My US roadtrip + NYC stay: want to help out with some travel tips?

Really? my sister was there just last week and said it was still just as dank as she had remembered (she used to live in NYC). zaitzeff does look good tho...

Maybe different locations are different, Zaitzeff is the best burger I ever had though. The one in the financial district is definitely the best one of the ones I had been to.
Some other places to consider:
Moo Burger in Downtown BK
Saigon Market near Union Square (relatively cheap good food)
Mermaid Inn Upper West side or Village, mainly fish/seafood
Pie and Thighs in Williamsburg for southern style food

Don't bother with Shake Shack, its hella popular and has giant lines but completely not worth it IMO.

*cough* Kuma's Corner.

Wouldn't you be better off flying to Chicago, driving to New York and then flying home from there? :confused: You don't sound like you're planning to make a lot of stops along the way, so you'll probably end up driving there and back on very similar roads - if I were you, I'd save my time and energy for some fun on the backroads, rather than spend all that time on the Interstate.

As for rental companies, check if any of your credit cards/memberhips/other qualifies you for some sort of discount and/or free insurance. I've become a happily loyal Hertz customer because I get complete insurance and (often) a discount through my Hostelling International membership, so if you can find something similar, it can help you.

Cars... I'd recommend following the Way of the May :)may:) and Jay and getting something that you can actually take to its limits legally and which doesn't scream "STOP ME!!!" at every bored cop. Ditch it as soon as you're done driving across the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and around Long Island, driving in NYC (particularly Manhattan) is annoying. Oh, and give the Holland Tunnel a try if you want a bit of "this isn't funny anymore".

Attractions: See if the New York Pass is any good for you; if you want to do and see the things it includes, it can save you a lot of money and also some time. Adding to what's been said and/or is included in the pass, take the Staten Island ferry from Battery Park - to the island and right back again. It's free, relaxing and it gives you a nice view of Lady Liberty.
If you need or want a quiet day out, go to Broad Channel and marvel at the sleepy little village that it is - right next to JFK and with the skyscrapers of Manhattan nearby. Continue to Rockaway Park and stick your feet in the Atlantic if you haven't already done so at e.g. Smith Point.

Because airfares:

Oslo-NYC-Oslo = $1000
Oslo-Chicago (drive from CH-NYC) NYC-Oslo = $3000 (not counting the rental costs driving from Chicago-NYC in between there)

Do you know any back roads I could take? I'd love to avoid the interstates yes.

And those are some great NYC tips you got there, thank you!!

No! http://zaitzeff.com/ BB has been crappy lately :(

Damn, I'm prepared to gain some serious weight while I'm in the US :D

*cough* Kuma's Corner.

Lemme Google ..

Hell I'm eating at all of those places.

Last edited:
Because airfares:

Oslo-NYC-Oslo = $1000
Oslo-Chicago (drive from CH-NYC) NYC-Oslo = $3000
Oh... I guess you're flying Norwegian? That would explain it - no flights to Chicago and no partner airlines either. Anyway, unless Norwegian's reliability has finally changed for the better, I can't recommend taking the risk of booking a ticket from JFK to O'Hare for directly after your arrival.

(not counting the rental costs driving from Chicago-NYC in between there)
Trying for a one-way rental has always been a crap shoot for me, sometimes there is just a minute extra charge and sometimes you can't help laughing at their idea of an offer.

Do you know any back roads I could take? I'd love to avoid the interstates yes.
Not really... perhaps you can find something nice on Google Maps (and Street View), the SW shore of Lake Erie might be a possibility. I also found this on the web:

In southwestern Pennsylvania is a gorgeous chunk of real estate known as Laurel Highlands. It might sound familiar as the location of Fallingwater, the famous Frank Lloyd Wright house. You might also have heard of it from buddies who have driven Route 30 from Bald Knob Summit to Ligonier or 711/381 to Farmington. The section between Ligonier and Fallingwater has some excellent whoop-de-dos.
SW Pennsylvania doesn't look like too much of a detour... and Bald Knob Summit sounds too good to be true. Excuse me while I'm 12 for a moment. :D

And those are some great NYC tips you got there, thank you!!
You're very welcome! I forgot about Tom's Restaurant which is nice and IMHO belongs on the list of every tourist who isn't racing to just the major sights. Oh, and there is of course B&H Photo - do NOT bring your credit card! ;-)

SW Pennsylvania doesn't look like too much of a detour... and Bald Knob Summit sounds too good to be true. Excuse me while I'm 12 for a moment. :D

If you shift your route south to pass through SW Pennsylvania, then Dayton, Ohio is basically on your way. If you have an interest in military aircraft then the National Museum of the USAF is worth a visit. (http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/)

Thanks, great tip :)

If you shift your route south to pass through SW Pennsylvania, then Dayton, Ohio is basically on your way. If you have an interest in military aircraft then the National Museum of the USAF is worth a visit. (http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/)

Seconded! I also live just 40min south of that museum if you wanna stop by A fellow final gear member in the way.