iPhone / iOS Thread

This patch is not so much about the jailbreak thingy... It actually fixes a pretty bad security flaw in the PDF viewer!

Now I don't know about you but I don't consider that improving security is a bad thing, and I'm pretty sure that the devteam will find another way to jailbreak in about a week anyway...

Well the good news is that there is a patch in Cydia that will patch the PDF exploit so you can enjoy a jailbroken phone without having to worry about potentially malicious pdf files harming your iDevice.

The Good: Found a store about 20 mins away from me that had just ONE iPhone left!

The Bad: Was about 5 mins away from the store when I started to hit literally EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. RED. LIGHT.

The Ugly: Walked into the store (it was a store in a mall) and there was only one other customer in the store besides me. And he bought the phone. I felt like stabbing him.

Random trips to random shopping centres work! Just picked up my phone!

Can't wait for the new iPod Touches to get released and jailbroken. Then I can access all the applications I wanted with the iOS without having to blow a grand on a new iphone 4G. :)

I hope it'll looks like an even thinner iPhone 4.

There is a lot of evidence that indicates a retina display and front facing cameras on the new iPod Touches. If they style it to look like the iPhone 4 and replace the scratch prone "chrome" back end, I think it will be a very tempting buy. I hope that they won't sell an inferior $199 8 GB. I'd wather spend an extra $30 for the new hardware...

I also can't wait for some info on the new iPod touches, they better look as sexy as the iPhone 4.

Soooo... I have a story.
When Yana (my g/f) and I went to FL we had to drive around in her cousin's car for a bit but since I did not know the area I was using my phone for navigation. As I was driving I did not want to hold my phone and gave it to my g/f.

As we were coming close to the house I no longer needed the directions so she put the phone on her skirt. As she was getting out of the car she forgot about the phone and dropped it on the ground. The phone fell on the driveway screen first and cracked.

So I called Apple to find out how much the screen replacement is and they said it was $200. So I made an appointment with the Genius's and went there today.

So I tell them that I need a screen replacement and they tell me that they don't replace screens on the iPhone 4 because it's entirely too much trouble and they only replace the phones.

So they ask me if I dropped it and I say "yes", they ask me what the height of the drop was and I said "about 3 feet". So the guy pulls out a new phone and sets it up. Then gives a piece of paper to sign with a price "0.00". So I sign it an leave.

Moral of the story is: Apple DOES care about their customers

I bought a Macbook Pro in the UK and they told me they'd put a Norwegian keyboard in it for free. They even called back to say it was ready 30 minutes after I had delivered it. Very impressed.

So if I accidentally upgraded to 4.0.2, I`m boned for jailbreaking?

So if I accidentally upgraded to 4.0.2, I`m boned for jailbreaking?

As Koenig mentioned, Redsn0w still works with 4.0.2 on all phones that it has always worked on. Jailbreakme.com is the only thing that is affected by the 4.0.2 patch, so if you have an iPhone 4, you have to hope that you have a saved SHSH blob (either the automatic save that Cydia does on all jailbroken phones, or through the Firmware Umbrella) for 4.0.1 (or 4.0), or that Apple is still signing requests for 4.0.1 firmware. If you have an iPhone 4, download 4.0.1 (or 4.0), and restore by holding Cmd (shift maybe on windows?) to select firmware manually. Use Firmware Umbrella to save your 4.0.1 shsh blob quickly if it still works.

I bought a Macbook Pro in the UK and they told me they'd put a Norwegian keyboard in it for free. They even called back to say it was ready 30 minutes after I had delivered it. Very impressed.

Thats good to hear. I'm considering getting the extended Applecare warranty on my MB pro since its only $130, and if it covers things like battery/sceen replacements then that would be handy.

Does swapping HDs void the warranty though? I swapped out the original 320GB for a 500GB drive.

AppleCare covers batteries under certain conditions and won't cover a shattered screen.
Also make sure that you don't bump and bend any parts of your Mac since that might void parts of the / the whole warranty.

The Hard Drive is supposed to be a user replaceable part so that shouldn't be an issue. Make sure you keep the original hard drive, just in case.

They tell you how to swap the hard drive and memory in the laptop manual so I'm fairly sure they are cool with it. To be sure ask your local Apple Store. :)

They tell you how to swap the hard drive and memory in the laptop manual so I'm fairly sure they are cool with it. To be sure ask your local Apple Store. :)

I don't remember having ANY problem with swapping memory/HDDs in any brand I ever owned, these are kinda of expected things that all manufacturers allow for. It's quite a bit easier on PC's though with most of them having specialized doors on the bottom just for quick access.

Older Macs where a huge pain in the ass to swap the Hard Drive, you had to disassemble pretty much every thing in some cases :-D

As for keeping the RAM and Hard Drive, if at some point you're having issues with it and Apple decides to replace it, they might want to have everything as it left the factory.

Well I've swapped in more RAM and a larger HD, but I still have the original components.

So I tried the jailbreakme.com thing on my moms iPhone 4, which worked fine. I then tried on my dads, and when it started to reboot it remained stuck at the apple logo. So I was forced to do a restore, which updated me to 4.0.2...what options do I have now to jailbreak it?

Assuming you saved the phone's shsh blobs for 4.0.1 (or 4.0) like I (not to mention everyone involved in the jailbreak scene) have been yelling about doing, just use Firmware Umbrella or the Cydia TSS server and restore 4.0.1. If you ignored the repeated suggestions to back them up, and have already upgraded to 4.0.2, you're SOL. Apple finally stopped signing 4.0.1 a day or two ago.

Last edited: