Is Al Gore BULLSHIT?!

Vambeer

Car(s)
2003 FIAT Punto Sporting 95HP, 2011 Volvo S60 1.6D
As always i did not know where to put this thread so i put it in "off topic". Anyway, i saw bullshit the other day and it featured a subject of great interest to me and i think many other people in here: ECO mania... It said some interesting stuff and even though i don't think of Bullshit as the absolute scientific resource it got me thinking. Are cars really so damaging to the envirnment? And what about planes? Or trains,or factories? They said that 97% of CO2 come from natural sources (volcanos, animals and other) and only 3% is from human activities...ACTIVITIES! not just the cars...So, maybe we are overreacting a bit? And from that overreaction some people become very,very rich? I'd like to hear your opinions and maybe if you know some good resources...

what that?s all you found? there must be at least half a gazillion threads on this board about al gore lying to all the tree huggers... but one more can?t really hurt can it?

We have gone over this more then a few times, but i think its worth posting one of the graphs i recently found

image277.gif

Whats more interesting is if you do your own research and discover which times life thrived the most, usually its during times when CO2 seems out of control.

My basic point is that i can't see how a total 0.5% a percentage increase from humans can matter one bit when we know for a fact that there has been 1800% the amount of C02, and when that was the case life actually prospered.

If you want to be environmental then feel free to complain about wasting limited resources and pumping actual pollutents like Carbon Monoxide into the atmosphere, complaining about C02 is like loathing Hitler not for the war or the Holocaust but because he had a stupid mustache.

I think if nothing else look up the older Bullshit were they interview Patrick Moore, and or just look up Patrick himself, i think if anyone has a good idea of what environmentalism (or neo-environmentalismhas as i like to call it) turned into, he does.

I'll second the sentiment that the environmentalists are far too concentrated on emissions in general. One would think they'd be more concerned about clear-cutting forests/hunting endangered species/destruction of habitats/oil spills/etc.

Part of the problem, well, most of it, is that the current environment movement is more anti-corporate, anti-globalization then they are actually for the preservation of the environment.

The only good to come out of the discussion is a reduction in waste.

Use our resources wisely, using no more than absolutely necessary. You don't really need a 4.5L engine to get 300hp when, for example, the Japanese do the same from just a 2.0L block. Okay the driving experience is different and there is much less torque for example, but some sacrifice is necessary in the name of conservation.

The only good to come out of the discussion is a reduction in waste.
You know, smaller displacement doesn't automatically mean better gas mileage ;). I do agree with that whole "reduce, reuse, recycle" bit, in that order.

You know, smaller displacement doesn't automatically mean better gas mileage ;). I do agree with that whole "reduce, reuse, recycle" bit, in that order.

Except that recycling plastic costs your local government millions of dollars. Its much cheaper and easier to put it in a landfill.

Exactly, since when do governments genuinely care about the environment?

They just use the environmentalist movement to scam more money off us so they can spend it all their big V8 limos and other expensive rides.

Except that recycling plastic costs your local government millions of dollars. Its much cheaper and easier to put it in a landfill.

That's only one part of the process...... what about the cost of drilling oil, refining it, transporting it and all the rest? The point is why go out and dig something up when you already have plenty of the stuff available that just needs a little work to re-use it.

Tigger: I know, and from experience. ;) Those with nutty 2.0L engines like me show to others that you don't need larger engines so some people will switch from 4L blocks that they do 60mph in to smaller normal 2-2.5L blocks that get better mileage than me but also better mileage than their huge V8.