iPhone / iOS Thread

Does jailbreaking tend to void your warranty if stuff goes wrong? I'm not going to jailbreak my 3GS if it puts my extended warranty (which my parents paid a fair bit for!) in jeopardy.

If not, will that site work on a 3GS/2nd gen iTouch? If so i might fix my sister's iTouch up with it for her...

Yes, it breaks your warranty. However unlike unlocking, jailbreaking is a low (but not no) risk thing. Unless something breaks preventing you from doing so, you can easily restore to the default software if you need to return it.

Is there not a Skype app?

It doesn't do video.

Fring did briefly, but then Skype got mad.

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm looking for a bit of help here. I just bought a used 3GS thats running 3.1.3 (with the MC bootrom). Is there a way to activate it without the use of the original sim card? I want to upgrade to iOS4.0.1, but my seller does not have the original sim card. On my 3G, I activated it through redsn0w, but I know that it doesn't support the MC bootrom. I know there is a method that involves a phonebook sim, but I can't seem to find one on sale here now.

Well the beta of frash is available for the iPhone on cydia. Surprisingly it actually works quite well though I don't really have a practical use for it. The good news is that you have the option of a toggle for sbsettings. Have any of you guys tried it yet?

I heard it's painfully slow on a 3G, which doesn't surprise me :-D

That's nice that you can actually enable/disable it on the fly.

Hey guys I'm looking for a bit of help here. I just bought a used 3GS thats running 3.1.3 (with the MC bootrom). Is there a way to activate it without the use of the original sim card? I want to upgrade to iOS4.0.1, but my seller does not have the original sim card. On my 3G, I activated it through redsn0w, but I know that it doesn't support the MC bootrom. I know there is a method that involves a phonebook sim, but I can't seem to find one on sale here now.

My understanding is that you need a valid sim or a phonebook sim (available online for ~ $5 I hear) to activate before using jailbreakme.com. You only need it for a minute though, so find a friend with a valid sim, and use it for a minute when you install 4.0.1.

Well the beta of frash is available for the iPhone on cydia. Surprisingly it actually works quite well though I don't really have a practical use for it. The good news is that you have the option of a toggle for sbsettings. Have any of you guys tried it yet?

I've tried it, and while 0.2 is considerably better than 0.1, it's still basically unusable, because touch events don't seem to work. I'll keep it installed but disabled, and wait for updates. At least now that Benm is packaging it, it's a lot easier to keep up on it. No more git cloning and building it myself.

Last edited:
I was playing with the scientific calc on the iphone (landscape layout = scientific calc) and noticed that cube root of 64 <> 4 but 4.00000001. Anybody else see the same ?

Apparently some lawyer here in Denmark is saying, that he believes it to be illegal to jailbreak your iPhone in Denmark, since it is not allowed according to your license. Basically you are not allowed to modify or add to the code. You could get fined for doing it.

Really rather stupid :p

I was playing with the scientific calc on the iphone (landscape layout = scientific calc) and noticed that cube root of 64 <> 4 but 4.00000001. Anybody else see the same ?

My Java code did stuff like that to me a long time ago, there's a margin of error with floating point calculations. Too bad you're using whole numbers! Looks like an oversight.

Apparently some lawyer here in Denmark is saying, that he believes it to be illegal to jailbreak your iPhone in Denmark, since it is not allowed according to your license. Basically you are not allowed to modify or add to the code. You could get fined for doing it.

Really rather stupid :p

isn't it also legal to punch(/hit with a some sort of weapon) a swedish that is walking to denmark on ice covered ocean?

My wall and car chargers don't work anymore with my iPod since I installed iOS 4. :(

iOS 4.0.2 has been released, and patches the flaws exploited by the jailbreakme.com jailbreak. Don't update if you want to be able to jailbreak in the future, and do yourself a favor and download http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ and back up your 4.0.1 shsh blobs before apple stops signing them. HURRY, you have only hours left!

I don't get it. People already paid for their expensive phone. Why don't they just let people use whatever software they want?

I don't get it. People already paid for their expensive phone. Why don't they just let people use whatever software they want?

The worst part is that the new patch WILL be jaibroken. Probably quickly. It's a completely futile effort. Reminds me of the days of Custom Firmware on my PSP, firmware updates battling back and forth with modders constantly, but it was never more than a few weeks before a crack came out.

This patch is not so much about the jailbreak thingy... It actually fixes a pretty bad security flaw in the PDF viewer!

Now I don't know about you but I don't consider that improving security is a bad thing, and I'm pretty sure that the devteam will find another way to jailbreak in about a week anyway...

I'm not saying updating software is a futile effort, just that trying to prevent Jailbreaking/etc is!

With the PSP, they went so far as to come out with hardware revisions that specifically disallowed certain firmware versions, supposed to be uncrackable. That didn't last either...

The Good: Found a store about 20 mins away from me that had just ONE iPhone left!

The Bad: Was about 5 mins away from the store when I started to hit literally EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. RED. LIGHT.

The Ugly: Walked into the store (it was a store in a mall) and there was only one other customer in the store besides me. And he bought the phone. I felt like stabbing him.

This patch is not so much about the jailbreak thingy... It actually fixes a pretty bad security flaw in the PDF viewer!

Now I don't know about you but I don't consider that improving security is a bad thing, and I'm pretty sure that the devteam will find another way to jailbreak in about a week anyway...

I don't know that the devteam will bother with another software jailbreak, at least until 4.1. They're better off doing a hardware jailbreak like the old Pwn2.0 or 24kPwn bootrom exploits, as it cannot be patched through an OS update, only by updating the hardware. Since the early-stage bootrom code is very small, and an obvious target, Apple has probably done their best to make it resistant to further hacks.

Basically, there are only a limited number of security holes that the Dev Team can use to gain root access, and by releasing a new jailbreak too soon, they allow Apple to close one more hole. There is no reason for them to release a new jailbreak for 4.0.2, since the only change is patching the security hole, and Saurik already has a patch out on Cydia, so no one who has any intention of ever jailbreaking should install 4.0.2. At the very least, people should save their shsh blobs (using firmware umbrella, no need to jailbreak) just in case they decide to try out the jailbreak later. This update does not change the baseband, so the ultrasn0w unlock will work even if you upgraded to 4.0.2 and then downgraded back to 4.0.1.

Last edited: