It's here, the new FG Falcon!!

A somewhat subtle face lift with new alloys. The interior is good, but somewhat boring. It's good to see the transmissions get the upgrade they deserved -- that base 4 speed auto needed to go.

It's not a facelift - it's a complete re-skin of the existing platform with some drivetrain upgrades.

It's not a facelift - it's a complete re-skin of the existing platform with some drivetrain upgrades.

I know, but the "re-skin" is somewhat subtle -- certainly not done to the extent of the Commodore.

Old XR6

800px-2005-2006_Ford_BF_Falcon_Ute_XR6_Turbo.jpg

New XR8

XR8-Styleside_L_700.jpg

But yeah, I agree, it's technically a "re-skin" but it's so subtle that you could argue that it's just a face lift.

well it's actually new enough to be called all-new. Underneath, only 20% of the old platform remains and there have been significant enough changes in track and wheelbase.

FPV_GT1_m_m.jpg

here is the GT, no power figures just yet...

They can't easily, it was designed only to be LHD.

Perfect! But doesn't that make them illegal in AUS? I thought cars have to be of a certain age before LHD cars are legally allowed on AUS roads.

That car looks amazing. Ford NA needs to bring that here NOW.

I'd use a late 90's Mustang. Or possibly a Crown Vic. It could almost pass :cry:

Looks similar to the BA/BF, but I suspect that's because Ford decided to follow Holden's methodology (VY->VZ->VE) in order to give the public time to warm to it. The XR8 looks pretty good, and the power figures seem to support it..

Can't say I like the black plastic all over the GT, but it obviously works alright for the Clubsport because I see heaps of them around.

The big question is the price, particularly of the base model - most fleets have gravitated towards Holdens because they came out first, but if Ford undercut Holden by around $1000 they might pick up a few sales. Perhaps they might go back to offering taxi yellow as a standard colour again?

I like it.. I like it a lot but i am extremely disappointed that the XR6T has more torque than the XR8...

XR6 - 391nm
XR6T - 533nm
XR8 - 520nm

I know the inline six is a hell of a car but i love my v8's.. :(

Also looking at the stats on ford.com.au, is it really worth buying an XR6 when every performance spec is the same as the XT Falcon?

Looks great, but the overall front and rear reminds me of an accord for some reason.

Don't hate it as much as the AU, but i find it less attractive than the BA. It is too awkward and is simply yet another styling update on the now 10 year old AU chassis.

I can imagine the designers sitting around a table saying,
"We are stuck with the ugly old roof-line and glass from the AU falcon, but how can we give it a styling update?"
"I know! Lets randomly throw in some body creases like those new BMW's"
"Check"
"How about some Mercedes tail-lights for that touch of class?"
"Done"
"What about some big flared wheel arches like the AUDI's have?"
"Worked for the new VE commodore!"
"Now to just make the head-lights more pointy..... and we're done!"
"Good job team!"

Ok, yeah maybe i am being a bit too harsh but i do love the Turbo 6. Best engine ever in an aussie car.

Subtle? It's 100% cosmetically different. As for the Commodore - that wasn't a re-skin - the VE sits on an entirely new platform.

Well yeah the VE commodore is a whole new chassis with new suspension etc...
This new falcon is still using the AU chassis... notice the glass and roofline is the same from AU > BA > G-thing.

Well yeah the VE commodore is a whole new chassis with new suspension etc...
This new falcon is still using the AU chassis... notice the glass and roofline is the same from AU > BA > G-thing.

Not really.
BA had the roofline "flattened" by 10mm and it looks like the FG has also this changed.

The FG gets a new front suspension and updated driveline, revised engines, strengthened chassis, new doors, new interior and some new electronic gadgets among other changes.

Last edited:
I stand corrected if thats the case. Roofline looks the same to me in photos, but 10mm would be hard to notice.

Front suspension is lifted from the ford territory.

Last edited: