit, but it was fun.

Oktoberfest-girls-2009-1.jpg

Judging by our username and avatar the Modena, Bologna, Parma area in Italy would be a obvious destination.

Apart from stuff like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Pagani, Ducatti and so on being made there the food, wine and scenery is excellent.

It would be (and is) on top of my list for places to visit in Europe.

Depending on how much time you have, do some weekend trips to some of the big European cities.

The North American family and friends I have, have been amazed at how different the countries in Europe can be despite being so close together (by Canadian standards).

As much as I would like to be patriotic and all that there really isen't anything spectacular to see as a tourist up here in Denmark...

Tip: Don't call an ICE an "Ice train." Ice, in english, sounds like "eis" in german, which can be ice cream. The locals all laughed at us when we were talking about the "ice train" (ice cream train)
:lol: Yeah, I would laugh, too, since ICE is the abbreviation for Intercity Express and isn't pronounced like ice in english but as separate letters.

As for Technikmuseum Sinsheim: definitely a recommendation, too, I was there last year, here are the car-related pics and here the non-car-related pics.

Oh, and if you want to party at a weekend in Hamburg, give me a call, I'll show you some nice corners. ;)

Yeah, the ICE train........this is almost as confusing as people asking me in the middle of the street where the next HBF (pronounced in English) was......that took me some seconds.....

First of all, congratulations!

Second, whatever you decide to do, don't just rent a powerful German saloon and take it on a derestricted bit of Autobahn - unless of course you've got experience in that sort of thing.

Third, I agree with everybody: what sort of sight are you interested in?

You don't say where, so my recommendations are Bavaria-centric because that's where I know -

Any restaurant serving weisswurst, bretzel, and a Ma? - second breakfast

Any restaurant serving Schweinshax' - lunch (knuckle of pork, I think?)

Any restaurant serving Eispalatschinken - evening meal (more Austrian, this, it's a warm pancake wrapped around vanilla ice-cream)

Roll home to bed, after all that lot.

Oktoberfest, assuming you like any one of: beer, hendl, fairground rides, hot women in the most amazing dresses (dirndl) :wub:

Amazing public transport in Munich (the best public transport... in the worrrld)

Lots of museums and stuff.

Skiing in Garmisch (yes, it will be foggy, that's part of the "charm" of the place)

Mountains. More mountains than you can shake a crutch at (assuming you do them after breaking your leg at Garmisch)

But most of all I would like to say, don't go to Munich, or even Bavaria. It's populated by the most obnoxious people in the worr... well, you get it.

Ah, shit, that's not fair. A Bavarian is the most trustworthy, firm friend you can have. But as a race, they are the most obnoxious people in the world.

Last edited:
Yeah, the ICE train........this is almost as confusing as people asking me in the middle of the street where the next HBF (pronounced in English) was......that took me some seconds.....
Hairy boyfriend?

I liked Munic a lot. It reminded me of a clean Chicago. Sort of Minneapolis-ish, but without everything closing at 8PM.