MLB '10 Regular Season Thread

I hope its an Expo. Keep that franchise alive a bit longer.

Well my guess is as an Expo, but he did win an MVP with the Cubs and I personally remember his as a Cub. My mother's side of the family are Cardinal fans and I grew up hating him and Ryne Sandberg.

So it looks like the Rangers inked Vlad to a 1 year deal...while reading the article on it, I can across a line that always bothers me.

The aging slugger is a .394 career hitter at Rangers Ballpark, with 14 homers and 33 RBIs in 50 games.

Yeah we get it, he rakes against the Rangers shit pitchers. It is not indicative of future success against say the Red Sox, or the Yankees, or even the Mariners.

Chapman to the Reds for $30 million. That was.....unexpected.

Yeah we get it, he rakes against the Rangers shit pitchers. It is not indicative of future success against say the Red Sox, or the Yankees, or even the Mariners.
Most pitchers are shit pitchers at Rangers Park. I think that's what he was trying to get at.

Chapman to the Reds for $30 million. That was.....unexpected.
Tell me about it. I know he thinks he's ready for the big leagues and getting a chance to start right away was a big part of his decision, but the Reds didn't even cross my mind. He got more than I expected, but if it works out for them... :cry:

The Reds, if Chapman works out, will have a pretty nasty 1-2.

The Reds, if Chapman works out, will have a pretty nasty 1-2.

Add in Jay Bruce, Brandon Phillips, and Joey Votto and that isn't too bad a base to build a team around.*

*Knows nothing about the Cincinnati Reds.

ESPN said:
McGwire Admits Steroids Use

In other obvious news the sky is blue, the grass is green, and the Yankees suck.

"I am pleased that Mark McGwire has confronted his use of performance-enhancing substances as a player," said commissioner Bud Selig in a statement. "This statement of contrition, I believe, will make Mark's reentry into the game much smoother and easier.

"The so-called Steroid Era -- a reference that is resented by the many players who played in that era and never touched the substances -- is clearly a thing of the past, and Mark's admission today is another step in the right direction."

La Russa praised McGwire for his admission of guilt.

"No one on the teams I managed worked harder or better than Mark. And now, his willingness to admit mistakes, express his regret, and explain the circumstances that led him to use steroids add to my respect for him," the St. Louis manager said in a statement. "I've defended Mark because I observed him develop his unique power hitting skill through a rigorous physical and fundamental work out program."
These statements make me sick. Fucking conniving enablers.

On a much lighter note, Mad Dog's back in town!

The Chicago Cubs may have made their most important acquisition of the offseason Monday by adding a future Hall of Famer.

The organization will announce Monday afternoon that 350-game winner Greg Maddux has been signed to become a special assistant to general manager Jim Hendry in 2010.

Maddux's duties will include helping with instruction for both major-leaguers and minor-leaguers during spring training, as well as scouting duties throughout the season.

According to a source with knowledge of the signing, Maddux will be at the beck and call of Hendry during the season to evaluate minor-league affiliates and give the general manger input when trades or free-agent signings are being considered.

Maddux retired after the 2008 season with the San Diego Padres. A four-time Cy Young Award winner, the right-hander had two stints with the Cubs. Originally Maddux came up through the Cubs organization, making his major-league debut in 1986.

He left as a free agent in 1993 after winning his first Cy Young in 1992. From '93 to 2003, Maddux pitched for the Atlanta Braves, who made the playoffs every season with Maddux.

He returned to the Cubs in 2004 and was traded at the tail end of the 2006 season to the Dodgers for shortstop Cesar Izturis. Maddux won his 300th game as a Cub on the road in San Francisco during the 2005 season.

Among baseball people, Maddux is considered one of the best and brightest when it comes to the thinking man's part part of the game.

Maddux called many a pitch for catchers during games he wasn't pitching. Urban legend has Maddux calling every pitch for Cubs starter Frank Castillo during his four-hit, one-run performance in a game in 1992.

The 43-year-old Las Vegas native will be eligible for Hall of Fame voting in Jan., 2014. He, along with Ferguson Jenkins, had his Cubs No. 31 retired last summer in Wrigley Field.
This must be a Rickkets move. Awesome. :D

Cubs eyeing Sheets!

The Cubs plan to make a run at free-agent pitcher Ben Sheets, who will work out for teams later this month.

General manager Jim Hendry declined to comment, but he spoke to Sheets' agent at the winter meetings in Indianapolis and major-league sources say the Cubs are one of Sheet's preferred destinations.

Sheets reportedly has been asking for a two-year deal averaging around $10 million to $12 million per year, but the Cubs believe they have a good shot at landing him with an incentive-laden deal.

The 31-year-old right-hander, who spent his entire career with the Brewers, has a history of injuries, including arm and back problems, an inner-ear infection and blisters. He missed the 2009 season following elbow surgery.

In eight seasons pitching for the Brewers, Sheets posted an 86-83 record with suspect teams while compiling a 3.72 earned-run average. If Sheets is healthy and his desire to pitch for the Cubs is real, he could give manager Lou Piniella a formidable rotation in 2010, anchored by Carlos Zambrano, Ryan Dempster and Ted Lilly.

With Lilly expected to miss at least a month after arthroscopic shoulder surgery, Randy Wells would then move to fifth starter after Lilly's return, with newly acquired Carlos Silva serving as long man in the bullpen.
Get it done, Jimbo! :D

I don't see how a guy who missed all of 2009 thinks he's getting 10-12mil per. I see him signing with someone at like 7-8mil with some innings based multipliers.

Pitchers and Catchers report soon! Its almost here.

NFL Season is over.

Truck day happened!

Spring Training tickets are here.

less then 2 weeks gentlemen!

Truck day was today for the Phillies! :)

The most important box transported to Spring Training of all time:

HalladayBox.jpg

I am shocked that all the news about a 2 time Cy Young winner gets almost no posts! Anyways Tim Lincecum and the Giants avoid arbitration (for this year) and give him a two year contract for $23 million. In a sense they split the deal, with 8 million the first year (the same number the Giants asked in arbitration) and 13 million for the 2nd (same Tim asked for).

But the Giants still have him two more year of arbitration with Tim after 2011, I wish they locked him up longer but I bet Timmy wanted a shorter deal and build more value.

Dear folks: I'm making a fantasy baseball league with PLENTY of time for everyone to get into it.

The Final Gear Baseball League

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/leagueoffice?leagueId=28107

The password is "thestig"

Draft date is 31 March at 9:30pm EST, which is WELL over a month from this point, and at a point were its at 9:30est, 6:30pst and 2am British time if any of you cricket weirdos want to play :lol: (Just kidding I love you).

Lets try to fill this up!