My 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo

Nice car.

I have a question for everyone here who has driven 944s. I drove an early NA version and the steering was ridiculously heavy. My brother said the early models had no PS and were heavy as a result, but I couldn't imagine my wife being able to drive the car at all, it was that bad. I think the rims were stock.

Do you think that was normal?

Ah, cheers. I thought it must have had PS but it had failed because it was almost undriveable.
I don't know how anyone weaker than me (small percentage of the population) would get on.

I remember my mum driving our old '69 Fairmont with no PS and having to pull down on the wheel with both arms and her whole body weight, bitching about how hard it was to steer at parking speeds, the 944 probably had wider rims and a quicker rack so I guess it makes sense.

My 944 doesn't have power steering and I get on just fine. I actually kind of like it, especially in long sweeping turns. The tight ones can be tough, but you get an awesome feeling of the road.

My 944 doesn't have power steering and I get on just fine. I actually kind of like it, especially in long sweeping turns. The tight ones can be tough, but you get an awesome feeling of the road.
The factory manual rack in the 83 has a different steering ratio I'm pretty sure. A lot of guys will swap out their power racks for the 83's for that reason.

It can't be that bad, I drove my mustang for 6 months without PS and it had a big heavy V8 in the front.
With a tiny steering wheel it feels so much worse. I've had a few people that drove my car and asked, "This doesn't have power steering?" even when the power steering was working great. I love the weighty steering though- it gives so much feedback.

Did a quick Google and found these comments...

Does anyone know if all 944's are supposed to have power steering, this one feels very heavy to drive (I am used to power steering)

I have an '84 944 and because it doesn't have power steering my wife can't drive it! Shame.

Sorry to hijack your thread, back to your car. Do you, or do you plan to, do any autocross type stuff or trackdays?

Everyone bitches when they come from power steering to manual steering! Well, I did today after driving my Bluebird after the E34.. :lol: But I'm with Twerp, the feeling you get from manual steering is quite nice and reassuring :)

Oh, beautiful 951. I like the stock wheels painted black, works quite well. Brother used to have a '85 NA 2.5 and my dad used to have one as well. Good cars

I had to live with manual steering on my 944 for 2 months when power assistance crapped out (some plumbing issue, don't remember). It was brutal when parking :)
I tried other non-assisted 944, and it was a lot easier, because obviously I still had my assisted steering-rack which just wasn't helping.

Agree with normansan though, weighty power-assisted steering is great. When you drive a modern car after that steering wheel feels completely disconnected.